NAHERP AND OCD

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MarcLinsalata

NAHERP AND OCD

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Finishing work around 3am tonight then heading to Florida for some Everglades herping and possibly committing suicide by mosquito bites. My OCD, however, has kept me up sleepless nights staring at all of the unvouchered counties in the great state of Texas. Thus, in the next week my goal is to close out the state of Texas, and if unsuccessful, close it out on the way back from Florida. If nothing else, I'm sure it will be a lot of DORs. I just want Texas to be fully green on that map :thumb:
Calfirecap

Re: NAHERP AND OCD

Post by Calfirecap »

Marc, I completely understand. I went through the same thing with Oregon and I've been chipping away at ID for a few years, lately I've been eye-balling WY. Yeah, I guess it's a little obsessive.
Texas still has a lot of open counties and they are spread out over a great distance so you have your work cut out for you. Paint it green man!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

MarcLinsalata wrote:Finishing work around 3am tonight then heading to Florida for some Everglades herping and possibly committing suicide by mosquito bites. My OCD, however, has kept me up sleepless nights staring at all of the unvouchered counties in the great state of Texas. Thus, in the next week my goal is to close out the state of Texas, and if unsuccessful, close it out on the way back from Florida. If nothing else, I'm sure it will be a lot of DORs. I just want Texas to be fully green on that map :thumb:
this is GREAT... :beer: are you seriously (as in diagnosed) as OCD??? and if so... kudos on making it a positive aspect in your life... :thumb:

If just a joke... well, then... I'm stupid... but then again, so are you for poking fun at those with mental health issues.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

hellihooks wrote:this is GREAT... :beer: are you seriously (as in diagnosed) as OCD??? and if so... kudos on making it a positive aspect in your life... :thumb:

If just a joke... well, then... I'm stupid... but then again, so are you for poking fun at those with mental health issues.
I have mild OCD; nestled in with a few other quirky things. I guess one person's "poking fun" opinion is another's "I can relate" thought.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

i think hubbs HAS to be OCD... to enter the amount of data he enters... :crazyeyes: so-called 'disabilities' are only disabling, if you allow them to be... :thumb:
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Hi guys -

I finally got to log onto the internet (at some random Texas Starbucks) after non-stop driving through Texas since Saturday night. From the time I left work until about Monday night-ish, I had slept a total of 5 hours. Not that that is an amazing feat, it's just amazing that I do it without drugs, coffee, Red Bull, etc......... :lol:

I've banged out as much of Texas as I probably could, mostly driving, and I have much to add from my camera as all of the records have been uploaded through Herp Mapper. Some of the counties I thought would be easy were not productive at all (far West end of Texas, I'll have to try again on my way back in a few weeks) and some of the counties that I thought wre going to be tough ended up being very productive!!

I didn't plan on lots of storms ripping though here during this past week and was at first quite dejected, but the rains have proven to be a gift s it became easier to find frogs and toads on the road during and after and snakes coming out for some easy meals and snakes just out and about anyway, regardless of chilly temps and pouring rain!!

I haven't been officially diagnosed with OCD Jimbo, but I definitely have it. Not so with cleanliness (although I am super clean) but I have major OCD with symmetry and organization and numbers (for example, any type of volume has to always be set on an even number and all of my cash has to be all facing the same way :lol: :lol: ). So, when it comes to the HERP map and I see white counties it drives me INSANE :crazyeyes: and when I look at Texas and see someone entering records in a county right next to a white one I pound my fist on my table and plead "Please just hop over one county and get a voucher. Please. Please. PLEASE!!! All you have to do is find a toad!!!!" :D

Well, enough of the chit chatter, still raining out and I have a couple more counties to screw around in the next couple of days before venturing East some more. Happy herping!!
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

hellihooks wrote:
this is GREAT... :beer: are you seriously (as in diagnosed) as OCD??? and if so... kudos on making it a positive aspect in your life... :thumb:

If just a joke... well, then... I'm stupid... but then again, so are you for poking fun at those with mental health issues.[/quote]

