It is currently October 31st, 2014, 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The History of the term LECH... Looking for answers
PostPosted: June 26th, 2010, 10:12 pm 

Eimon wrote:
Rattlesnakes are NOT lame, no matter how many, where ever, or how posted. They're Crotes and they can F' you up. The only thing lame is sticking them in your mouth and posting pics of it as they bite your tongue.

Dusky pygmy rattlesnakes are LECHs. That's one we just drive around. They may not be rattlesnakes, but Cottonmouths can still F' you up, and they are LECHs for sure.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 2:43 am 

Hey Nick, 1 out of 2 ain't bad :) I include Sistrurus w/ Crotes (for this purpose.) Duskys are just your version of Winders. Cottons are lame for sure! But, don't tell anyone.....I'm quite partial to the A. pictigasters and laticinctus from Texas ;)

Chad, what up! Justinm has consistantly proven himself universally lame (he doesn't even need a coast) so why even bother :sleep: :crazyeyes: Try having a 50 or 60 snake night with a pair of boots.........oh, that's right, you can't. :mrgreen:

Mr S, does the Ven forum count back then, or just the Field Collecting? There were some absolutely classic cats on that one. CGex, MissTT, Stipetic, Allen Hunter, and more. I think a younger BGF and WW also floated in, as well as a real Hoser. Oh yeah, those were the days! Hey, did Jerry let Marty do his own posts back then? :lol: Can't forget Karl Betz, Jaffo (Fundads best friend) and how about York and Derrick Morgan, Mardi Snipes just to name a few more.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 5:10 am 

Quote:
As far as the topic goes, I have an interesting question... the good old days on the "not allowed" fieldherping forum came up... I was there starting August 98 as Chris G. and later as Mr. Sonora. Just curious who else was around. Here is an incomplete list of the members I remember:

As mentioned in this thread I have been posting since around 98-99 on KS, Fieldherpers and then here. I used to be A. Naha on KS.

Other KSers were:
Carl Brune
Jason Folt - used to post under Zagarus or something of the sort...

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 5:30 am 

I can't believe I forgot Jaffo!!!! I bet Fundad is bummed he's not around anymore, LOL. There were also two Chrises, which was why I switched over to Mr. Sonora. Not sure who they were, but I believe ChrisNM was one, I forget who the other was.

Cheers,

Don Cascabel

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 6:15 am 

Don't forget "filthy" phil. He was interesting.
Some of BGF's post helped me pass high school biology and chemistry back in the late 90s. Apparently the way for me to understand protein chains and chemical interactions is to explain it in terms of snake venom. Some of the post on K-snake about genetics helped too...I remember someone (Maybe BGF, maybe someone else) explaining Punnets squares. can't remember which ksnake forum that was on though. Too many of them.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 6:17 am 

Don Cascabel wrote:
I can't believe I forgot Jaffo!!!!...

I can't either, DC! I definitely miss Jaffo!

Not sure when I first logged on at "not allowed"... I suppose it might have been 1999, but 2000 seems more likely or maybe even 2001... I think I wrote about herp hunting in FL's Apalachicola National Forest, and included an aside about worm grunting there in Sopchoppy. Those were good times, all right! :)

But, what's the real point of the exercise? Seems to me like it's just another way - exactly as the whole LECH thing has always seemed to me - to try distinguish this group of people as "the cool kids" and that group of people as "the uncool kids." Likewise all that verbiage about who has to work harder for their herps, or finds more or "better" herps, etc. Almost all of us here left childhood behind a long time ago (some of us might even be inclined to say far too long ago, some bone-creaking mornings... :( ); isn't it about time we all finally left such childishness behind, as well? :oops: There are much better ways to elevate one's self-worth than by putting other people down - not to mention other people who share our uncommon interests...

