Where do you get your AC?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tadd K.

Where do you get your AC?

Post by Tadd K. »

Hi, I am interested in setting up a new boardline and was wondering if any of you have recommendations for where to get artificial cover. I have heard that behind shopping centers they will throw out wood boards and such so that may be an option. Thanks!-
Tadd
Jimi

Re: Where do you get your AC?

Post by Jimi »

It used to be that pallets and cardboard behind stores were fair game, but I'm not sure that's completely true any more. Broken pallets, maybe. Don't get in trouble for stealing! Pallets aren't much good on their own, but they can be great to hold down other stuff, and also to reduce the overall amount of sun and UV hitting the main material. It slows down the heating and drying, can diversify an AC site nicely. A pallet atop a couple layers of cardboard and carpet, or on a piece of tin or plywood, can be alright.

If you can get hold of waxed cardboard boxes - those are durable and hold moisture great. I worked at a factory one summer that used a ton of those. We each messed up a box now and then, but the overall through-put was so high that by the end of every shift there was a fair pile. I think waxed cardboard doesn't recycle, it goes to the dump. I think a lot of farm produce goes into waxed boxes - check behind grocery stores? Or, ask the produce manager inside the store - that might be "less weird" than being found out back, and explaining yourself.

Changing gears a little -construction - whether new builds or remodels - generates a lot of recyclable garbage.

Seems like most of the new construction is commercial - multifamily housing, or mixed-use. Often with lots of steel and masonry - not so good for us. I also dunno how receptive they'd be to walk-ups asking for stuff. Definitely hostile to lurkers - I learned on some other summer jobs that thievery is rampant in construction, guys HATE getting their tools & materials stolen. They might think you're just scamming them, getting a look at them and their stuff for a later visit.

OTOH single-family home remodeling is also pretty hot right now, most everywhere I've been. Watch for drop-dumpsters in driveways, that's a dead giveaway. Depending on the kind of job(s) happening there - roofing, flooring, siding, all that and more - whatever - there may or may not be junk or scrap plywood, carpet, interior or exterior doors etc generated. Little jobs like this are more likely to have a single guy there, or a small crew, and this is a more likely route for friendly meeting than at a huge jobsite where everyone's stressed and running around, and maybe nobody there can make a decision anyway. But on those little jobs, an offer to help make their dumpster "last longer" would probably be welcome. Bring shoes or boots that are nail-proof! Or just make sure you're up-to-date on your tetanus shots (every 10 yrs is recommended), and take the nails in your feet. Doesn't hurt that bad, or for very long. Ha ha, but really. It doesn't.

I wouldn't mess with drywall or shingles. Both are Heavy, and drywall is ephemeral when exposed to the elements. Shingles last, and they can produce animals, but they are heavy and messy. Your call, you know what animals you're after and what sort of hike is ahead of you. Laying AC lines is hard work!

Another random thought - sometimes you can find contractor's dump sites and either modify them right there, or scoop up what you like and redeploy elsewhere. Likewise, you can also go to "the dump" (more likely a transfer station) and salvage there. But it's usually quite frowned upon.

There's no guarantees in this life, (well..."work and taxes" ha ha) but the SFH-remodel route has worked for me. Good luck.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Get a truck and get up early on trash day, look for stuff on the curb, ie old shelves, desks etc. You can dismantle and you've got ac!

Josh
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Good idea if where you are has that kind of "trash day". Utah is the only place I've lived (and I have been around) where there was a periodic "put a giant pile of crap in front of your house, and we will literally pick it all up" day. I SLC it's annual, but in West Valley they have it monthly. I feel it incentivizes a throw-away consumerist mentality, and totally devalues landfill space. That's a big deal in SoCal - my recollection is, they are pretty brutal about minimizing garbage there. But yeah, where I live now that's a great suggestion.

Do they have such a system in Alb? How about you, OP - could you use this suggestion where you live?
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Jimi wrote:Do they have such a system in Alb?
We have a couple weeks in the fall for "green" waste pickup meaning tree limbs, leaves etc. Anyone can request a "large item pickup" We have used this for old appliances and furniture, although, half the time it ends up getting picked up by someone else before the city picks it up. One trash pickup morning I saw a flatbed truck not owned by the city driving around with some appliances on it, i bet it's someone who fixes up old appliances and sells them. Good way to make a buck or two if you know what you're doing.

Josh
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Also, check with roofers for sheets of plywood
Tadd K.

Post by Tadd K. »

Thank you for the suggestions they were very helpful! I'll have to try a few to get my boardline going. Happy herping!
craigb

Post by craigb »

Believe it or not in So. Cal. there are so many prime places that have board lines I have seldom placed my own.
Also placing AC on public or private land that you don't own is littering.
You could also be cited if caught in the act, or have your stuff picked up the day after you put it out.

Before anyone gets all upset.....
I am extremely respectful of others board lines. I may check them once a year if I get out at all that year.
I do not advertise to others where your board line is, or photograph the area.
I do not even enter information in the database here.
I never take an animal from a board line.
I even try to photograph it without touching it.
I always replace the board as I found it.
I have even seen board lines that were ravaged; stuff thrown in trees and set up on there sides. I replace it as best I can.

In closing, if you have board line set up in Southern California I have probably seen it.
I have been field herping since 1973.
I have set up one board line in Riverside Co.
I know it has been checked, but I have not been there in three years.

I hope everyone reads this and respects others peoples' stuff and the environment.
I am not against collecting (legally with required licenses) and following regulations for take and limits.
I breed so many cool critters myself that taking one from the wild just means more work in my herp room.

I will share general information if I get a pm that is reasonable.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

General Stores and places like Lowes, Home Depot usually have stations where you can select pieces of plywood for board lines. I've gotten a couple dozen 3 ft by 4 ft boards there. Other times, I've gotten boards, doors, and carpet from neighbors around town during spring cleanup and yard sale season.

– Justin
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

I always find mine off dirt roads where people dump trash. You can find a lot of these places using google earth.