Field Technicians for CA Common Chuckwalla Behavioral Study

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hadar

Field Technicians for CA Common Chuckwalla Behavioral Study

Post by Hadar »

Hey California herpers,

I thought a couple of you might be interested in this spring/summer tech job. See below for details:

Agency: California State University, Fullerton
Job Category: Temporary/Seasonal Positions
Start Date: March 20th, 2016
Last Date to apply: February 20th, 2016

Description: Seeking 1 or 2 field technicians who will assist with a Master’s project comparing seasonal thermoregulatory activity and habitat use of male and female common chuckwallas (Sauromalus ater) in the Mojave Desert (near Palm Springs). Technicians will assist in catching the lizards, fitting them with temperature data loggers and radio trackers, tracking them using radio telemetry, conducting doubly labeled water studies of metabolism and water turnover, and conducting daily observations of lizard behaviors.

The tentative start date is March 20th 2016. Field season is expected to last at least through July 15th, 2016, and may extend to the end of July.

Work may include long hours on some days, and may be up to six days a week. Housing will be provided at the Boyd Deep Canyon Reserve (approximately 15 minutes drive from Palm Springs) and there will be a stipend of around $300-350 per week. Travel expenses to and from the Reserve not provided.

Qualifications
Technicians must:
• Have experience conducting biological field research.
• Have the ability to work long hours in a hot, rocky desert environment.
• Have a valid Drivers license
• Be flexible with hours and be available to work throughout the entire field season.
• Have an interest in lizard ecology.
• Live & work in close quarters with others.

Preference will be given to applicants with experience:
• Using radio-telemetry
• Handling lizards

To apply, please provide a cover letter, resume, and the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of 3 professional references to Emily Sanchez ([email protected]).
regalringneck

Re: Field Technicians for CA Common Chuckwalla Behavioral St

Post by regalringneck »

Hello Hadar & what a nice gesture to post this opportunity, hopefully the gal will get lots of applications, These are great resume builders for tomorrows wildlife managers, heck as a pre-geezer it sounds interesting, cept i'd b too close to my bro lateralis ... hoo is fast approaching same status :p

Its amazing to me after observing chucks closely for many years, 9i built a pretty cool enclosure in my backyard) that they can do as well as they do in those horridly hot dry colorado desert locales, in fact they appear much more numerous there than they are in the comparatively lush sonoran desert here, i hypothesize (i have data) that the phattys need longer visual clearances to avoid redtails & lynx, but apparently they are not forage limited., cuz many of us have wondered if they & the bighorn subsist on rocks!
I should prolly contact the lady & have a discussion.

Good on you for taking the time 2 post this ... lemme c if i can find some color ... heres 1 of my more recent rather minimal phatty habitat enhancement projects ... : }

Hadar

Post by Hadar »

regalringneck wrote:Hello Hadar & what a nice gesture to post this opportunity, hopefully the gal will get lots of applications, These are great resume builders for tomorrows wildlife managers, heck as a pre-geezer it sounds interesting, cept i'd b too close to my bro lateralis ... hoo is fast approaching same status :p
I know when I was looking for such positions they were hard to come by so I'm hoping this will help young herpers wanting to get professional experience as well as Emily.
regalringneck wrote:Its amazing to me after observing chucks closely for many years, 9i built a pretty cool enclosure in my backyard) that they can do as well as they do in those horridly hot dry colorado desert locales, in fact they appear much more numerous there than they are in the comparatively lush sonoran desert here, i hypothesize (i have data) that the phattys need longer visual clearances to avoid redtails & lynx, but apparently they are not forage limited., cuz many of us have wondered if they & the bighorn subsist on rocks!
I should prolly contact the lady & have a discussion.
I think it would be great if you contacted Emily. I don't know her personally but typically Master's students are open to learning as much as they can about their subject.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

.. ok due to your prompt i will, as prolly the biggest single mistake most graduate students make is not soliciting a variety of input prior to selecting their specific topic of inquiry, & relying soley on immediate peers & committee members ... & i did that too ... :p

Chucks in the wild & esp. in the west like their desert iggy cousins have an amazingly short activity period; basically mid 2 l8te mar. thru l8te may & then scattered activity, much of it quite early after rare summer rains, & anudda short burst in the fall, but somehow their E budget & water cycling is taken care of for a 7-8 month brumation estivation period + producing eggs !!! incredible beasts.

gosta go & again good on you ...
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

regalringneck wrote:.. ok due to your prompt i will, as prolly the biggest single mistake most graduate students make is not soliciting a variety of input prior to selecting their specific topic of inquiry, & relying soley on immediate peers & committee members ... & i did that too ... :p
It's always better to find out what you should've done early on rather than when you are finishing.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Heather: John Gunn (Regal Ringneck) has been working professionally as a wildlife biologist for more than one government agency for the past couple of decades. If Emily got his resume she would probably deem him over qualified for the position. As you well know, most grad students generally hire undergrads or those who recently got their Bachelors. John is either close to being able to collect Social Security (like me) or is all ready doing so. Nothing bad about this at all, but there is not too many 60+ undergrads out there. I personally do not apply for these types of positions because they prefer to hire newbies looking to gain field research experience; which John has acquired in spades. I do not understand why he chose to lead you to believe that he is a newly graduated journeyman.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

