Mangrove Snakes in CA?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bostonsauce

Mangrove Snakes in CA?

Post by Bostonsauce »

My friend has a couple of Boiga dendrophila in Massachusetts where virtually everything requires a permit except the mangroves. I think I heard that mangrove snakes were legal in California without a permit at one time. Is that still the case here? It doesn't seem to be addressed specifically on the DFG site and a search didn't reveal anything recent on this. Anybody know?
hellihooks

Re: Mangrove Snakes in CA?

Post by hellihooks »

probably considered an exotic venomous, and prohibited
Bostonsauce

Post by Bostonsauce »

I just called LLL reptile and they're saying they're good to go. Anyone else with insight?
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

I am hoping someone can find a link but I will not be the one that looks for it and all of this comes from memory.

California's venomous regs ban by family and not simply venemous as a whole. Ownership of colubrids is permitted with the exception of boomslangs and twigsnakes.

Thus, I don't imagine there would be any problem and Boiga are represented at the reptile expos out here.

Ok, I failed and looked it up. Scroll down until you hit reptiles.

https://www.animallaw.info/administrati ... ssion-live
Bostonsauce

Post by Bostonsauce »

Thorny wrote:I am hoping someone can find a link but I will not be the one that looks for it and all of this comes from memory.

California's venomous regs ban by family and not simply venemous as a whole. Ownership of colubrids is permitted with the exception of boomslangs and twigsnakes.

Thus, I don't imagine there would be any problem and Boiga are represented at the reptile expos out here.
Ok thanks. I did see the family on the DFG site but I wasn't sure if the few you notes were exclusive.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I have seen many Bioga sold at herp shows, with LLL Reptile having quite a few mangroves.