First post in BirdForum and a few boring UK birds

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

krisbell

First post in BirdForum and a few boring UK birds

Post by krisbell »

Hi all,

I am a longtime member and poster in FHF but thought I would say hello in the birding forum and see if it is frequented by similarly enlightened and pleasant folk as FHF is. I cant say hi and not share a few pics so please see a small selection from two days spent in the UK last week. I live on a very small island which has little in the way of wildlife - which kind of makes me one extremely frustrated wildlife photographer!

Cheers, Kris

ImageBlue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) by Kristian Bell, on Flickr

ImageBuzzard (Buteo buteo) in the rain by Kristian Bell, on Flickr

ImageTawny Owl (Strix aluco) by Kristian Bell, on Flickr

ImageGreat Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) by Kristian Bell, on Flickr
JAMAUGHN

Re: First post in BirdForum and a few boring UK birds

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Maybe this doesn't speak well of me, but I didn't find that boring at all. Great photography and beautiful birds!

JimM
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

I agree, your post totally failed to bore me. I'd love to get a shot of any one of those 4, let alone great shots like yours.

When I was a kid, a family friend bought me a membership in the Gerald Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust (or whatever the kids' membership was called). I used to get newsletters, calendars, and posters featuring the incredibly rare species they were breeding. I think I might still have a Mauritius Kestrel or an Antiguan Racer poster lying around somewhere. Anyway, I always thought it seemed like a really cool place, and that was how I became aware of Jersey.
krisbell

Post by krisbell »

Thanks Jim and cbernz for the comments.

Yep one of Jersey's claims to fame is the zoo (now known simply as Durrell i think). It is a fantastic place that does really great work. We are also known for our potatoes - which are ready earlier than anywhere else in the UK due to our (comparatively) mild climate, and also for our cows, which produce extremely creamy milk (and are supposedly very attractive as cows go - no comment). I lived in rural north east Australia for several years and was more than a little surprised when one of the locals there said "she has tits like a jersey cow". It isnt something I had ever heard in Jersey and the lady who said it had no idea about the providence of such a saying!
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Yeah, we have Jersey cows in the States as well - you see them often in rural New England, which is renowned for its great dairy products. To me they just look like a plain brown cow, and if you compared a woman to one you might end up in the hospital.