One Day in Seattle

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

One Day in Seattle

Post by LouB747 »

Hi guys,

Looks like I'll have a Seattle trip in early to mid October. I'll only be there for the day, but will rent a car and have a look. Typically, will there be anything to find? Even a garter would be cool. Especially a blue Puget Sound Garter! I don't see garters where I live in Southern California. Anyways, any tips would be appreciated. I'm not really familiar with the habitat in the area and don't really know garter behavior. I'm assuming they bask out by areas of standing water.

I will probably video the experience, but won't show any locations. For those unfamiliar with me, you can check out my youtube channel and see what I'm about. I try and get the best video without disturbing the animals.

Lou

LouB747

Re: One Day in Seattle

Post by LouB747 »

Well, despite being 46 degrees and cloudy when I landed, I managed to see a lot of snakes. Lifer Puget Sound Garter!

LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Is this a Wandering Garter?

Dman

Post by Dman »

Lou,

Glad you had a successful adventure in the great northwest. I know very little when it comes to garter ID's. But I don't think that is a wandering. Maybe someone with garter knowledge will chime in.

Please keep posting your videos on FB. I really enjoy watching them.

Damon
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks Damon for taking the time to write. Yeah, I was told it was a Northwestern Garter on FB. More videos soon I hope.
johnwe3

Post by johnwe3 »

I might be crazy but I'm counting 8 upper labial scales.... Wandering.
Porter

Post by Porter »

I was wandering the same thing.... :P
technoendo

Post by technoendo »

Its Lou! Man I wish I had just looked at the forum and seen you coming to town. I had nothing to do and would have love to have herped for garters with ya. I still need more garter snake footage for a video I'm working on for 2017.

If folks aren't familiar with LouB747's videos -- give him a look on youtube. Lou goes to some interesting places.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

The second garter is a Northwestern (blunt head, big eye, and one of the dozens of usual color morphs, also 17 scale rows).

Jeff