Gerry

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 7:11 am 

Don Cascabel wrote:
This post is fukking great! Probably one of the most entertaining in a while...

a few things...

first, Mr. Justin M. - I have herped in the field with a good variety of herpers. From the US, Mexico and Europe mainly. I only have this comment: While the western US (S. Cal.) invented night driving, and it has become one of the most effective methods of sampling snakes (IMHO), I have to say that the people from Cali/Az are (For the most part) the most efficient and hardy in the field. In California (and many parts of the SW) you have to flip a lot of rocks, hike a long distance, AND road ride a long night to find ANYTHING as snakes are desperate for moisture and hard to find. The way I see it, the dryer an area, the harder the snakes, and the harder the herpers work. The best field herpers I have met are almost always from California or Arizona, and I doubt that is a coincidence. If only the Mexicans had more more money to blow...

As far as the topic goes, I have an interesting question... the good old days on the "not allowed" fieldherping forum came up... I was there starting August 98 as Chris G. and later as Mr. Sonora. Just curious who else was around. Here is an incomplete list of the members I remember:

Tim Burkhardt
Gary Nafis
Eimon
Marty Feldner
Jerry Feldner
Chnarles
RAK
Desertsnakeman
Rattlesnakeman
Eimon
Colin Smith
Brian Hubbs (AKA Manual Labor, Trapjaw, and others)
Brendan (came in a little later)
Another Chris I think ChrisNM
Joe Forks
pretty sure Jerimiah Easter and Wolverton were around
Shannon Brown and Aaron at least on the alterna shit
Rob Albach
Gus from S. Texas

I know there are others but I don't remember. Let's hear a roll call of those who where on these forums before 1999! I remember my first visit:

I was coming back from Arizona after I had recently received my driver's license with a cooler full of Amphibians and Snakes from my first "independent" visit to Arizona in my Jeep. On my way home (1998) I stopped by Live Cargo reptile store in La Mesa (San Diego) to show off my finds and buy some feeder mice. The guy working at my store congratulated my finds and suggested I join the "not allowed" Field Herping forum to share my experiences and learn. The next day I joined and I was hooked. I have met a lot of very interesting people on these forums since, and I hope I have contributed my fair share of knowledge... I certainly have contributed to the LECH stereotype... but after more than 12 years of serious field herping, I can truly say that the eastern coast of the US has inferior herps to the western coast and Mexico takes the cake. Sorry guys... but it's true.

Cheers,

Don Cascabel (Mr. Sonora or Chris G...... however you remember me!)

I started visiting it in 2000. How about, Richard Gassoway (AZ), Rich Gelieux (AZ sp?), Tom Brennan (AZ), Jeff "Jaffo" Miller (OR-AZ), Regal Ringneck (AZ), Fundad (CA), Mitch Mulks (CA), Ryan Hoyer (OR), Rick Staub (CA), Jeff Almond, (AZ) Coach (from NY), Kirk Setzer(UT), EJ (CA), Eitan (NJ?), Reptilist (AZ), Ratsnakehaven (Mich. then now AZ)

Last edited by klawnskale on June 27th, 2010, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 7:14 am 

Don Cascabel wrote:

Tim Burkhardt
Gary Nafis
Eimon
Marty Feldner
Jerry Feldner
Chnarles
RAK
Desertsnakeman
Rattlesnakeman
Eimon
Colin Smith
Brian Hubbs (AKA Manual Labor, Trapjaw, and others)
Brendan (came in a little later)
Another Chris I think ChrisNM
Joe Forks
pretty sure Jerimiah Easter and Wolverton were around
Shannon Brown and Aaron at least on the alterna shit
Rob Albach
Gus from S. Texas

Cheers,

I've been on kingsnake circa 96/97 when I cruised the gecko forum. That was my freshman year of high school, matter of fact I even found it on lunch break while my best friend was flipping through Ditmar's book of dead photographed herps. I cruised the Field Herping Forum too, but didn't have the cash for a decent film or digital camera so I didn't post. I started posting in 99 after my mom got my a Kodak DC215 1.? crappy point-n-shoot for Christmas 98.

FWIW I'm a Mis-PLECH....mis-placed lech. I spent the first 10 years of my life stuck in Myrtle Beach, SC and even further restricted to the confines of herping Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. The vast majority of that herping started when I was 7 and ended when I was 11 in ;92 after my dad got orders to Dyess AFB (Abilene, TX) when they closed MBAFB after Desert Storm. My first and only (until 2009) LECH snake species was none other than JJ's favorite genus - Nerodia! My herping teeth broke gum-line out there. Abilene I started to lose the herping baby teeth, particularly when a 5-6 ft TX rat decided it wanted to eat my face while I was 5 miles from home on my bike with no pillowcase. I officially cut my teeth for herping in NM though, but that's way too much boring typing.