I would never poke fun at anyone with mental health issues, but anyone who wastes gas, money and valuable free time chasing reptile and amphibians definitely has some issues......... :thumb:
mattg

Post by mattg »

MarcLinsalata wrote:
hellihooks wrote:

I would never poke fun at anyone with mental health issues, but anyone who wastes gas, money and valuable free time chasing reptile and amphibians definitely has some issues......... :thumb:[/quote]

hey now! what are you trying to say marc ? lol :lol: i don't call it wasting gas i call it a necessary expense (however i am looking at getting a prius to severely cut that cost down !) anyways, awesome work man i appreciate all of your efforts and you challenge me to get out there after getting off at 2 am and get a few dors! good luck man!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

MarcLinsalata wrote:
I haven't been officially diagnosed with OCD Jimbo, but I definitely have it. Not so with cleanliness (although I am super clean) but I have major OCD with symmetry and organization and numbers (for example, any type of volume has to always be set on an even number

I resist any change... and so for DECADES I've always set the volume on my TV, by even numbers, so, it was (i thought) a big deal when I decided it was time for a change, and started using only odd numbers... turns out i'm so old now i gotta turn my TV up to 30 to hear it... :shock: think about it.... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Yes to the money facing the same way and the volume needing to be at regular intervals (for me it's 5).

I also count stairs--number of steps per landing, etc. For example, in the last building where I worked, there was a landing between each floor (i.e. two flights of stairs), and four stairwells total in my wing--two in the front half, two in the back half. In the front half of the building, each flight in each stairwell had 14 steps. In the back half, one flight in each stairwell had 16 steps and one had 12 steps--same number of total steps, but it drove me crazy (somewhat literally).

Regarding the TX counties, and wondering why someone doesn't just go one more county--that's easily an extra hour or more, and much of my herping lately has been "incidental" while doing other errands, projects, etc. so I don't really have the time. There is a white county just north of the last county I logged, but again, I was in the south half of the county and it would've been another hour or so and I had other appointments.
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

chris_mcmartin wrote:Yes to the money facing the same way and the volume needing to be at regular intervals (for me it's 5).

I also count stairs--number of steps per landing, etc. For example, in the last building where I worked, there was a landing between each floor (i.e. two flights of stairs), and four stairwells total in my wing--two in the front half, two in the back half. In the front half of the building, each flight in each stairwell had 14 steps. In the back half, one flight in each stairwell had 16 steps and one had 12 steps--same number of total steps, but it drove me crazy (somewhat literally).

Regarding the TX counties, and wondering why someone doesn't just go one more county--that's easily an extra hour or more, and much of my herping lately has been "incidental" while doing other errands, projects, etc. so I don't really have the time. There is a white county just north of the last county I logged, but again, I was in the south half of the county and it would've been another hour or so and I had other appointments.
I understand, Chris, I was joking about the 'just one more county over' thing. Well, half joking :) I know how expensive and time consuming it can be.

Well, only Loving and Ector county remain in Texas - I'm going to have to close these on the way back home in a couple of weeks. I don't care how many passes I have to do on those lifeless roads, SOMETHING has to come out eventually. The rest have been successfully vouchered. I have a lot more entries to put in for my trip so far that I didn't use HErpMapper for, just need to crash in a hotel room soon for the night and crack a beer and start ID'ing the 8 million frog calling videos I have on my phone and camera :beer: .

Well, upward on and onward to Florida...............but I'm going to attempt to make Louisiana green as well tonight :shock:

Marc
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I had OCD with the database for a long time, but I decided to take a break and not enter as much. Now I have OCD with photographing birds. I'm up to 224+ species since Oct. I guess OCD does not go away, it just changes directions... :lol: I have not stopped getting herp data, just slowed down, but when I came home from the Midwest with 100 herp shots and over 850 bird pics I knew there was a problem...
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Woooo Hoooo!!!.... 8,001 posts (more than anyone else) sure glad i'm not OCD... i'd be out of control... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

You're not out of control? Since when?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:You're not out of control? Since when?
I don't pay attention to silly abstract stuff, like time. ;)
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Well, the trip was somewhat successful - I closed out Texas and Louisiana. Lots of DOR records, but whatever.

