Smoky Mountain Snakes

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

eminart

Smoky Mountain Snakes

Post by eminart »

Have any of you had much luck finding snakes in the smoky mountains? I know it's the salamander capital of the world, but I live in, and grew up in northern AL, in the appalachian foothills. There was a salamander or two under every flat rock or log where I grew up, so I guess they just never intrigued me as much as snakes.

Anyway, back on topic, I think the species list is pretty similar to what we have here in Northern AL, but I'm just wondering if it would be worthwhile to do some road cruising while I'm there. It's going to be mid July, so night is going to be the best bet I know. I'd love to find some timbers, but I don't know what kind of population density they have up there.
Bryan Hamilton

Re: Smoky Mountain Snakes

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I haven't ever herped the Smoky's but reports do seem to be very salamander heavy.

Timber rattlesnakes seem to be commonly encountered in the Smoky's.

If you can find good roads to cruise get out there and do it!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Have any of you had much luck finding snakes in the smoky mountains?
I'm assuming you mean the GSMNP.

We've regularly found Waters, Queens, Ringnecks, black Gray Ratsnakes, Garters, Copperheads, and an occasional Eastern Milk, Worm Snake, Timbers, and Brown Snake inside the park, but your probability is much higher outside the park in the low lying farmland including Corns. There are some old records of Pines in the park.

Good luck for any responsible person to tell you specifically about Timbers.

Remember that in Tennessee, even outside the park, it is frowned upon to disturb non-game wildlife.
eminart

Post by eminart »

Thanks, guys. Sounds about like I thought. And, I'm not asking for anyone to tell me any specifics about timbers, or any other snake. Just curious how much luck people have had up there.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

I have spent 100's of hours in the GSMNP. I have only seen 3 snakes, 2 Garters and a Copperhead. But then again I generally go there to photograph the rivers and falls which is best shot on cloudy/rainy days.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

I just spent the last week there in the Tremont area. We found a garter snake, and a bunch of copperheads (at least a couple copperheads every night).
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Spend a 1/2 day Trout fishing and you'll likely see Waters and Queens.