Everglades upcoming trip. Feb 16

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

HerpMan ATL

Everglades upcoming trip. Feb 16

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Hey everyone.
Going to the Everglades in mid February. Haven't been since I was a kid. I'll be looking mainly for snakes. Lots of lifers in that area for me if I can find them. Was just wondering what if anyone has advice. We plan on road cruising(main park road) late afternoon and at night and hiking during the day. Does that sound like the best plan or should I road cruise in the morning after it warms up? Could also use some tips for night photography.
Here's a recent photo with my new 20mm lens. I really like photos that show more habitat so I bought this lens just for that .
ImageDusky Salamander by cre8foru2009, on Flickr
PrimitiveTim

Re: Everglades upcoming trip. Feb 16

Post by PrimitiveTim »

bring a really good light and go shining. Shining is my favorite way to herp. You never know what you'll find down there. Do some shining outside of the park for some interesting exotics. I think the exotics are more fun to find anyway....
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Thanks Tim. I like finding exotics too but there are lots of native species there that would be lifers for me so Im excited to find anything. Not sure where to look outside the park but I plan on doing some shining inside the park.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I haven't really been in that area that time of year. I've been in Collier County in March, and had decent luck road cruising the afternoons if it was sunny and around dusk.

Night photography - use a flash, and it seems like if you have a diffuser of some sorts that can help too.