Bipes rumor

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

yolodave

Bipes rumor

Post by yolodave »

A friend recent dropped off a 1940 book called "American Wild Life Illustrated." It had this entry for Bipes, which I find fascinating. It indicates the species can be found in Southeast Arizona. I think Stebbins mentioned this possibility in his field guides.

Does anybody know the basis for these rumors? Excuse me if you all have discussed this before.

Dave
El Garia

Re: Bipes rumor

Post by El Garia »

Cool topic, Dave. I can't speak to the basis of the rumors. I do remember hearing about Amphisbaenians in AZ, as a kid. Back when I was a youngin, my goal was always to find a new species or ssp., so I was really into cryptids. Overly optimistic and naive, i was. When Owen and I went to AZ in '82, Amphisbaenians were right up there on my to-find list. I actually thought that I had a fair chance at finding one. :lol: But again, I was young…
I do recall hearing that they could be found in the sandy loam at the base of trees, under leaf litter. Beyond that, the rest of what I heard was probably purged from my brain to make room for other, more important things, like the Joey Buttafucco saga.

Derek
chrish

Post by chrish »

I know this topic has been discussed here several times in detail by people with extensive knowledge of the area and the species. Try searching the forum for references to Bipes. I think you will find a lot of great information and opinions.
yolodave

Post by yolodave »

Derek, I'd do that 1982 trip tomorrow. Sounds awesome.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

i posted some historical literature (on a friend's herping site) detailing Bipes from Central Ca, back in the Gold Rush days... i'll see if i can find it again
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

hellihooks wrote:i posted some historical literature (on a friend's herping site) detailing Bipes from Central Ca, back in the Gold Rush days... i'll see if i can find it again
It wouldn't happen to be this one?

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... es#p239008

Highly entertaining read, as to the credibility of the sighting, well... :lol:
mfb

Post by mfb »

Thanks krismunk for posting that, I was just about to look up the reference! A good warning on just how dangerous Bipes are. Be careful! (j/k)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

yeah... that was it. I've been know to tell homeless people they should let me check under their mattresses, for legless lizards, lest they crawl up their butts. I know... So Wrong... :lol: :lol: :lol: