Herping Wisconsin 2019

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

CanebrakeRattlesnake

Herping Wisconsin 2019

Post by CanebrakeRattlesnake »

Long time no post! I didn't get much done this year or really go anywhere that I wanted to due to various reasons, but it was still a good year and I saw some super cool stuff! Also it looks like we're not moving for a few years yet, so I've got time to look for stuff here. I know this is the field herping section but I figure I'd show some of my other cool 2019 finds as well, from January all the way to October.

Okay, already not doing what I said I'd do... This photos is from 2018, but I can't resist sharing it. Plus it was only a few days before 2019 so it counts, right? ;) I never thought that I would see a wild animal with a color mutation, and I've even seen him again this year too! He's partially leucistic, AKA piebald.
ImageBlack-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

Okay, now this one is actually from 2019.
ImageWhite-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageWhite-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageVirginia Opossum (Didelphis virginiana) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

Look! An actual herp for my field herping post! The lighting is super bad but this girl was HUGE, I can't resist posting a photo of her. She was just lounging on the side of the road, at first I thought she was DOR but when I started brushing the dirt and sticks off the top of her shell she opened an eye to look at me.
ImageCommon Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageEastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageEastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

I'm absolutely terrified of the diseases ticks spread but I have to admit, I find them quite cute :lol:
ImageDeer Tick (Ixodes scapularis) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageWestern Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta bellii) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageWestern Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta bellii) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageAmerican Bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageGreen Frog (Lithobates clamitans) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageNorthern Leopard Frog (Lithobates pipiens) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageEastern American Toad (Anaxyrus americanus americanus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageBald-faced Hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

Besides the huge snapper I found, I also found this tiny little fella!
ImageCommon Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageRose Chafer (Macrodactylus subspinosus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageNorthern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon sipedon) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageNorthern Map Turtle (Graptemys geographica) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

I saw these two lovebirds romancing two days in a row! Not actually sure it was the same male, but I recognize the female since she was missing the tip of her tail.

Saw this cool dude in a pond my mom and I now call "Frog pond." Without rain it began drying up, and hundreds of tadpoles and a few fish ended up stuck in it. My mom spent two days hauling buckets of tadpoles back over to the river bank to release them so they wouldn't die. I also found some catfish and a bowfin in the pond hanging out with them and rescued those guys as well.
ImageSix-spotted Fishing Spider (Dolomedes triton) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageUnidentified Pillbug by Alex Richards, on Flickr

I'm not really into plants, but sometimes I still stop and photograph them!
ImageDitch Lily (Hemerocallis fulva) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

Found this wiggly buddy under a wet log on a riverbank! Leeches are super funky, it's so cool how they can stretch themselves out and move like an inchworm.
ImageUnidentified Leach by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageEastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageMonarch (Danaus plexippus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageYellow Garden Spider (Argiope aurantia) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

I call this one "Truth Coming Out of Her Well" :lol:
ImageWhite River Crayfish (Procambarus acutus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageEuropean Paper Wasp (Polistes dominula) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageMonarch (Danaus plexippus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageHumped Beewolf (Philanthus gibbosus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageLocust Longhorn Borer (Megacyllene robiniae) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageSwift Feather-legged Fly (Trichopoda pennipes) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageTrogus pennator by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageDark Paper Wasp (Polistes fuscatus) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

ImageDifferential Grasshopper (Melanoplus differentialis) by Alex Richards, on Flickr

And there you have it! Hopefully 2020 will be a better year for finding herps. Now let's see if I can find the motivation to take all of my herp videos from 2019 and combine them into one big video for Youtube... :lol:
Porter

Re: Herping Wisconsin 2019

Post by Porter »

Snapping turtle... cool photo :thumb: I like the sticks and muck attached. definitely an artistic display piece. I like the whole concept of a chunk of muddy muck being a hidden living creature... I like a lot of the perspective points in this and the insit bullfrong with the "A" in the sticks. Im always looking for stuff like that when doing insitu. Awesome angle on that shot as well. perfectly balanced. Nice job with mom at the pond :beer:

Lots of interesting draw to your photos with your use of angle and shapes placement. Keep it up! really dig those frog in situs and the natural aspect conveyed
CanebrakeRattlesnake

Re: Herping Wisconsin 2019

Post by CanebrakeRattlesnake »

Porter wrote: January 16th, 2020, 6:37 pm Snapping turtle... cool photo :thumb: I like the sticks and muck attached. definitely an artistic display piece. I like the whole concept of a chunk of muddy muck being a hidden living creature... I like a lot of the perspective points in this and the insit bullfrong with the "A" in the sticks. Im always looking for stuff like that when doing insitu. Awesome angle on that shot as well. perfectly balanced. Nice job with mom at the pond :beer:

Lots of interesting draw to your photos with your use of angle and shapes placement. Keep it up! really dig those frog in situs and the natural aspect conveyed
Thank you so much, that means a lot!