Female herpetologists or herp enthusiasts

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Re: Female herpetologists or herp enthusiasts

Post by Kelly Mc »

On second thought - to each their own. We live in an imperfect world but there are many things in it more powerful than pain.

Childbirth is one, though Ive not experienced it personally.

It was mostly fun though, being a Tomboy as a kid, and its even funner being a Lesbian.

Speaking of that, I sometimes wonder how many gay people are on the forum. I cant be the only one.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Last week I was cutting foot long pieces of iron rebar with a portable bandsaw. As I worked, I thought of how I could utilize this power tool for many wonderful projects and ideas….a scene from the film "Fargo" kept re-appearing in my mind; but that was a woodchipper...
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... confidential 2 KS, much as i wish you werent quite so quick to cyber-snap .... i know from your avatar w/ those beautiful birds ... you actually are one of our kind ... & thus the protector in me implores you to use a shrouded cuttoff saw w/ a fresh non wetted (or even high humidity exposed) carbide blade ...or safer yet the ole trusty willard rebar cutter & bender ... any one still using them ?
I would be remiss to not point out a bandsaw is way too likely to twist & break ... which might result in a horrible...if trendy scar on your person ... I'll only use a bandsaw on bone or wood. & always use eye protection ... other than that, i fd your post pointless & bereft of humour, but will grant you, despite seeing the movie (& walking out ) ... i likely missed the joke.
I hope this thread can migrate back towards a gr8t idea, you ladies getting acquainted & njoying our great outdoors like so many of us xy's seem to do ... peace out ...
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Ok If you're out there - You know who you are! If your my age you'll recognize it, and if you're young, You need to know it!

This is For You ..

https://youtu.be/Sa6bI_95G9I
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

definitely a tip of my hat to that ... dude was light years b4 his time ... RIP ...

so to nytes walk yielded nada but a cacaphony of yotes howling ... and a few owls softy hooting ... no complaints ... your url precipitated this heavy ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb61AVsxD34 amazing how music & other art forms can embody so much txt ... i think thats perhaps what iitoi & bowie have been trying to teach us .... thru the clutter, the digital noise, cliches, & mirages ... if we just are brave enough to look through them & listen ...

MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Kelly Mc wrote:All that soft pedaling about humor, lemme see.. sniff sniff. Nope. That meme was applied in poor spirit.

If it wasn't, you pecked around and picked the wrong one for your "purpose".

Real men don't use memes. Heavens to Hillary how un PC is THAT!

I do what I want - Its the Tomboy Way :lol:
Whoa! How did I miss this gem? Personal attacks? Whoa!

Hey Kelly,
Kelly Mc wrote: Real men don't use memes.

Have a nice day :lol:

For the record, RegalRingneck nailed it, let's get back on track to what was an informative thread for ladies looking for other ladies to herp with. Enough silliness.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

You didn't miss it.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

"The Ladies" don't need help in planning a herping trip, their choice in tools (Hanna probably had to use what was available on site, and obviously without mishap)

No assistance is needed, so the stewardship isn't necessary.

Tangents form in threads, and out of all the posts and threads through all the years and all the tangents about folks and their lives in a heteronormative world of assumption, I realize a brief foray into acknowledging that there are gay people in the herping world could be uncomfortable.

And MCHerper, I understand now, that Memes are very important to you, as are the little spittles of acronyms, after say, a layered jibe, so... "jk". There. I should have helped you with that.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... try2 forgive me for invoking one of the great masters : Friedrich Nietzsche

One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

He (edit; or she) who has a why to live can bear almost any how.

There are no facts, only interpretations.

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him (edit; or her) to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

You're a rugged OG, Regal, I know you took my remark in a good spirit.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... i was tripping so far away, i guess i didnt realize it was pointed at me! i've gotta go swat some racquetballs ... like ole buggsbunny used to say; ♫ on with the show this is it ♫
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

It wasn't more than perhaps a gentle reminder, I have been frequently fond of FHF members whom are at odds with one another, and can like people who have very different - even completely different, ideas about some things than my own, but still like them and enjoy mutual facets.