I met Gruenwald in 2002 just outside the Geronimo Surrender Monument on Highway 80, and as much as he hates gummy lizards, I seem to recall him excited about a tiger salamander he found that night. HA! :shock:

Here's some fun NM stuff to make you LECHes and MX herpers stupid crazy

To date my only live alterna...you TX alterna freaks can suck it! :mrgreen:

My only DOR alterna

A non-LECH Nerodia

Going with JJ, it's all about the leps

And lately it's been about the Sissies

Hey Sonora, they come AOR as hatchlings!

My 2nd LECH snake

Sorry LECHes, but I've seen the light. I miss catching Nerodia, anoles, and 5-line skinks, but I'll take busting my balls, driving 1500+ miles to only see a DOR suboc on Hwy 377, and getting rained out in the Peloncillos and Chiricahuas over seeing 40 of the same snake species in 1 day. I'll still get excited over it though. After all, they're herps! :beer:

My only Storeria comes from near Galveston, does that consitute as a LECH?

Last edited by ChrisNM on June 27th, 2010, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 7:19 am 

Don Cascabel wrote:
I can't believe I forgot Jaffo!!!! I bet Fundad is bummed he's not around anymore, LOL. There were also two Chrises, which was why I switched over to Mr. Sonora. Not sure who they were, but I believe ChrisNM was one, I forget who the other was.

Cheers,

Don Cascabel

Pollyanna! I still don't know who it is, but by the writing style I'd say it's Hubbs when he's dressed in drag. Then again, Hubbs in drag is also Mrs. Grammar.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 7:23 am 

I don't remember when I registered at KS but it was probably 2001. But I didn't post there often for years. In 2006 I went to register and they said my handle was taken, so I tried logging in with that handle and tried various junk passwords of mine and one worked, so I had registered at one point.

Ayway, I went to the field herp forum there and the place was largely dead. Aliceinwl posted there, as a few others, but it really wasn't very active.

Now I know why - all the cool people had a mass exodus before then.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 7:34 am 

ChrisNM wrote:
Pollyanna!...

Huh, I hadn't realized until now that she hasn't posted since Scott's former host tried to delete us earlier this month; did she not make it through the transition? She wasn't posting very much for a while before then, though, so maybe she's just taking a break. In any event, Chris, she's real.

I wonder who else is still missing from only a month ago?...

Gerry

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 9:22 am 

....there are many people from the midwest who didn't make that list like me, Brandon, Chambo, John Fraser and a few others who posted back in the kingsnake alterna days.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 10:08 am 

Yeah,
I was on KS back in the old days as "Rich G"., like Eimon, I started when it was only the "Alterna Page"

Couple others that have been left off are Buzz, Scott from KS (went by B.I.T. for "Buzz in training"), how about Ed Teirney, the commercial rattlesanke collector from Las Vegas who always said "Change the Laws and I will comply", lol. He got busted for sending rattlesankes in the U.S. mail, lol.

Jerry Salmon popped in every once in a while and "Stormin' Norman" on rare occasion when the discussion was alterna. And Jaffos buddy from Oregon "Brett". Dang, there's some other regulars where I can think of the personalities and various posts, but I can't remember their names.

Rich

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 11:30 am 

I was posting on the "not allowed" forums in 96/97 when I was 13 or 14. I was on dial up! I was real into keeping turtles back then, so I mostly posted on turtle-related forums. I didn't really look at the Field Collecting forum with regularity until probably 2001 or 2002.

I remember there being a guy who posted as Critterman who openly commercial collected and would post pictures of people holding tons of FL kings and yellow rats.

There were some pretty good AOL discussion groups for herps back then. They were a lot better than "not allowed" was at the time, but only available to AOL subscribers, so when my free 30 days ran out, that was it.

I used to go to a website called The Herp Mall, which categorized and linked to reptile dealers pages. I think it was http://www.herp.com .

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 11:42 am 

Location: A Sovereign TX Enclave in the Greater Kansas City Area
Jeremiah_Easter wrote:
I was there on Kingsnake in 1999, Wolverton was not (came online later like 2001?).

...Oh and Chris, Have you been drinking ;)

Which Chris? :beer:

. . .

Holy smokes, Don Cascabel, I didn't realize you were Mr. Sonora till your post.

I remember trying to meet up with you in SoCal in '03 or '04, but you were confused on which week I was going to be there and you were in AZ that weekend, I think.

Then you came out to West TX and I met you on a cut and showed you a good-size mean ol' TX rat snake...you weren't impressed and asked if I'd found any corals. :D

. . .

The OLD kingsnake archives available for searching at forum."not allowed" (the new forums."not allowed"'s archives begin in 2003). The earliest post I could find with my name in it was mid-2002 (a thread about Gerry Binczik feeding strawberries to snakes to improve their color :lol: ).

I guess I was a latecomer to the online hoo-hah since I'd been (poorly) hunting the Trans-Pecos and other locales off and on since 1996 (when I'd had a driver's license for 6 years, to put it into perspective for the Cascabels et al). :lol:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 11:53 am 

chris_mcmartin wrote:
The OLD kingsnake archives available for searching at forum."not allowed" (the new forums."not allowed"'s archives begin in 2003). The earliest post I could find with my name in it was mid-2002 (a thread about Gerry Binczik feeding strawberries to snakes to improve their color :lol: ).

And so it began! :lol:

:beer:

Gerry

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 1:08 pm 

chris_mcmartin wrote:

Thanks for the idea. I just checked the old archives and found a few naive old posts of my own from back in 97 & 98. I then dropped off the radar and out of herping altogether until 2006. Got back into determined field herping in 2007, largely as a result of my state lawmakers trying to outlaw road cruising.

I enjoyed reading some of my old posts. Especially this one: http://forum.kingsnake.com/stories/messages/3.html

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 1:49 pm 

Location: A Sovereign TX Enclave in the Greater Kansas City Area
Daryl Eby wrote:
Got back into determined field herping in 2007, largely as a result of my state lawmakers trying to outlaw road cruising.

YOUR state lawmakers? ;)

Hey, speaking of staying under the radar, I emailed you a month ago re: my West TX extravaganza, but you never replied. Sort of a moot point, because after refining my itinerary I had not the time to make it THAT far west for any length of time.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 1:53 pm 

chris_mcmartin wrote:
Daryl Eby wrote:
Got back into determined field herping in 2007, largely as a result of my state lawmakers trying to outlaw road cruising.

YOUR state lawmakers? ;)

Hey, speaking of staying under the radar, I emailed you a month ago re: my West TX extravaganza, but you never replied. Sort of a moot point, because after refining my itinerary I had not the time to make it THAT far west for any length of time.

Aw crap! I was mostly off line for several weeks and had a couple of email crashes. Sorry I missed your email and the chance to meet up. I haven't done much herping this year and could have used the excuse.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 2:05 pm 

I just searched the old archives, how embarrassing :oops: Is it too late to apologize to Jaffo? lol.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 2:18 pm 

I am getting a kick out of this blast from the past. Jaffo was the first name that popped into my mind as well after reading Chris's list. Funny there is a recent post somewhere on here with some pics of him.

Anyway I did some LECH herping last night, and in an hour found 4 S. Copperheads, 1 Dback Water, 1 Tx Trash (Sorry Rat), 1 priarie king (actually a little cool), and 1 Tx Brown. All under a full moon as well. Now I am back home and happy to go out and get skunked under the desert sky, rather than rack up my count with S. copperheads.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 3:32 pm 

Honestly, this post has been one of the more exciting on FHF (for me) in a while. There is something to be said for Nostalgia. I just looked through some of my old Ksnake posts... DAMN! Here are a few fun ones:

My first field report:
http://forum."not allowed"/field/messages/5979.html

My first REAL Mexico trip (Baja doesn't count):
http://forum."not allowed"/field/messages/54157.html

The origin of Mr. Sonora and read Hubb's response for a little insight to the origin of LECH:
http://forum."not allowed"/field/messages/13400.html

So I guess I started posting in 99, and there were almost 6,000 posts before me. Arizona started it all for me... field herping that state was great before I realized what true paradise lay beneath it.

Don Cascabel

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 3:33 pm 

Actually, copperheads are one of my favorite snakes to find. It's quite a blessing that they are common. Here in MO they range from ugly brown colors to orangey or pinkish. My favorites are the very light colored specimens. I like the rat snake too, I think they are one of the most interesting species we have. I've been trying to catch one on film that regularly raids bird nests at a camp near me. A relative convinced the camp to leave him be, and I am hoping to get his raiding activities on film.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 3:40 pm 

LOL I just read a post of mine from 1999 bitching about having spent over $500 dollars in S. Az. without having found a Gyalopion canum... HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!!

Don Cascabel

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 3:52 pm 

Looks like Hubbs invented the concept, and Eimon coined the acronym:

http://forum."not allowed"/field/messages/7926.html

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 4:37 pm 

Don Cascabel wrote:
This post is fukking great! Probably one of the most entertaining in a while...
... but after more than 12 years of serious field herping, I can truly say that the eastern coast of the US has inferior herps to the western coast and Mexico takes the cake. Sorry guys... but it's true.

Cheers,

:lol: Maybe in your mind senor cascebel but not in mine amigo..

Phil

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 4:59 pm 

that hognose is psychedelic. Intense.
And that mud snake *drool* I gotta spend some time in the east and find me one

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 6:14 pm 

justinm wrote:
Jeremiah_Easter wrote:
Quote:
We have a bunch of pics in the NE Chapter of the variations of redback salamanders if you need a new poster idea.

Don't have time for that, I'm busy working on a 17 poster series showing the various species of Batrachoseps, I plan on marketing it to LECH's.

Wolverton will love that, make sure he knows.

No. I asked for a scratch and sniff garter snake poster years ago. Nothing, nada.

I have a a breeding group of every type of Batrachoseps, I think they'll be hot on the market as CBs. The only problem is that I can't tell the difference between any of them.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 6:55 pm 

M Wolverton wrote:
I have a a breeding group of every type of Batrachoseps, I think they'll be hot on the market as CBs.

Most definitely. It's difficult to get Pacific Ringnecks to eat anything else.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 6:57 pm 

Actually, I want some CBB ringnecks pretty bad :lol: I love those little snakes that no one works with...long nosed, ring-neck, patch nose...just so freaking neat and not everyone has them

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 6:57 pm 

Phil Peak wrote:

And thats exactly what its about, what it is in your mind. I grew up here in Southern California and I would rather herp here than any other place on earth. I think our herps are ten times cooler than anything anywhere, but thats me. I would never throw that in anyones face, its just an opinion. I don't think I'm alone either. I think a lot of herpers are more than happy with what they have at home, especially in the southern states. It doesn't matter who has more, its all about what you love to find and search for. ;)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 8:28 pm 

Ross Padilla wrote:
Phil Peak wrote:

And thats exactly what its about, what it is in your mind. I grew up here in Southern California and I would rather herp here than any other place on earth. I think our herps are ten times cooler than anything anywhere, but thats me. I would never throw that in anyones face, its just an opinion. I don't think I'm alone either. I think a lot of herpers are more than happy with what they have at home, especially in the southern states. It doesn't matter who has more, its all about what you love to find and search for. ;)

Lets face it, we all have it good! But there ain't no swamps in the west and you folks are missing out on one of the greatest herping experiences imaginable. Each to his own I reckon but I wouldn't trade mine for yours no way no how. There are some cool herps in the west but nothing like we have here in the south. 8-)

Phil

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 8:43 pm 

Phil, I think you took it the wrong way. I was agreeing with you. ;) And if I'm taking your statement the wrong way, I'm sorry. :beer:

P.S. When I said "your mind" I meant all of our minds.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 9:00 pm 

No, I'm just having fun too Ross. Threads like this are corny and by now we should all appreciate the incredible diversity that exists fron sea to shining sea. You really should come out east and go swamp walking with me though. :lol:

