Another threat - invasive Pentastomid

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BillMcGighan

Another threat - invasive Pentastomid

Post by BillMcGighan »

Looks like the cows are out of the pasture on this one.

Another example of ignorance of the jackasses who released the Burmese Pythons in the Glades!

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... lorida_USA
WSTREPS

Re: Another threat - invasive Pentastomid

Post by WSTREPS »

More like another example of scientist cashing in on the Pythons for paychecks mania.

" Extending Parasite Range in Florida, USA "

What? Right off the bat the scientist showed their deceit by placing that misleading line, bold faced in the "studies" title. The study showed NO range extension. Having No proof has never stopped invasive scientist (or in general) from the promotion of imaginary scenarios. Another example of ambitiousness and cluelessness driving scientific misbehavior.

Examining the study that initially sparked this NEW python related scare threat of an invasive Pentastomid . Finds a number of questionable practices used to drive a round peg into a square hole, to manufacture the nanoscopic difference needed to set off the invasive pentastomid false alarm. The biological fact is, there in not one indication the Pentastomida attributed to the python introduction are having any adverse effects on native reptile population's. There is only evidence that they are not.

Ernie Eison
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Pentastomids are invasive moving from site to site in the body of an animal. In doing so it can symptomatically look like other disease expressions, and even cause paralysis with brain tissue involvement, simulating injury, or encephalic virus infection.

Thank you for the article share Bill. Pigmy Rattlenakes are American treasures.

Old Guy story Bill, I will abbreviate here just to say, as someone who aint squeamish, an encounter with a Pentastomid changed my 'self care' habits at work, Permanently. I would in those days, empty a whole bucket of new water, if something even passed over it in the busy prep room where alot of dirty things got slung around. Yet I would absently munch on Doritos, without washing my own hands. Nor would I pay attention to my scrapes and cuts - something I think I subtly absorbed from my father, oddly enough. I do alot of work things like my father - something I didnt realize until later in life.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I dont think overkill in applying biological hygiene is ever wasted energy. Not eating Doritos with dirty hands just because Im a mammal, is a rough example, but a problem avoided is never rewarded, but still the way to go.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Doritos, parasites and open wounds, you've seen stuff Kelly....

I don't have any real phobias but parasites creep me out. Just thinking out them makes my heart rate go up.
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

For those that might not understand. Pentastomids are a wide spread naturally occurring parasite commonly found in North American snakes, including pigmy rattlesnake's , in size classes from juveniles all the way up to reproductive adults . When in the wild many snakes show no ill effects from the presents of these parasites. The biological fact is, there in not one sound indication the Pentastomida attributed to the python introduction are having any unnatural effects on native reptile population's. There is only evidence that they are not.

I will gladly present the challenge to any scientist to produce evidence to the contrary.

Ernie Eison
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

It's not a healthy development.

I dont have alot of money but I would be happy if any of my tax dollars went to grants to pay scientists to study this and any herpetological/ecological/biological hygiene endeavor.