Just a note though, not just to MCHerper, but really anyone.

Any sentence, about Any Thing, that has the word Meme in it, is not to be taken into serious consideration.

Real men don't use memes . Seriously, read that. Its like being attacked with a handless muppet.
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

Kelly Mc wrote:Tangents form in threads, and out of all the posts and threads through all the years and all the tangents about folks and their lives in a heteronormative world of assumption, I realize a brief foray into acknowledging that there are gay people in the herping world could be uncomfortable.
Honestly, I just don't think it matters much to most people these days, particularly the kind of people devoted to the type of endeavors espoused on this type of forum. The lack of response, I think, was largely driven by three factors; A. most people don't care that much, B. a fair number of the people who fall toward that side of the spectrum are inclined to be intensely private, and probably most importantly, C. not that many people read the thread all the way through to your post.

The gene runs strong in my family and one of my closer relatives has always been intensely guarded about his private life. I'm much the same way, though probably for different reasons. Of course, some others are glaringly open about their respective situations, gay, straight, or somewhere in between. I'd tend to think that, among those this deeply into natural, zoological, and biological pursuits, that conservative expression would probably be more common. It's just a guess, but a moderately educated one, I think.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I would have to agree with much of what you said, with the demographic realities of this forum, noted as significant.

But on a social spectrum most of the gay people I know have an equal or even much larger percentage of non gay friends in what they would call their 'inner circle' my partner and I included, and we live in SF.

Its more about assumptions, and unless you are gay, there are invisible paradigms that when they are punctured conversationally, even in context, a detectable derailment occurs, mostly for the straight people, who sometimes feel awkward.
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Kelly Mc wrote:Any sentence, about Any Thing, that has the word Meme in it, is not to be taken into serious consideration.

Real men don't use memes . Seriously, read that. Its like being attacked with a handless muppet.
As was my retort which included...a meme! ;)
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

you said "Personal attacks? Whoa!" But I don't think you "missed it" I just think I bug ya, so if you want we could discuss it, per PM, unless you need an audience.

You can send me memes there, but it would be less fun for you. I can go either way.

Im the same person everywhere, but soften up easy with candor.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

The truth is in real life its easy to like someone.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Regalringneck,
What the heck are you doing even being in this thread? It's clearly for women, by women, and all about women. Unless you are a woman, why would you intrude so? And for the love of God, please learn to write legibly. Your gibberish is really annoying to literate people.
I don't see your input as being contributory. Please quit trolling on us.
edited to add: As much as you seem to think so, we really don't need male supervision to plan an outing. Plenty of us have all-chick outings frequently. We're good, really.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

My apology Tamara, Heather, Hanna and any other women for my part in getting the thread off the track.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

...confidential to tamara (chimera) ... sew ayem bet'n this is the one that tripped your breakers ... "I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time" ... too bad ... i wish i could claim it instead of merely embrace it ... & like you ...ill post where & what i want ... & i really do try & dumb it down for so many of ewe (hee hee get that one?) ... so i wouldnt raise my ego so much by still clammering "i just dont get it" ... some things hon, take a bit of effort & brain sugar ... but if you try it ... you just might find ... the doors of perception begin to open ... & the view can then be both exhilerating & sometimes scary ... now chill & b still ... oxo ...
chrish

Post by chrish »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:Regalringneck,
And for the love of God, please learn to write legibly. Your gibberish is really annoying to literate people.
Pardon my Y chromosome intruding again here, but this made me laugh out loud.
I think he thinks it is cute or creative even though the rest of us think it is reflective of something other than creativity. I guess if you want to make illiteracy your calling card, good for you. I always imagine reading it as it is written - like you are listening to some barely conscious drunk mumbling out some alcohol slurred incoherent "wisdom".

The good thing is you can usually skip right over his contributions to any thread without missing anything informative.

I'm sure he will reply. I'm sure it will be barely legible and make no sense to the literate among us, but you can just skip over it. I will.

