Bioko Snake ID (Equatorial Guinea)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Curtis Hart

Bioko Snake ID (Equatorial Guinea)

Post by Curtis Hart »

This species was observed at sea level on the southern beaches of Bioko multiple times. They are typically green, this is one of two teal individuals that I saw. Any one know what species it is?

JBBoiler

Re: Bioko Snake ID (Equatorial Guinea)

Post by JBBoiler »

I can't help on the id, but wanted to comment on what a beautiful looking snake that is.

John B
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Hapsidophrys sp.

I thought of Philothamnus sp. at first, got curious, googled, discovered Hapsidophrys, distinguished from Philothamnus by the strongly keeled dorsal scales visible in your photo, and came across a biotic survey of Bioko - http://www.environment.ucla.edu/ctr/pdfs/CARPE1.PDF. In this survey only Hapsidophrys lineatus is registered. However, judging by the pics I found googling I think your specimen looks more like H. smaragdina, the only other realistic possibility. Of course, googling for snake pics as a means of identification is notoriously unreliable, so if I were you I would find a key to consult ;)

I also chanced upon a paper on the snakes of the two genera on islands further offshore in the Gulf of Guinea - http://www3.uma.pt/abrehm/v1.1/docs/dow ... al2009.pdf
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

Thanks for the quick help. That biological survey missed a lot. I saw several things that were not listed. I was on the island much longer than they were though.

Curtis