Jersey Softshells Locations

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Carl98

Jersey Softshells Locations

Post by Carl98 »

Hello,
Havnt posted in awhile, been busy with wall lizard research. However, Im taking a little break and looking for a different introduced species in NJ, The Spiny Soft shell Turtle (Apalone spinifera). I cant seem to find any reliable records from recent years. The only one Ive found is from 2017 at Parvin State Park. The claim to be well established in the Maurice River System and through my own observations, granted limited, and speaking with frequent fishermen or kayakers report no observations. Im wondering if they are in fact extirpated? I also heard reports of softshells in the Neshaminy Creek in Bucks Co. PA with 2 obscured reports on iNaturalist. If anyone has any info on their status or where to find them it would be greatly appreciated. If you dont want to post publicly, feel free to PM me with the info. Also you can find my iNat account under dodomae98
ackee

Re: Jersey Softshells Locations

Post by ackee »

I saw a fairly sizable Spiny Softshell in Union Lake six years ago. It's the only one I've come across in NJ. It was almost dinner plate size, in very shallow water, in a small cove.
herper1

Post by herper1 »

Ive seen them in Neshamany creek, PA a few years ago
Carl98

Post by Carl98 »

Ok, thanks. Seems that they are either really rare or just really good at hiding