Sorry for the intrusion into a great idea (i.e. all female herp trip). Hope you gals make it happen, hope it's a blast, and I hope you show all the misogynistic herpers among us how its done!
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

My apology Tamara, Heather, Hanna and any other women for my part in getting the thread off the track.
You didn't do anything wrong. No worries.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

One of the best posts ever. I hope you all have a great time and look forward to the pics. For the first time ever, I wish I was female.

Tim
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

To refocus this thread I want to take a quick poll of the female herpers on the forum to ask a couple questions.

1. Would you be interested in attending a herp focused gathering to meet some of the other females in person rather than online presence only?
2. If you are interested in doing so, would you be more likely to attend if this event occurred in the U.S. (Southwest, Midwest, or Southeast), Canada (location TBA), or Latin America (Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica)?
3. If you are interested in doing so, when is your preferred time of year and how much time in advance would you need to plan?

I don't want the males to feel left out so please remember there are many upcoming trips nationally (this April http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... t=national) and by chapter. In future events I would like to encourage male herpers who are supporters of females in the field to join us but for this first meeting it would be nice to just get to know each other better.

Cheers, Heather
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

This is probably the first time I wish I was in the US! A females only herp trip is a great idea, one I might have to copy for over here in Australia.

A bit sad this thread got off track, would be great to get it going again :)
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Jazz wrote:This is probably the first time I wish I was in the US! A females only herp trip is a great idea, one I might have to copy for over here in Australia.

A bit sad this thread got off track, would be great to get it going again :)
Jasmine,

Thank you for helping get this thread back on track. I think it is a great idea to put something together for the women herpers in Oz. Please let us know if you do. Do you ever travel outside of Oz to go herping? Also, if you see a Myobatrachus gouldii would you make a post with as many photographs as possible? I would love to see one of those!

Cheers, Heather
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hey Heather,

I go herping around South East Asia quite a lot, probably more then I do Australia. I am writing/have written articles for herp nation and other publications about my trips. I'm currently planning a big South America trip for next year which I am very excited about and we're spending 3 months in Borneo at the end of this year as well.

God I would love to find a turtle frog, one of my dream species! Are you mostly in to your frogs?
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Jazz wrote:I go herping around South East Asia quite a lot, probably more then I do Australia. I am writing/have written articles for herp nation and other publications about my trips. I'm currently planning a big South America trip for next year which I am very excited about and we're spending 3 months in Borneo at the end of this year as well.
Even better! Maybe we can get some women interested in a herping trip in Asia. Where in South America are you planning on going?
Jazz wrote:God I would love to find a turtle frog, one of my dream species! Are you mostly in to your frogs?
I love all herps but salamanders are my favorites because I find them incredibly fascinating. Frogs are tied with turtles for second.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

well I guess that would leave this blue collar dyke out :lol:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

South East Asia would be stupidly cheap once you get over there. As I said, I'll be there for 3 months at the end of the year so I would be happy to take some other female herpers out :)

Salamanders are something we don't have over here. I found a california newt a couple of years ago and that was the highlight of my whole US trip! I would love to find more species.

Whys that Kelly?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I don't want to derail the thread. But I should have done with my life what you young women are doing.

I didn't get a college education because of not connecting well in the school system as a kid, then later making choices that I deeply regret at a very strategic time. For a long time it didn't bother me because I worked with animals my whole life and that was all I cared about. But the fact that I never achieved my dreams, that I am not a zoologist in the field nor a veterinary surgeon has gradually become a deep pain that I cant really describe.

