Herping NE Oklahoma in late July?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

bgorum

Herping NE Oklahoma in late July?

Post by bgorum »

A couple years ago I went to visit relatives in NE Oklahoma and received some good tips from people here on the forum. That trip was in early June. I have the opportunity to go again this year, but not until the end of July. Would herping at that time of year be at all productive up there? Keep in mind late July is monsoon season here in the southwest and is arguably the best time to herp where I live. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth trading a week of monsoon herping back home for a week of herping in NE Oklahoma. Also any tips on techniques or areas for that time of year would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
stlouisdude

Re: Herping NE Oklahoma in late July?

Post by stlouisdude »

I've not been there but I think it will be very hot. In MO, that time is still fine for finding pit vipers in crevices but terrible for colubrids. Hope that helps, I can only assume OK will be somewhat similiar.
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

July can be tough around here. When you have days on end with highs over 100 degrees, activity tends to be slow. Not saying you wont find anything,and if that's the one time you can come, so be it, but early may to mid June and late August to mid October are the best times here
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

After that, the question is, what r you looking for?
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

blacktara wrote:After that, the question is, what r you looking for?
Crotes are always high on my list, but really anything. I'd love to see a timber rattlesnake and I never tire of osage copperheads. How is road cruising at that time of year?
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

Road cruising can be pretty slow that time of year. Still, timbers and copperheads are common enough so that if you are willing to keep at it, you will eventually find a few. But it is apt to be cruising all night for a couple of snakes as opposed to cruising for a few hours for a dozen snakes.