Questions About Breeding Diamond Pythons

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Berkeley Boone

Questions About Breeding Diamond Pythons

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Does anyone have any experience breeding Diamonds? I have an opportunity to acquire up to a pair of diamonds, in addition to the pair that I already have.

Ideally, I would get the new 1.1 pair, but our finances are fairly limited and most likely I will not be able to do that. So, my question is, should I get the extra male or the extra female?

I have found in my reading that male-to-male combat is a good thing with the Morelia complex, but I have also heard that it is not required, or even necessary, to have successful reproduction with the diamonds. Can anyone verify this? Or refute it?

Thoughts? Anecdotes? Experience?

--Berkeley
Joseph S.

Re: Questions About Breeding Diamond Pythons

Post by Joseph S. »

Wacky idea-but if male-male combat is needed you could always borrow a friends Morelia of sorts-get your diamond riled up...and then plop him in with the female.

I think the extra male would be nice insurance if one male is shooting blanks, however.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

That is a good thought, Joseph! I like your thinking. Hadn't even considered using the 'substitute' method.

Interesting point on the extra insurance against blanks too.

Thanks for the input. I'll be curious to see what others have to say as well.
--Berkeley
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

By the same token, a backup female is always handy if one female only produces slugs, small and poor babies, etc.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

True- good point, Jayd.

The potential acquisition of another pair that I mentioned in the original post fell through, but I have been entertaining the idea of picking up another female anyway so that I can give my original female a year in between breedings once I get them going.

After talking with some other diamond breeders, extra males are largely unnecessary (for combat/breeding stimulation) though as Joe mentioned it would be good to have for insurance against blanks-shooting.....

--Berkeley