K&S, come on now, i sed i was a pre-geezer for iitois sake ... & am still well short of qualifying for SS, now just cuz im still buff, funny, n regularly mistaken in the gym for but a young forked horn buck ... you dont hafta blow my cover :p ... & i aint jonesin for a job, i just know the subject matter well enuff (tho not the current chuckwalla lit), that i might be useful (for once) in helping a grad. student winnow a series of research ?'s down to what might be doable or even helpful in the mngmt of these magnificent creatures... as usual around here, ... that reading/comprehension thing ... hhmmm ... btw i like you & your parrot avatar; pssitiformes rocc even if they need more attention than chilluns : ]

edit; avatar as contrasted w/ that previous 1 that repeatedly jumped out @ me & scared me ...
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

John: I think your opinions would be taken more seriously if you chose to eventually respond in standard English spelling and grammar. As the 'older bunch' I think we should lead by example. Younger generations nowadays are all ready hard pressed to express themselves with standard spellling and punctuation because of the popularity of texting as a form of communication. You have all ready received comments from responders here who are annoyed by it and at times find it difficult to comprehend. If you would like people to be able to easily comprehend you then it would be in your best interest to communicate in an intelligible format. Really not interested in whether you go to the gym or not or appear 20 years younger. That is not the gist of the conversation here. Unless you just wish to impress a young lady in her 20's...
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Klawnscale- I dont get it? Why do you need a degree or to be student to show up on time every day and catch chucks? You only need one or two biologists or grad-students to do the research. Catching large numbers of chucks is just "work"..

Hadar- Sounds like my dream job.. I have always wanted to visit Deep Canyon. But the 300 a week wont pay my mortgage.. lol!

Hopefully you'll find some good people..

-Dan
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Ofcourse you don't need a degree to catch chucks, however, the descriptor for this position most likely prefers to have a bio student or recent grad to pay it forward:
1) She prefers someone with telemetry experience. You can get some basic field research skills in college during field courses from an instructor such as putting on sensors and learning basic telemetry; understanding why and how these tools work to relocate captures that will be subjects of the study.
2) It is not necessarily just about catching chuckwalllas and throwing them in a pillowcase. It also is important to have a basic background on the scientific process so you can be helpful to him/her. Part of the process of her work is gathering and sorting data from labelled recaptures that would be germane to her research.
3) Grad students struggle tooth and nail to get funding for their research. She is lucky to get some funding to hire 1 or 2 assists and provide them housing. This is almost a luxury when working on a Master's project. $300/week is about the average salary for a field tech. These positions are not constructed to meet the financial needs of people like us who are at an advanced state in their lives who are paying mortgages, their accrued debts, and providing for their families. They are structurally geared towards the student; where mom and pop are still most likely supporting the individual.
4) And unless you ARE a student who happens to be middle age plus it is likely she would feel less comfortable working with 'dad' or 'grandpa' and telling him what to do. Yes; there is a degree of ageism in these projects; (which is illegal but not overtly expressed) and therefore she would probably feel more comfortable communicating and working with individuals closer to her age range.
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

I see..

Its just I seem to be seeing a lot of elite-est talk on these threads referring to the idea that academics are better than us lamen folk.,. and its more in reference to your colleague, Regal-Sh*t-head.. I just see a pattern developing in this state.. Dont go here, don't touch that, ..access to places like deep Canyon, only for students and academics..

I just feel the general herping public can do a lot more for the furtherance of science and conservation, than is currently allowed...
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Speckled Rosy wrote:I see..

Its just I seem to be seeing a lot of elite-est talk on these threads referring to the idea that academics are better than us lamen folk.,. and its more in reference to your colleague, Regal-Sh*t-head.. I just see a pattern developing in this state.. Dont go here, don't touch that, ..access to places like deep Canyon, only for students and academics..

