Tejon Ranch in Spring 2015? Tentative Dates Announced.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

todd battey

Tejon Ranch in Spring 2015? Tentative Dates Announced.

Post by todd battey »

Happy New Year, California Chapter. I'm interested in finding out from chapter members the interest level in trips to Tejon Ranch in the spring of 2015. Please let me know if you think you would attend one or more trips and what area(s) you would like to visit (or what species you would be interested in seeing). Keep in mind there are a variety of habitat/geomorphic provice options including Antelope Valley (Mojave Desert), San Joaquin Valley (Central Valley), Tehachapi Mountains, etc. We have artificial cover arays in all these areas we can visit or we can visit rocky habitat or we can focus on finding animals in new areas. Many options....

Attendance of trips has fallen off the last couple years and, if interest is limited, I will plan fewer open trips. It's time for me to get some trips on the calendar so the Tejon Ranch Conservancy can plan their other activities around our date(s).

Todd
mattg

Re: Tejon Ranch in Spring 2015?

Post by mattg »

I'm definitely interested, last year was a blast ! :thumb:
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

With enough notice, I would be interested.

I'd love to see a Sierra zonata!
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

As always, Nick and I are very keen on going back to Tejon Ranch. Looking for zonata, rubber boas and Tehachapi slenders (plus golden eagles and condors) at the higher elevations would be great. But we would also like to find some SJ Coachwhips on the CV side and/or go back to the place on the CV side where we found that golden NorPac plus several Calkings, YB Ensatina, etc. Whatever you put on the calendar, we will definitely be there.

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Except for the weekend of 4/10 (the National meet) say when and where and we'll (At Least Jacob and I) will be there... :thumb:
Ted

Post by Ted »

I'd love to go, but being in college on the east coast for now I doubt I'll be out here. If my breaks happen to fall during any of the trip dates, I'd love to go again! :thumb:
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Todd,
I am interested but not certain my body would be in condition to participate. I would only ber interested in a May venture at upper elevation.

Ted:
Is the adult hen Red-tail a falconry bird or rahab bird?
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

I'm game for another trip down there, but would prefer to explore a different location.

Lawrence
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Yeah, Lawrence is tired of finding zonata up there. Let's offer him something a little more exciting this time. ;)

Robert
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

RobertH wrote:Yeah, Lawrence is tired of finding zonata up there. Let's offer him something a little more exciting this time. ;)

Robert
Yep, give me a challenge would you?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Blunt nose Lepoards, San Joaquin Coach, and Yellow Blotch Ensatinas sound good to me... :thumb: jim
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

It looks like I will be in California from the weekend of April 17th/18th up through at least the end of April, possibly part of May. I'd probably vote for valley side first (never been there, would love to see bluntnose leopards and SJ coachwhip), and Tehachapi Slenders second. Finding a new locale for Tehachapis would be fun, but I'd even stop by an old locale just to see them for the first time.

No one has found a patchnose on the ranch yet, have they?
daniel

Post by daniel »

I also would be interested in attending this spring, any area.

daniel
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Matty and I are down
herpingsandiego

Post by herpingsandiego »

I would be interested to attend this spring in Any area.

jacob
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

You rock Todd,

Thank you for your efforts..

I am interested in helping with atleast one event. We do have the National event here in Cali on the weekend of the April 10th I think. (You should attend :) )

I think we spoiled Lawrence, and need to step up the levels toughness a little, ha jk :lol: :lol:

:thumb:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Todd... are we all done with the White Wolf Accquisition area?? know that we've documented Z's n Rubbers in one area... time to find new locales??? :D
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Would definitely be up for going but if work gets in the way then it gets in the way.
Phillodactylus

Post by Phillodactylus »

I will do what I can to go!

-Phil
todd battey

Re: Tejon Ranch in Spring 2015? Tentative Dates Announced.

Post by todd battey »

Here are the currently planned trips to Tejon Ranch open to NAFHA members. The goal is to sample a variety of habitats and, for the last 2 trips, collect herp data as part of an ongoing TR Conservancy study on the effects of cattle grazing on the Blunt-nosed Leopard Lizard (no collecting, touching, or annoying the BNLLs). We hope to round up good-sized groups for these trips in May and June. Participants with BNLL experience will be especially helpful.

Here are the dates and planned destinations:

- 03/28/15 (Sa) - Check boards on the north side of Bear Mountain and one or two other destinations
- 04/19/15 (Su) - Tejon Canyon to El Paso Creek
- 05/31/15 (Su) - Comanche Point (prime habitat) and 2 study pastures for Blunt-nosed Leopard Lizard surveys
- 06/14/15 (Su) - Comanche Point and 2 different study pastures for Blunt-nosed Leopard Lizard surveys

If you are interested in one or more if these dates, please send me the following information in a PM to reserve a spot: name of all attendees in group, if any in group are minors, phone number, email address, and mailing address. Space on the first 2 trips will be available on first come, first served basis. Please only notify me after you reasonably sure you can make it. The last 2 trips will probably not have a limit on number of attendees.

All attendees will be required to sign a form to waive liability and to agree that all collected data will be made available to the Tejon Ranch Conservancy.

Hopefully, we will have well-attended trips, especially for the last two trips.

See you at the Ranch!

Todd
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Im interested in attending one of the earlier two trips. I really enjoyed the outing in 2013.. Is one of those first two trips the high elevation stuff?

-Dan
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Nicholas and I can't make the first survey on 3-28, but plan to attend the second one on 4-19 and one of the BNLL surveys in May or June.

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

1 and 3, sounds good to me... :D
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Matty and I would like to attend all of them, but I am waiting to hear about some other dates
Ted

Post by Ted »

I'm up for both lizard surveys
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

We have a new possible date for a Tejon Ranch field trip. Please see the separate post: "Tejon Ranch Bio Blitz on May 9 with Possible Camping." If interested, follow the instructions in that post.

On a more general note, if you want to go on a future TR trip, it is important to contact my by PM with your contact info as soon as you can commit to the date. Trips that do not reach critical mass will be cancelled. Our future trips for this season have marginal attendance so far, so if you are hoping to go and have not yet PM'd me, please do so ASAP.

Thanks to those of you that have been proactive enough to sign up early.

Enjoy your spring herping!

Todd
todd battey

Re: Tejon Ranch in Spring 2015? Updated 5/29/15.

Post by todd battey »

Hello,

As our strange spring season winds on, I am providing this update on our final planned trip to Tejon Ranch. The trip we had scheduled this weekend is being cancelled, leaving our last planned trip on 06/14/15. To summarize....

- 05/31/15 (Su) - Cancelled for a number of reasons. Sorry for the short notice.
- 06/14/15 (Su) - Comanche Point to place boards for San Joaquin Valley species. Good chance of seeing Blunt-nosed Leopard Lizards, which may be photographed from a distance (no handling of this protected species). Other SJ Valley species, such as the Coachwhip, are possible. We saw a few Northern Pacific Rattlesnakes on our previous trip here.

If you are interested in this last trip for the season, please send me the following information in a PM to reserve a spot: name of all attendees in group, if any in group are minors, phone number, email address, and mailing address. Please only notify me after you reasonably sure you can make it. The last 2 trips will probably not have a limit on number of attendees. This last trip may be cancelled due to another freak cool-down, which could make the BNL Lizards tough to find, or due to limited interest.

All attendees will be required to sign a form to waive liability and to agree that all collected data will be made available to the Tejon Ranch Conservancy.

Hopefully, we the weather will cooperate for the last trip.

Todd