Question about snakes and a snake workshop in Manila

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jonathan

Question about snakes and a snake workshop in Manila

Post by jonathan »

I happen to be passing through Manila briefly soon, and a friend has asked me if I could give a little workshop/presentation on snakes in a local community. Apparently, the community is made up of many people who were relocated to this forest/farming area from the city, and they’re not particularly familiar with or know how to be compatible with their snakes. Part of the purpose of the workshop is simply to help the residents get more familiar with snakes, their place in nature, and how to be safe while not having to be afraid of them. Another part is trying to help them deal with a snake-human conflict - they have retics in the area that keep eating their chickens, so they kill the retics.

I have two questions.

1. Does anyone have a good list of Manila snake species? They're a couple hours outside the city in a fairly natural farming area with forest. So far I know for sure that they have retics and rat snakes.

2. Anyone have any suggestions for the workshop? I have a couple things I'd like to cover, but looking for any and all advice.
klawnskale

Re: Question about snakes and a snake workshop in Manila

Post by klawnskale »

Jonathan: There is a page on iNaturalist.org that is devoted to species observations of herps in the Philippines. Maybe one of these participants might be local and they could help you out. Check out the page:
http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/rep ... hilippines
I just checked out some of the observers, and it looks like most of them are participants here as well. You should tap Fieldnote's and TonyG's brains.
DanW

Post by DanW »

You should contact Rafe Brown at KU, he has done extensive work in the Philippines. https://biodiversity.ku.edu/herpetology

Dan
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Thank you both!

I've emailed Rafe - hopefully he can get back to me quickly.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

DanW wrote:You should contact Rafe Brown at KU, he has done extensive work in the Philippines. https://biodiversity.ku.edu/herpetology

Dan

Thanks a ton Dan. Rafe was in the field, but Luke Welton of KU provided the exact help that I needed.
DanW

Post by DanW »

Glad I could help, good luck with the presentation. Thanks for spending the time to educate the local community.