I just feel the general herping public can do a lot more for the furtherance of science and conservation, than is currently allowed...
You can always email her and offer to volunteer to help her with her project when the time suits you. I have never known a grad student refuse the help of volunteers out in the field; regardless whether they be laymen or academics. Help in finding animals is always appreciated. Countless explorers and scientists have utilized the volunteer efforts of local people to find animals or whatever is the subject of their study. This is because the local person probably has more knowledge regarding location and capture than the researcher not familiar with the region.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

klawnskale wrote:John: I think your opinions would be taken more seriously if you chose to eventually respond in standard English spelling and grammar. As the 'older bunch' I think we should lead by example. Younger generations nowadays are all ready hard pressed to express themselves with standard spellling and punctuation because of the popularity of texting as a form of communication. You have all ready received comments from responders here who are annoyed by it and at times find it difficult to comprehend. If you would like people to be able to easily comprehend you then it would be in your best interest to communicate in an intelligible format. Really not interested in whether you go to the gym or not or appear 20 years younger. That is not the gist of the conversation here. Unless you just wish to impress a young lady in her 20's...
Whoo HOOOO TROLL FIGHT!!! Scott should have advertized this... :lol: :lol: :lol:
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... KS, thnx for the life coaching babe, but im good ( really good ) just the way i am & to the slowworm... (apologies to Anguis) pull ewer hed outta that bag of glue & get a clue ... nobuddy gives a damn bout ewe ... heehee ... oxo

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Okay…notice it is NOT the girls being rude and insolent in this thread. You boys need to behave yourselves with your nasty name calling (Regal Ringneck and Hellihooks!)
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

klawnskale wrote:John: I think your opinions would be taken more seriously if you chose to eventually respond in standard English spelling and grammar. As the 'older bunch' I think we should lead by example. Younger generations nowadays are all ready hard pressed to express themselves with standard spellling and punctuation because of the popularity of texting as a form of communication. You have all ready received comments from responders here who are annoyed by it and at times find it difficult to comprehend. If you would like people to be able to easily comprehend you then it would be in your best interest to communicate in an intelligible format. Really not interested in whether you go to the gym or not or appear 20 years younger. That is not the gist of the conversation here. Unless you just wish to impress a young lady in her 20's...
:thumb:
As a member of this older/elder bunch I completely agree with you on this one Hannah.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

That is not the gist of the conversation here. Unless you just wish to impress a young lady in her 20's...[/quote]

... dang KS, look @ her avatar ... ya cant blame a lad 4 trying ... :p

...edit x2 ; we males may grode oder ... but we never said we we're gonna grode up !
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Just to clarify, I know this position doesn't pay much and that is typical of technician positions working for a graduate student since graduate students themselves don't make much. I was looking a PhD program that only offers $9,000 a year with no housing. The reason why I posted this in the California chapter forum was because I thought some of you might already be close to the location and would be interested in the excuse to go herping and getting paid for your time. It is not a full time job but sounded like fun to me. There is no age limit but, as pointed out, it is usually easier for people without a family, mortgage, etc to be able to take such a position. For those of you who aren't interested in the position but have potentially valuable information to provide the graduate student, I would think the graduate student would appreciate that help. Usually in the beginning of a program the student is trying to absorb everything and anything they can about their subject. There shouldn't be such a large divide between field herpers and academics. I would love to see us working together more for the good of the herps.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Heather: I applaud your professional decorum you have expressed in this thread. In spite of the fact that some of Mr. Gunn's comments were disrespectful and objectifying. Indeed Mr. Gunn; you as a supposedly 'mature' person of science should be more mindful on how you portray yourself as a professional. Some of your remarks are unnecessary; akin more to a lecherous college professor.
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Boyd Deep Canyon RC is a great place to do fieldwork and I'm sure Mark and Al will appreciate the company. They have a pool which will see a lot of use by interns working in the valley during the hot season. John I am not that old yet but it sure feels like it on Mondays :lol:

KS did helli shoot u a pic of his SCP ;)
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

HADAR, Thank you for posting this for us, and please ignore the rudeness of some people.

Brian Hinds
California Chapter President
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Unbelievable. Someone posts a plain job opening, and this is where we are a few days later - again. Same trolls, same personal attacks, same insanity.

I had stopped reading the forum for the last six months thinking that, maybe, it might improve with time. But it has gotten worse, much worse.

I'll check in again in another six months or so.

Robert
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Look in the mirror Robert Hesse. I can remember not too long ago some pretty outlandish and outrageous opinions you and a buddy of yours contributed on a topic of the Horned Lizard Festival. What makes you better than anyone else here? You can do a pretty good job of needlessly stirring the pot as well.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Everyone Needs to stop the personal attacks, "Everyone"!!!!

This has gotten out of control. We all get caught up in things (including myself), but lets ALL try to do better. If I can do it, I know everyone else here can do it!

Thank You
Brian Hinds
California Chapter President
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Yet another post getting spell checked "sigh". What is it with this place? A friendly banter gets twisted into a mess yet again, it's gotten old and reaffirms to me why I stopped investing time here after the 2010 crash.

Some of you really need to engage your brain before you type; and stop inserting yourselves into a post based off of who responds. Do it because you have something positive to contribute or don't do it at all.

These types of opportunities should not be marred by this bs.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

the majotity of the flameouts involve non-nafha members, who can go anywhere and say anyrhing they please... to the point of proclaiming themselves 'watchdogs' for the nafha.... all part of Scott's 'one big happy family' vision. I hate (some of) my family... :lol: :lol: :lol: