Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Ross Padilla

Holtville locality Cal king

Post by Ross Padilla »

Kelly Mc

Re: Holtville locality Cal king

Post by Kelly Mc »

I always thought a solid black king was the most beautiful thing.

But that subtle gild, damn elegant.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Ah, I just looked closer and the hint of platinum - Exquisite.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Thanks. It's really nice to see the incidence of locality breeders may be on its way back. Locality breeders seem to be generally more knowledgable.

I've never been so disappointed at deli cup shows in the past 5 years with the overwhelming amount of ball Pythons coupled with the general feeling that I'm at a flea market where the same person selling snakes could just as well be peddling cheap tools or a velvet picture of Elvis!
:lol: :lol:
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I've never been so disappointed at deli cup shows in the past 5 years with the overwhelming amount of ball Pythons coupled with the general feeling that I'm at a flea market where the same person selling snakes could just as well be peddling cheap tools or a velvet picture of Elvis!
I know the feeling. Now combine that one, with the irony of dealing with folks who still think the '80s/'90s tricolor craze is alive and well. "The $400 milk snake." Mmm, bile. Good for what ails ya. Ha ha. Boo hoo.

Ross - is that actually what the wild ones look like? Or is that a "souped up locality line"? Sort of exaggerated for effect? Neat animals, whatever the case may be.

Another question - um, the combining/crossing of localities? Just shooting for some interesting looking animals, or...? I'm just honestly confused, not trying/wanting to be "pointed". Not in the least. Thanks for the posts & pics!

cheers
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Kelly Mc wrote:I always thought a solid black king was the most beautiful thing.

But that subtle gild, damn elegant.
Kelly Mc wrote:Ah, I just looked closer and the hint of platinum - Exquisite.
:D Thanks, Kelly. I really like her too. Most of my adults turn brown.
BillMcGighan wrote:Thanks. It's really nice to see the incidence of locality breeders may be on its way back. Locality breeders seem to be generally more knowledgable.

:lol: :lol:
Thanks, Bill. That's one of the reasons why I stay away from shows. No fun to me.
Jimi wrote:Ross - is that actually what the wild ones look like? Or is that a "souped up locality line"? Sort of exaggerated for effect? Neat animals, whatever the case may be.

Another question - um, the combining/crossing of localities? Just shooting for some interesting looking animals, or...? I'm just honestly confused, not trying/wanting to be "pointed". Not in the least. Thanks for the posts & pics!

cheers
Thanks, Jimi. Yes, that's how dark the wc dad was. This locality varies considerably from this dark to narrow white bands that still have a bit more dark pigment in the light areas than what is "normal". Males are normally darker than females, but this female is as dark as a dark male. This locale has the darkest Yuma kings I've seen from any other locale so far.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Jimi, I can assure you having found several in that area, they are very dark, and I concur about the males tending to be darker but my sample group not large enough to be definitive about that... The area is so intensely hot, they are not easily found in my experience, but I lived there a few years and stumbled on them now and then. All were very dark, and the pair in photo look like the ones I saw.

Vic