I would like to go to Borneo though if I could someday.
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Kelly, I think we should still have a trip in the U.S. too.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Hadar wrote:I love all herps but salamanders are my favorites because I find them incredibly fascinating. Frogs are tied with turtles for second.
You should consider a trip to the southern Appalachians - the Mecca for salamander enthusiasts, and one of my favorite parts of the country. Depending on the areas you cover, you could reasonably expect to find 20-30 species of salamanders, with many more possible. Let me know if you lean that direction. I've led several trips down there, and I could give you some good info on spots to herp, camp, etc.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Any guy stupid enough to intrude upon this advertisesd 'woman's' thread, has got to be off his frigging rock..... oh wait.... uhhhhh... never mind. :lol:
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

cbernz wrote:
Hadar wrote:I love all herps but salamanders are my favorites because I find them incredibly fascinating. Frogs are tied with turtles for second.
You should consider a trip to the southern Appalachians - the Mecca for salamander enthusiasts, and one of my favorite parts of the country. Depending on the areas you cover, you could reasonably expect to find 20-30 species of salamanders, with many more possible. Let me know if you lean that direction. I've led several trips down there, and I could give you some good info on spots to herp, camp, etc.
Thanks Cliff! Great idea.
BailyThefox

Post by BailyThefox »

I'm a female and I'm from the dreary, boring place that is New York. I've always chased after critters for as long as I can remember much to the chagrin of my parents. Nowadays I keep several reptiles myself as "pets" and am more excited about tidal pools and leaping lizards then a plain old sandy beach. Although the latter has always been the case really :lol:
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

cbernz wrote:
If you ladies decide you want to do a salamandering expedition, my brother has a home in North Georgia right near the Appalachian foothills. The area where he lives has a plot where guests can do RV and tent camping. He told me if I ever would like to bring herping colleagues to visit that we could utilize this free camping area as his guests. He is not far from the Tennesee border. :beer:
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Could I interest those who are leading this movement in a conference call some time? I'd like to discuss some things with you. Please respond via email [email protected]

BIG things are happening here, and on Herp Nation, lets talk about blowing the rook off things. :)

scott
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

If you Ladies like, I have secured permission for your outing to be held at Deep Creek, (headwaters of the Mojave River, Ca) with your host being Andy... who has hosted Nafha outings at his place before. This year (season's prime now) next year... whenever.

Depending on when you come... Arroyo Toads... Collards galore... I could go on and on... but... lets just say there's near 90 different herps within an hours drive

Other than to introduce you to your host... I won't be around to guide, but will turn guiding duties over to local women herpers (some with Nafha husbands) who can take you to see bout anything you want to see (season/weather permitting)

We should be able to accommodate 12-15 people, no prob, with showers, laundry, full kitchen/BbQ etc... ask any nafha members who have stayed there... home away from home... :)

pm me if interested, and good luck with your endeavors... :thumb: As per Nafha rules... data/photo collection only. ;)
ErinChapman

Post by ErinChapman »

I'm a female herper from VA. I originally discovered my passion by being outside to avoid homework after school and chasing the fence lizards in my backyard. From there I sought out books about the subject in my elementary school library. I am only now (in my 20s) beginning to tap into the herpetological community in VA and on this forum. I was unaware of such social networks and events until high school, but I am slowly humbling myself by learning from more experienced herpers and discovering more places to go by communicating with fellow herpers on facebook groups and this forum.

I would be very interested in an Appalachian trip. I have herped for salamanders in Shenandoah National Park, but I think the Smoky Mountains would be more fruitful. If anyone has more information on this trip, I'd love to be kept in the loop.
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

ErinChapman wrote:I'm a female herper from VA. I originally discovered my passion by being outside to avoid homework after school and chasing the fence lizards in my backyard. From there I sought out books about the subject in my elementary school library. I am only now (in my 20s) beginning to tap into the herpetological community in VA and on this forum. I was unaware of such social networks and events until high school, but I am slowly humbling myself by learning from more experienced herpers and discovering more places to go by communicating with fellow herpers on facebook groups and this forum.

I would be very interested in an Appalachian trip. I have herped for salamanders in Shenandoah National Park, but I think the Smoky Mountains would be more fruitful. If anyone has more information on this trip, I'd love to be kept in the loop.
Hi Erin,

An Appalachian trip would be great for salamanders. A couple of my friends have herped around the Smokies so I can ask them for suggestions. I'll be in Shenandoah this summer. PM me some times you are available this summer and we can set up a trip. Once we have some details figured out we can open it up to everyone.

Cheers, Heather