(legal) Zonata Keepers

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

(legal) Zonata Keepers

Post by Kelly Mc »

Not all people involved with the husbandry of Zonatas are obtuse habitat destroyers. Keeping Zonata is a sensitized topic, they are fetishized; even though there are tri-colored lampropeltis with equally stunning banding that are 'easier' to feed, and less spatially demanding.

My guy is a gifted hatchling from a gravid WC female (herper had a propagation permit) legally collected from a herper, very much enamored with the species.

I hatched him and his sibs in my cabinet and agreed to sex the brood and in return if I wanted, have pick of the litter.

Because of the "sensitivities" associated with the species, I mean, if you are that worried about what other herpers think about your having legally collected a Z, well, just dont do it. Simple.

As someone most familiar with standard CB animals or imported WCs, the paranoia, withn a legal perimeter was odd. And then I realized it was a Peer or, 'social' concern.

Transparency is invincible.

The truth is they are an interesting species and different than other lampropeltis to keep, if one is keeping with subject Q.O.L in mind.

I know there are keepers out there who have experienced the fascinating behaviors these animals express when afforded an opportunity beyond neurological reflex of feeding and copulating in a breed bin.

I have kept thousands of snakes and my guy is one of the most expansively astute species I have ever kept.

Anyone observed the same?
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Re: (legal) Zonata Keepers

Post by Scott Waters »

They are a fun challenge as hatchlings. I see no reason to not talk about legally acquired herps. Any haters can.....ya know. :)

Enjoy! What subspecies?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Multifasciata. Same guy.

Today I didnt work much around his encl, but I did my other king - a lady cali, I put some more wood while she stayed hiding.

My snakes emerge relatively early. I dont put them down but I do keep them cooler.

Anyway I hope she approves of what Ive done with the place. Im eager to see her relaxing on there.

You know how it is. So much the fun part.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Spring is almost here Scott.

Lots of folks spending more time in their herp rooms than maybe they ever have in prior years.

Whats been goin on in there?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

My cali king came out and had her first spring meal.
Paul O'Connor

Post by Paul O'Connor »

Kelly, could you explain what you mean by a "breed bin." I've never heard of that term.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Bins used for storing snakes in breeding pairs or groups.