Press Release California Fishing license, stuff

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fundad

Press Release California Fishing license, stuff

Post by Fundad »

It's about time. My favorite quote is in bold.

Fundad

California Department of Fish and Game News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - September 16, 2010

Contacts:
Richard Reyes, DFG License and Revenue Branch, (916) 928-6899
Lorna Bernard, DFG Communications, (916) 322-8911

Department of Fish and Game Pilots New Automated License Data System for Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Director John McCamman announced today that Californians will soon purchase hunting and fishing licenses using a real-time automated system. Developed especially for DFG, the Automated License Data System (ALDS) is already in place at DFG license sales offices. The system will be piloted at select license agent locations beginning the week of Sept. 20, with full statewide implementation expected between November 2010 and early January 2011.

"This system is the largest of its kind in the world," said Director McCamman. "This long-awaited, long-requested system will provide an unmatched level of service to our license-buying constituents."

Unlike automated systems in other states, California's ALDS is a real-time system.

"A real-time system gives customers immediate access to our license inventory which will eliminate the need to visit a DFG office or wait for high-demand products to be issued via mail," said James Fong, chief of DFG's License and Revenue Branch. "For example, a deer hunter will be able to go to his or her local license agent and immediately purchase any available deer tag rather than having to mail in an application or travel to a DFG office to make the purchase."

ALDS will provide numerous advantages to fishing and hunting license buyers. License Agents won't run out of licenses and stamps, for example, and customers will be able to easily replace lost licenses at any license agent for a reduced fee.

"The advantages of this system go far beyond convenience," said Fong. "Not only will we be able to improve customer service, but we will be able to use the information in the database to better manage wildlife and comply with federal grant requirements, which translates into more revenue for our wildlife management and enforcement programs."

During the first year of ALDS, customers should be aware that new requirements exist. For example, items issued through ALDS will be subject to a three percent surcharge for system maintenance. Also, customers must provide some form of legal identification and a telephone number when they first make a purchase through ALDS. Customers are able to purchase licenses for other people as long as the licensee's prior year license is provided along with a driver license number. Without the prior year license, the purchaser must provide the licensees date of birth, legal identification number and type, address, and physical description. If the purchaser does not have all of the licensees personal data, they can purchase a license voucher that can be redeemed for a sport fishing or hunting license at any ALDS license agent.

The new requirements will ensure a complete and accurate customer database, reduce the risk of fraud, improve DFG's ability to better manage resources, provide more equitable outdoor opportunities and meet federal mandates that require complete customer data. Although customers may experience slower license sales transaction times the first year, the process will be quicker in the future, as the customer's information will already be in the system.

The license agents in the initial pilot of ALDS include:

- Browns Sporting Goods - Garberville, Calif.
- Kalinas Hardware - Malin, Oregon
- The Tackle Box - Salinas, Calif.
- H & M Landing - San Diego, Calif.
- *Big 5 - El Segundo, Calif.
- *Walmart - Susanville, Calif.
- *Sports Authority - Temecula, Calif.
- Broadway Bait, Rod & Gun - Sacramento, Calif.
- Herb Bauer Sporting Goods - Fresno, Calif.
- Doms Outdoor Outfitters - Livermore, Calif.
- Diamond Sporting Goods - Ukiah, Calif.
- Floyds General Store - Bakersfield, Calif.
- The Grant Boys - Costa Mesa, Calif.
- *Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World - Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- Half Moon Bay Sportfishing and Tackle - Half Moon Bay, Calif.
- Newport Landing - Newport Beach, Calif.

*This location only

Traditional hunting and fishing licenses will still be available at non-ALDS license agents until the system is fully implemented statewide. Fishing licenses also continue to be available for purchase online at www.calicensetofish.com. Hunting licenses are expected to be available for purchase online in 2011.

To find a license agent near you, or to learn more about ALDS, please visit the DFG website at www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing.

####
geckoguy747

Re: Press Release California Fishing license, stuff

Post by geckoguy747 »

i like the sound of this! definitely long overdue.
billboard

Post by billboard »

HOW MUCH MORE A YEAR WILL THIS COST US?
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

HOW MUCH MORE A YEAR WILL THIS COST US?
A million each, :lol: :lol: And why are you yelling?? :lol:

It didn't say how much. It should save them money over the long run.

Fundad
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Fundad wrote: :lol: And why are you yelling?? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Refresh my memory on this - do I and why do I need this license to herp? I don't collect - I just photograph.....
billboard

Post by billboard »

Sometimes I get real exited, and hit the caps lock key by mistake! I just get so tired of everything getting so expensive, and yes, you need a lisc. to photograph if you are out in the field searching for,or pursuing reptiles.
rosy-man

Post by rosy-man »

I buy one just to fish what ever perks their might be good tired of the inflation.
Erik_NorCal

Post by Erik_NorCal »

Thanks for the update.
Three percent surcharge for system maintenance. That's not so bad. I think I paid forty something for the 2010 tag.
- Doms Outdoor Outfitters - Livermore, Calif. <--- Good people
devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 »

Awesome post! Thanks Fundad. It just so happens that I live near one of the locations. :)
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Here are some regulations quoted from the DFG site: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing ... scrip.html

A fishing license is "required for a resident 16 years of age or older to take fish, mollusks, crustaceans, invertebrates, amphibians or reptile in inland or ocean waters." (Emphasis added)

"Fish and Game Code Section 86 defines "Take" as hunt, pursue, catch, capture, or kill, or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill." (Emphasis added)

The critical words here would seem to be "pursue" and "attempt to pursue." Arguably, we sometimes pursue reptiles and amphibians to photograph them, though that's certainly not always the case. If you come across a coiled up helleri and snap a picture of it, I don't see how that could be construed as pursuing it or attempting to pursue it. Same for many other, similar situations.

Frankly, I think that we herpers hold ourselves to a much higher standard in terms of compliance with the law than necessary. You see, I used to freedive and photograph fish - and pursue them in order to do so - many, many times. In fact, that is what underwater photographers do all the time. They see a fish, they try to get as close as possible, and then they take the shot. I find it absurd to think that a DFG official would ever hassle an underwater photographer for taking pictures of fish without a license. And I would bet it has never happened. So, unless there is some kind of a double standard--one for underwater photographers and fish, and another for terrestrial photographers and herps--which is doubtful, I would conclude that photographing herps and "pursuing them" to do so is no less legal than taking pictures of fish.

What, I think, is really going on is that many of us don't just take pictures, but also capture herps. And for that, you do clearly do need a license. In practice, this means that anyone walking around with a snake stick is viewed as potentially delinquent--and may be asked to show a license.

Whatever the applicability of the licensing requirements, I find it ridiculous that for the price of $41, anyone can purchase the right to go out in the field and capture and even kill herps (with some exceptions, of course), and fish for that matter. In other countries, you have to pass at least some basic test to get a fishing license. Sure, tests are a PITA and don't mean all that much. But if the State of CA were really concerned about protecting fish, reptiles and amphibians, they wouldn't just put a $40 price tag on them. The way it is, the sale of fishing licenses is no more than a fund raising event.

Robert
rpecora

Post by rpecora »

"This system is the largest of its kind in the world," said Director McCamman. "This long-awaited, long-requested system will provide an unmatched level of service to our license-buying constituents."
It's about time, NYS has been doing it this way for years. I purchase my NYS hunting license, deer and other permits online as well. At least CA is catching up to the times.