help sought finding an old thread re unethical photogs

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tamara D. McConnell

help sought finding an old thread re unethical photogs

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Hello, Family.
I recall an eye-opening post from a couple of years ago concerning the dastardly things people do to animals to get those cutesy fake nature photos that unfortunately tend to go viral. I would like to share the article with a couple of my friends who need educating. I am not very tech-proficient. Can anyone post the link to the thread, or perhaps point me in the right direction? I have searched various terms, and come up empty.
Thank you in advance for any assistance.
WSTREPS

Re: help sought finding an old thread re unethical photogs

Post by WSTREPS »

Truths behind fake nature photography
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... erp+photos

Animal planet crap, National Geographic, Nature documentaries, whatever. Its almost all staged. This photo is real nature. My cat confronting a flying squirrel in my office and couple of faked python photos.

Ernie Eison
Picture1951-1-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Thank you for the link. Also, your cat is very cute.
Whoa, I did not know the python photos were staged. I guess I am pretty naive.
They were staged, for real?
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

They were staged, for real?
The one is staged for sure. The other the famous "exploding" python next to the helicopter photo. Here's what I can definitely say about that. That is the most publicized snake photo of all time. It was delivered to the press by the USGS and received unprecedented national (world wide) coverage.This at a very opportune time for USGS invasive biologist to create the career boosting stir they desperately wanted. When the photo came out it was widely panned as a fake. For one thing the snake has no head. Mike Roachford posted a statement that he was in the helicopter and there in person when the snake was found and the picture taken. I caught him in a lie. Mike Roachford then revised his story by saying that he wasn't there but a grad student who was there told him the whole story.

Ernie Eison
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

A request was made involving a thread about unethical photos. I supplied the requested link along with what might have been the most unethical reptile photo ever taken . A subsequent question was posed to me about that photo. I answered that question. Never in history has a reptile issue gotten the worldwide attention that the pythons in Florida have received. Its a chart topper. If anyone is not interested in this or any other topical post, this is an internet discussion forum not somebody screaming in your living room. You can simply pass over the post you don't enjoy reading and read what interest you.

Ernie Eison
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

I'm acquainted with Mike and found him to be a decent fellow but I suspect many would want to be involved in such a story who knows and I certainly won't pass judgement cause I was not there. More interesting to me is how you think that photo was staged, no bashing intended just curious to hear the back story. My personal opine is that some airboat jockey came across the snake, decapitated it and the bloated body eventually went boom. I doubt eating that gator caused the mother of all digestive problems.
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

My personal opine is that some airboat jockey came across the snake, decapitated it and the bloated body eventually went boom. I doubt eating that gator caused the mother of all digestive problems.
That's possible. As famous and controversial as this photo is. You would think that someone who was actually there would have come forward with the details. The internet is filled with fake python pictures that look very realistic. The dubious timing of this photo, the fact that it was sent to the press by researcher's who had everything to gain from the publicity, and that only a single shot exist. None of that adds up. If a researcher had come across this sight as Roachford claimed after being caught in a lie. Why would they take only one picture and not a detailed series ? That doesn't make sense. If nothing else they certainly took the pic. from a strategic angle to try and hide the fact that the snake has no head. The kicker is Mike Roachfords attempt to validate the photo by lying. Its not the only time Mike Roachford has been misleading about his work. Mike Roachfords is a very pleasant fellow but he's also trying to make a career like all invasive species biologist out of convincing people to give him money to solve issues that cannot be solved or even proven that they exist at all. That will make a normally honest person do some dishonest things. Especially if they can justify it in their own minds.

Ernie Eison
reptologist

Post by reptologist »

I always thought that picture was staged. I have no proof but it seems so staged. Even if the snake did eat the gator and burst, why would half the gator be sticking out? Wouldn't there be just a tear in the snake with the gator still inside the snake? I think the snake did eat the gator but was then be-headed and left to rot. Some one happened upon it and opened it up for a more dramatic picture and story. Again, all just my opinion.