Herping Panama - Sierra Llorona area in Colon Province

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Carlcia

Herping Panama - Sierra Llorona area in Colon Province

Post by Carlcia »

Hey everyone! So back in 2019 I assisted University of Florida PhD Candidate Ed Basham in conducting canopy surveys for amphibians in Panama. Here are some photos of the time spent there, which was in July and August. I have a love/hate relationship with Panama - on one hand the biodiversity is out of this world, and on the other hand, the country's beautiful natural landscapes are being exploited by its inhabitants for quick profit. Feel free to comment or ask questions. You can also email me at [email protected].
Enjoy!
Bothrops asper
1.jpg
Praying mantis
2.jpg
Pristimantis gaigei
3.jpg
Nothopsis rugosus
4.jpg
Sphaerodactylus sp.
5.jpg
Phrynonax poecilonotus
6.jpg
Andinobates fulguritus
7.jpg
Chironius grandisquamous
8.jpg
Kinosternon sp.
9.jpg
Leptophis riveti
10.jpg
Ameiva
11.jpg
Zombie FUNGUS!
12.jpg
Dipsas articulata
13.jpg
Sibon nebulatus
14.jpg
Leptodeira septentrionalis
15.jpg
Caiman crocodilus
16.jpg
Dendrophidion apharocybe
17.jpg
Oophaga pumilio
18.jpg
Oxybelis aeneus
19.jpg
Cruziohyla calcarifer
20.jpg
Oscaecilia ochrocephala
21.jpg
Noah Carl with the big Sibon nebulatus
22.jpg
23.jpg
Habitat shot
24.jpg
Agalychnis callidryas
25.jpg
I think I ran out of space, so maybe a part 2 below haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carlcia

Re: Herping Panama - Sierra Llorona area in Colon Province

Post by Carlcia »

Here are the rest of the photos:
Lepidophyma flavimaculatum
26.jpg
L. septentrionalis feasting on A. callidryas eggs
27.jpg
Bolitoglossa sp. (I think B. biseriata, but I could be wrong)
28.jpg
Not sure on this one... Some type of glass frog I think
29.jpg
Little Bothrops asper
30.jpg
Rhadinaea decorata
31.jpg
Not sure on this frog either...
32.jpg
Porthidium nasutum
33.jpg
Sibon argus
34.jpg
Ninia maculata
35.jpg
Corytophanes sp.
36.jpg
Habitat shot
37.jpg
Ptychoglossus sp.
38.jpg
Rhadinaea sargenti
39.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
Oxybelis brevirostris
42.jpg
Imantodes cenchoa
43.jpg
Enuliophis sclateri
44.jpg
Pliocercus euryzonus
45.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mirza Shahzad

Post by Mirza Shahzad »

That's a monster Sibon nebulatus, had no idea any species from the genus grows this big. Will be great if u throw in a couple more pics of the beast.
It's a dream to spend at least a couple of months with some research project in such neotropical paradise, the normal tourist thing won't suffice ! How exactly you applied for the role, any particular qualification for such assistant work ?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Noah

I've never been to the tropics, so I have to vicariously travel with the aid of more daring types as yourself. The Nothopsis is a very strange snake!
If it's of any import, I think your finger Dendrophidion is a neonate Erythrolamprus epinephelus juvenalis, and your "not sure of" frog is, perhaps, Smilisca phaeota.
Thanks for the post,

Jeff
Carlcia

Post by Carlcia »

Mirza Shahzad wrote: February 11th, 2021, 6:05 am That's a monster Sibon nebulatus, had no idea any species from the genus grows this big. Will be great if u throw in a couple more pics of the beast.
It's a dream to spend at least a couple of months with some research project in such neotropical paradise, the normal tourist thing won't suffice ! How exactly you applied for the role, any particular qualification for such assistant work ?
Hey thanks! Yea the Sibon was a chunky monkey for sure haha. Look for positions on the TAMU job board (https://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/job-board/) and hope something pops up is my suggestion. There wasn't really qualifications for the position I took in Panama - except being relatively fit enough to climb trees and deal with loads of insects. Having a Biology degree and hands-on herp experience didn't hurt, but field work is so much more than just an interest in the subject. It's also probably good to be a bit outgoing and jovial. Especially if it's just you and another researcher in the field for a few months!

Hope that helps!
-- Noah
Carlcia

Post by Carlcia »

Jeff wrote: February 11th, 2021, 6:41 pm Noah

I've never been to the tropics, so I have to vicariously travel with the aid of more daring types as yourself. The Nothopsis is a very strange snake!
If it's of any import, I think your finger Dendrophidion is a neonate Erythrolamprus epinephelus juvenalis, and your "not sure of" frog is, perhaps, Smilisca phaeota.
Thanks for the post,

Jeff
Hey thank you for your correction and the Smilisca ID. You sure know how to ID for have never been to the tropics! Have a good one.

-- Noah
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

This was a great show. To pick favorites if i had to this time around looking, I really liked the pic of the bothrops on the leaf. I also really like the Parrot Snake extending from the sector in the fronds.

That ones poetry.