Enquiry about snake conservation volunteer.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jerry Lin

Enquiry about snake conservation volunteer.

Post by Jerry Lin »

Hello!
Excuse me, I just have a question.
Because of my passion on snakes, so I hope that I can get involve with conservation projects about snakes. Although I don't have the ability to be a staff I think I can be a volunteer.
After surfing the Internet, I think my favorites includes Khamai Reptile Park for South African snake conservation and Agumbe, India for King Cobra conservation, especially I love south african snakes, that is so fascinating.
Anyone have the experiences about that? or May I have information about that? or Do you have other projects?
I want to do after I graduate from my college, so I would like to realize it in advance.
Thanks.
Berkeley Boone

Re: Enquiry about snake conservation volunteer.

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Hi Jerry-
I have no experience doing conservation work outside of my home country, so I can't offer a whole lot of thoughts about those specific places or even those regions. However, I think your best bet would be to get in touch with those organizations and let them know of your interests. I would imagine they have email addresses that you could locate- send them an email and see if they have an opportunity for volunteer help. Just be sure to let them know that you are planning of after college (whenever that may be).

You never know what you'll find!

Best of luck,
--Berkeley
Jerry Lin

Post by Jerry Lin »

Berkeley Boone wrote:Hi Jerry-
I have no experience doing conservation work outside of my home country, so I can't offer a whole lot of thoughts about those specific places or even those regions. However, I think your best bet would be to get in touch with those organizations and let them know of your interests. I would imagine they have email addresses that you could locate- send them an email and see if they have an opportunity for volunteer help. Just be sure to let them know that you are planning of after college (whenever that may be).

You never know what you'll find!

Best of luck,
--Berkeley
Ok, thank you very much! :)
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

A good source of information for field positions-sometimes paid, sometimes volunteer, is the Texas A&M job board. While most of the positions are in the US, there are some that are based in other countries. Scanning the list might give some idea of the range of opportunities that are available. I hope that this is helpful and best of luck!

http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/job-board/

Tom
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Depending on what your degree is in, you may also look for intern positions at certain places. These may not pay you anything, and so you would be like a volunteer, but they may provide housing and/or food.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I got started in herpetology volunteering with a local biologist. Its a great way to contribute and build experience. I hope you find some great opportunities!

I'm not sure how much experience you have but volunteering in another country as a first experience might be somewhat ambitious. The volunteer supervisors put a lot of time, effort, and money into their volunteers. So your resume is important as these positions can be competitive.
Jerry Lin

Post by Jerry Lin »

Thanks all,
I will do my best to achieve my dream. :)