What's happening in this photo?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bryan Hamilton

What's happening in this photo?

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I found this on inaturalist. Pretty cool feeding observation from Arizona.

I'm looking for corroboration on the species involved in this photo.

Thank you.

Edit: The photographer asked me to take the photo down.

Follow the link to see the photo.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observation ... nt_2730489
Kelly Mc

Re: What's happening in this photo?

Post by Kelly Mc »

It looks like a shovel nosed snake Bryan and what its doing is strongly similiar to what I see snakes doing in enclosures where they are exposed to ubv wavelengths.

I have dozens and dozens of photos of this discreet behavior.

I think it is a basking behavior or a way of 'testing' temperature and lighting conditions with less risk than 1rst quadrant head/heart/lung body exposure to predators.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I wont be embarrassed - well maybe a little - if i saw the gray object as something inorganic, in front of, a snake's tail exposed out of cover.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I have never seen a live blind snake, but if that is a blind snake eating a shovel nosed snake, then I am hopeful that my theory of caudal exposure doesnt seem as crazy as it sounds.

I swear that thing looks like a piece of wire fence. I didnt focus on it and in my excitement just saw the snake's tail, which turns me into a perception theory in itself!

Is that what that is??
Bob McKeever

Post by Bob McKeever »

Seems to be a Ring-necked Snake preying on either a Ground Snake or Banded Sand Snake. More info would help, but with the characters to be seen in the photo, I come down on the side of Chilomeniscus with Sonora running a close second.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Theres nothing like the quick sear of an enthusiastic mistake to inspire one to learn more - now Im impelled to better learn about the small banded guys of Arizona.

Thanks! :oops: :)

I do hope though that my caudal exposure observation is someday shared/ looked into and that I havent marred its potential as a 'thing'
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Here's a link to the observation on inaturalist.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/3540904

Folks are trying to say both snakes are ground snakes. To me the "eater" is definitely not a groundsnake. I've never seen that pattern or color combination in a groundsnake and I love to look at pictures of groundsnake variability....
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

In the link pic i can easily see the scalation, eyes and even head musculature of the Grey Snake, even the slight compression of the banded snake being eaten.

But what is the grey snake?
Kookamongus

Post by Kookamongus »

Looks to be a really large ringneck snake eating a ground snake.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

The ringneck snake eating a snake makes that most likely, instead of a freak eating event and looking more like a standard snake in a clearer pic but could someone apply some clarity to me about the cryptic banded sand/ground snake species of SW?

Im not clear on identifying those. Its muddled to me.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

I think it's a Regal ringneck eating a ground snake. The larger ringneck are notorious snake-eaters. In AZ, ringnecks can occur in semi-arid and even arid areas at higher elevations, but they are very unlikely to occur in the same habitat as banded sand snakes or shovel nosed snakes. The small amount of habitat visible in the photo suggests against lower desert.

FH
DRDAN

Post by DRDAN »

Neat observation of a Diadophis eating a Chilomeniscus. I’ve heard there are “ringless” ring necks in some parts of AZ but have as yet to find one.
Paul Freed

Post by Paul Freed »

I photographed an all grey Sonora semiannulata in Study Butte, west Texas back in 2004 (see below) that looks similar to the one in the posted observation. What do you all think?

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Sometimes hints or flecks of pigment can be a clue, when a solid mutation is compared to a phenotypically solid colored snake of contention, which will Always have a typically pigmented iris.

An atypically solid specimen may have irises that are also pigmented atypically ( a shade matching the body, or the blotches, bands, belly color that aint there)

This isnt like, something I picked up per captive morphs which I really dont follow, and dont think they would follow the same, in the applied genetic mish mosh..

Anyway someone with Regal and Ground Snake color forms would be able to peep more. Ive already screwed up with my initial jump in but I wonder if any one can resolute on the irises for a possible clue. Since they are both brightly marked usually my input may be moot but Im interested
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

I have to vote for another " Diadophis eating a Chilomeniscus."

On Gray Sonora ..... Have there been any records of ophiophagy by Chilomeniscus or Sonora?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Hey guys, Im still quite struck by the absolute mathematical rigidity of the gray snake - could it also be a clue?

Would a Ringneck snake take on such an unusual conformation, or if its not a ringneck, could that be a kind of reactive physical - to ie; "biting off more than it bargained for" Or has it ever been seen with small species eating large, linear inverts?
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Sometimes , when the prey snake stops struggling, a ringneck or king will backup to straighten out the meal that may well be longer than itself.

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=264517
http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=161314
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Yes, Ive seen prey manipulation before, but that sure is a peculiar moment.

Like the King Cobra of his mini domain. Badass.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I think its important to let people see that the membership here operates in a dominatingly helpful spirit. I could have easily been shamed, or savaged, but that really doesnt happen here much, and its cool to share what we think, including odd esoterics. People here who are SW experts are patient and kind and Im stoked that Arizona is in my future plans.

I had started a notebook with Arizona Dreamin' on it and Fieldherper's post is written in it.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

It is definitely a Regal Ringneck eating a Ground Snake. The locality precludes the victim being a Sand Snake.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

a Ground Snake. The locality precludes the victim being a Sand Snake.
Brian, is this because of range or habitat?
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I'm with Hubbs. Ringer and a Sonora. That's a fun pic. I didn't go to the original source. In far NW AZ that is the only Sonora morph I've seen, but elsewhere they diversify.

Bryan - what county is the pic from?

Hubbs - what's shakin'?
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Hey Jimi,

Its from Montezuma Castle, Yavapai county.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Thanks Bryan. I've never pulled in there for a look, though I drive by at least once a year. I like that ecotone as you run down the freeway through there into the desert. That seems pretty close to where the saguaros start / end.

There's some super fun herping a little farther down the hill there. Red speck land.

Is a Great Basin ringer still one of your white whales? Hey (here's a chance...) Mark and I are scheming a trip to not so far from Pioche this coming weekend; think you can make some time? I'd like to discover the Beaver Dam wash around the state line. Not sure what he's gonna advocate.

cheers
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

That sounds rad. Far enough south for mitchelli?
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Far enough south for mitchelli?
Mos' def

Could call it a target...

Got time?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

If you see any snake tails on mild mornings, motionless for minutes on end before a foot fall, think about it.

Maybe soon I will be able to join yooz guys
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

And take a pic!