My last week was not so great in West Texas and New Mexico, it was awfully hot and dry and nothing much seemed to show but it was still fun and even managed a few unexpected lifers. I have many records to enter still including about 50 frog calling videos still between Texas, Louisiana, South Carolina and Florida. Very nerve wracking, especially the Florida ones where there are some clips of maybe 7 species calling. Going to be fun and nerve wracking at the same time. Headphones, beer, identify.............. :beer:
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Nice work Marc, Texas and Louisiana never looked better.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Good work Marc...you're the new Hubbs... :lol: But I think it's really cool that you've got the itch to fill in those ugly white and lavender counties. It's a hoot. Keep up the good work. I'm going to get back to doing that in the fall, if there's anything left to get by then... :shock:
SidNeilson

Post by SidNeilson »

MarcLinsalata wrote:Finishing work around 3am tonight then heading to Florida for some Everglades herping and possibly committing suicide by mosquito bites. My OCD, however, has kept me up sleepless nights staring at all of the unvouchered counties in the great state of Texas. Thus, in the next week my goal is to close out the state of Texas, and if unsuccessful, close it out on the way back from Florida. If nothing else, I'm sure it will be a lot of DORs. I just want Texas to be fully green on that map :thumb:
:lol: Sounds to me like you have OCD with addiction to boot. I'm no doctor but as herping is a biological pursuit, I feel I have the right to suggest you get help from fellow addicts here on FHF.
SidNeilson

Post by SidNeilson »

hellihooks wrote:Woooo Hoooo!!!.... 8,001 posts (more than anyone else) sure glad i'm not OCD... i'd be out of control... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same here at best summary. I would have died as a toddler. See Zika, Quincy and yellow fever.
SidNeilson

Post by SidNeilson »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Good work Marc...you're the new Hubbs... :lol: But I think it's really cool that you've got the itch to fill in those ugly white and lavender counties. It's a hoot. Keep up the good work. I'm going to get back to doing that in the fall, if there's anything left to get by then... :shock:

When are you going to change your username Brian? There can't be two Brian Hubbs usernames on this forum right? Marc should change his to something like this: Brian Hubbs Sr. (he can have it if not claimed for all I'm concerned) :beer:
SidNeilson

Post by SidNeilson »

hellihooks wrote:i think hubbs HAS to be OCD... to enter the amount of data he enters... :crazyeyes: so-called 'disabilities' are only disabling, if you allow them to be... :thumb:
So Jim are you an amateur Osteopath, a certified one or just an anthropologist like my minor? ;)
craigb

Post by craigb »

Yes you are correct Sid, this is a support group for Herpetophiles.

But the other thing that remains static is that everyone here is not exactly what they appear to be.
Many have expertise, professional certificates, college degrees, and jobs that they just don't advertise.
SidNeilson

Post by SidNeilson »

craigb wrote:Yes you are correct Sid, this is a support group for Herpetophiles.

But the other thing that remains static is that everyone here is not exactly what they appear to be.
Many have expertise, professional certificates, college degrees, and jobs that they just don't advertise.
:crazyeyes: Gee Craig why can't you leave it to me to throw myself and everyone else under the bus?
If we all do it, who will suffer?
craigb

Post by craigb »

I absolutely HATE the term "throwing someone under the bus".
In my past a real A-HOLE boss used the term 30-50 times daily.

So......NO SOUP FOR YOU !!!!
SidNeilson

Post by SidNeilson »

craigb wrote:I absolutely HATE the term "throwing someone under the bus".
In my past a real A-HOLE boss used the term 30-50 times daily.

So......NO SOUP FOR YOU !!!!
Then you should not become more than an acquaintance to my Anglo-Celtic sect of the lizard clan of Munster. Fallaballah!! Clann Fearghaill Abu!! God Save Billy!! :beer:

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... family.htm