Rocky Snakeproof Boots?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jason Mintzer

Rocky Snakeproof Boots?

Post by Jason Mintzer »

I want a good pair of snakeproof boots for walking in tall grass/brush. Has anyone had any experience with the Rocky Snake Proof boots or any other recommendations? Boot chap combinations? I hate wearing boots, and usually herp in trail runners, but have been nervous with all of the helleri about lately. Thank you.
Don

Re: Rocky Snakeproof Boots?

Post by Don »

I wear Justin Dune Traction http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=261490 snakeboots. I like them because there are no laces to fiddle with or buckles to get caught on stuff. The uppers are Kevlar, so they are fairly lightweight. Prior to the Justins I had Gokeys, which were very comfortable but heavy and hot and had those infernal buckles.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I have a pair that never get used. The toes are too cramped for me even though they are the "wide". I had the same experience with the first pair that I bought, but then bought a bigger size hoping that would fix the problem (nope). Wide feet will not like the Rocky snakeproof boots. Also, the legging material is way too heavy. Snake chaps would be better.
millside

Post by millside »

I got my son a pair. They will leak, make no doubt about it, they are a little bulky for him but he is small.10 years.
they do give me piece of mind for some of our hikes though.
bigdonniebrasco

Post by bigdonniebrasco »

Hey Jason, I'll send you mine for $20!
Size 10
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I'm holding out for boots that attract snakes. I bought the cheapie snake boots at cabelas once. They were great, I put them through some nasty, muddy, stinky, briar filled, brushy, habitats. Half the time I left them in the back of the truck to be cooked by full summer sun or soaking wet. They lasted about 2 seasons I think before they were done. Not bad for less than 100$. No experience with any other brands, though. I went back to cheapo hiking boots, think the latest one is from walmart about 40$ and went back to regular rubber (jungle) boots for aquatic situation.. maybe 10$ for those. If a snake is quite big, I think it has the possibility of striking over the top of the boot anyway. A couple of times when a rattlesnake was in a defensive position, I noticed its head seemed to be level with or higher than the boot itself. I think the ground was reasonably level. Going up a hillside, definitely all bets are off even if one does not fall down. Fortunately, something like this seems to practically never happen.
Don

Post by Don »

I have had a large EDB go above the top of my Gokeys and hang its fangs in my jeans. It was a chilling sensation to feel the venom run down my leg. A very good argument for tucking one's trousers inside one's boots (which I no longer do). However, I am now unlikely to find anything more threatening than a copperhead or moccasin so it's a not-issue. I would rethink my legwear, especially if in the realm of big atrox on uneven terrain.
Saunders

Post by Saunders »

The Rocky's work well.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

If you want boots that attract snakes, then stomp around in used mouse bedding before you go herping. Watch your back trail.
Jason Mintzer

Post by Jason Mintzer »

Thanks guys - I think I will go with hiking boots and chaps.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Gaiters. Easy on, easy off.
Tim