Long-time Lurker with a Video Suite

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hcarlton

Long-time Lurker with a Video Suite

Post by hcarlton »

I've checked in on and off to this site but never actually made an account until now; I've been a reptile nut for over 20 years, actively been out on trips solely to look for herps over the last 7 or 8 or so, and have recently attempted to take the activity to a more educational level in a couple different ways. I started putting together videos to document finds and trips last year, so to start off here's the first one I made as an intro (hopefully it posts right, I'm a bio nut but a tech dunce):
Bryan Hamilton

Re: Long-time Lurker with a Video Suite

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

8-) Nice job!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Agreed! Love your delivery and wholesome vibe.

Looking forward to more.
hcarlton

Post by hcarlton »

Thanks for the positives! As I said I'm a tech dunce so the past year has just been a slow work in progress trying to get the videos to look better and get as much info into them as I can think of (and have a little fun along the way here and there).
My next couple of vids were short clips of the first rattlers I found last year, with two different groups of friends. One was temporarily collected for venom studies done by my university here:

And the other, a snake that I sadly think was clipped by a car, but hopefully not so badly as to not be able to recover:
hcarlton

Post by hcarlton »

This past winter was spent making videos about the animals and plants at home (will probably be doing the same this winter since herping around here is kind of impossible in the snow), and then with spring, started out with finding frogs:
hcarlton

Post by hcarlton »

My first reptile video from this year, a couple favored locations from the nearby foothills:
hcarlton

Post by hcarlton »

Not the longest vid I've made so far, but this trip was perhaps my most exciting personally so far; after looking for years, I finally located a snake I've been wanting to see desperately:
hcarlton

Post by hcarlton »

Thus far most of my videos have been moderately short productions; two forays to southeastern Colorado for a full weekend required longer documentation however. This was the first:
hcarlton

Post by hcarlton »

After the first SE CO trip, stuck around home to make a couple more short vids:

DylanMcDiarmid

Post by DylanMcDiarmid »

Fellow long time off and on lurker here as well.

I personally appreciate the educational nature of your videos. I hope that they help viewers to better understand and therefore refrain from harming snakes. It would be great to see some more new faces and a sort of revival of activity on the forum.

Rad milk snake btw!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Excellent! So enjoyable. You have a great speaking style - intelligent but really warm and friendly. You handle the animals non gratuitously with wise, calm hands.

Count me as a fan.
hcarlton

Post by hcarlton »

Thanks to both; I'll admit I manage tones better in person and through videos than I do in online methods (so if I come off sounding excessively blunt, touchy, etc. in writing here, I can't process written conversation as well as verbal so I end up going straight to points more than I should) so I'm glad it comes through as I want it to in the vids. I certainly prefer forum setups since stuff doesn't just end up vanishing like it does on social media platforms, so if I can help bump up this forum again I'm glad to.

The most recent video I've managed (and most likely the last field-related one for the year, sadly, unless a monetary miracle occurs) is also the longest: the second trip I managed to the southeastern corner of my state (and just a little bit over the line into the next state):