SW NC Salamanders for ID

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jack4rogers

SW NC Salamanders for ID

Post by jack4rogers »

Wow, Sals are hard! Would appreciate help on most things in this album. I have more shots of most if needed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90726323@ ... 5992939154
Thanks!
kevin h

Re: SW NC Salamanders for ID

Post by kevin h »

It would help to know the elevation of these guys as well as some closer tail shots. Also what part of SWNC, I understand you shouldn't give away specific sites but just a general area (e.g. National forest, National Park) would help.

-Kevin.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

I posted replies on your flickr photos. When photographing a salamander for ID, always try to get good shots of the dorsal pattern, tail shape, and belly pattern. I find these three characteristics to be the most useful for Desmognathus in the north GA/southwestern NC area (along with location).
jack4rogers

Post by jack4rogers »

Stohlgren wrote:I posted replies on your flickr photos. When photographing a salamander for ID, always try to get good shots of the dorsal pattern, tail shape, and belly pattern. I find these three characteristics to be the most useful for Desmognathus in the north GA/southwestern NC area (along with location).
Thanks for the comments, they are very appreciated. I'll keep those in mind for the future.