Southern Oregon

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NW Gorge Crawler

Southern Oregon

Post by NW Gorge Crawler »

I am thinking about exploring this area for the first time. Any helpful hints?

Thanks
Andrew
Richard F. Hoyer

Re: Southern Oregon

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

What species are interested in observing?

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon)
NW Gorge Crawler

Post by NW Gorge Crawler »

Any and all. Just an area I am interested in exploring. Would love to see the 2 Lampropeltis down there. Its an area I have only passed through in the past.

Andrew
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Heads up:

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentM ... .aspx?West

The Klamath / Siskiyou country is looking rough, drought-wise.
Would love to see the 2 Lampropeltis down there. Its an area I have only passed through in the past.
That country is worth spending some time in. Getula always appreciate water; even irrigated lands. In my experience zonata are easiest (that word being used relatively...) early in the season.

You'd better get going. Take care with the locals, some are, uh...pretty darn sketchy. Meth looks bad on people.

Good hunting!
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

George,
My efforts have centered on encountering the Rubber Boa, Common Sharp-tailed Snake and Forest Sharp-tailed Snake in southwestern Oregon. In that process, I have encountered both species if kingsnakes, Racers, Gopher Snakes, 3 or 4 species of garter snakes, some lizards, one Black Salamander and one adult Pacific Giant Salamander.

If you wish to learn where I viewed the kingsnakes, or any of the other species, send me a private message.

Richard F. Hoyer
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I've only hunted southwest oregon very briefly but have found it fantastic.

First time I spent a couple mornings tagging along with my dad bear hunting in May near the coast and found dunn's, del norte, coastal giant, southern torrent, newts, pacific chorus frog, foothill yellow-bellied frog, skinks, northern alligator, fence lizards, and northwestern garters.

The second time my friend Matt and I got in an afternoon exactly two years later to the day but further inland where it's drier. Saw two racers, three gopher snakes, a ringneck, a mountain king, and a rattler along with the common lizards.

Other neat herps in the area include california slender salamanders, siskiyou mountains salis, black salamanders, tailed frog, cal kings, rubber boas, two species of sharptail and four species of garter snake.

Like someone said above, it's all about what you want to target. For the most part frogs and salis are closer to the coast (unless you're looking for blacks and siskiyou mountain). Garters and forest sharptails are easier in the cooler, wetter spots while rattlers, racers, gophers, common sharptails and kings are looking for a bit more sun. The nice part is that there's enough diversity that even if the weather isn't great for one thing, you can likely find a place cooler or warmer, wetter or drier, and target something else.