Phil

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 9:11 pm 

Swamps...hmmm. Bugs that can carry me off, sinkholes that'll swallow me and leeches *shudder*
Yuck. I love the east but that's one thing I can't stand...wading through water coming out with bloodsucking inverts all over.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 9:13 pm 

Swamps scare me, ever see the swamp thing? :lol: Lets lift some tin. :thumb:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 12:26 am 

Quote:

Posts: 18 Honestly, this post has been one of the more exciting on FHF (for me) in a while. There is something to be said for Nostalgia. I just looked through some of my old Ksnake posts... DAMN! Here are a few fun ones:

My first field report:
http://forum."not allowed"/field/messages/5979.html

My first REAL Mexico trip (Baja doesn't count):
http://forum."not allowed"/field/messages/54157.html

The origin of Mr. Sonora and read Hubb's response for a little insight to the origin of LECH:
http://forum."not allowed"/field/messages/13400.html

So I guess I started posting in 99, and there were almost 6,000 posts before me. Arizona started it all for me... field herping that state was great before I realized what true paradise lay beneath it.

Don Cascabel

Ahh, the good ole das, lol. Good memories.

Saw another name I had forgot about, GQ.....Gilbert Quitana. He left Albuquerque for San Diego and pretty much vanished. Nice guy, anybody hear from him?

Rich

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 2:15 am 

Hey Rich, as a matter of fact, I do! GQ........that was so funny because it was actually his initials, not the "GQ" of the slang back then :lol: I see him and his family once or twice a year. They usually come to the Herp Society holiday party, and he'll come to a show now and then. You are absolutely right. He (and them) are still way too nice. Almost not right :) I'll mention your kind words next time.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 6:43 am 

Ross Padilla wrote:
Swamps scare me, ever see the swamp thing? :lol: Lets lift some tin. :thumb:

Okay, we can do that too. :thumb: What makes for a really perfect day is flipping tin in the morning and wading through a swamp in the evening. I like the feeling of mud squishing between my toes. Makes me feel alive. :)

Paul White wrote:
Swamps...hmmm. Bugs that can carry me off, sinkholes that'll swallow me and leeches *shudder*
Yuck. I love the east but that's one thing I can't stand...wading through water coming out with bloodsucking inverts all over.

The best thing to do is to just jump on in and deal with the leaches afterwards. I have found that burning them with a lit cigarette makes them drop right off. :)

Phil

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 7:21 am 

I definately would take the swamps and trees to the sand and cacti any day. :thumb:

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 8:37 am 

Hey Eimon,

Glad to hear he is still around and into herps. Yeah, tell him to shoot me an e-mail sometime, especially if he is passing thru. Still the same ole addy, but if he needs it I will PM it to you.Thanks!

Rich

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 9:14 am 

Have you ever stepped on a toe-biter? aka giant water bug...I don't want a repeat.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 11:11 am 

Wow this thread is actually worth the read. As soon as I saw LECH in the title I just passed it by but I saw your comment on it Don C so I started reading.

What a blast from the past. I was a bit of a late comer to the boards around the end of 99 or somewhere in 2000 I think. I had "0" field experience but I certainly wasn't afraid to ask where to begin. Probably made a few "enemies" in doing so. LOL.... oh well!!

This thread still sticks out in my head as being some of the best head to head combat on the boards. These two were like a couple of 5ft atrox thrashing it out all the time. http://forum."not allowed"/field/messages/42431.html

We had a handful of really annoying chics on the boards back then too. Seems one of them was from NY or some where back east but she made some trips out to CA for boas. I think Fundad actually took her out at one point. What was her name again? Jerry knew her well.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 11:47 am 

Hey wait a minute Brendan. I'm a LECH and you met me out in AZ the one time. :P

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 12:23 pm 

Dr Spec.....now that's what we're talking about :thumb:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 12:41 pm 

Quote:
We had a handful of really annoying chics on the boards back then too. Seems one of them was from NY or some where back east but she made some trips out to CA for boas. I think Fundad actually took her out at one point. What was her name again? Jerry knew her well.

You are confusing them. One was Esther, one was Hannah. Jerry knew them both. Esther was the one from N.Y. She liked lizards. Hannah was in CA. and did a boa hunt with Fundad. You and I met Hannah at the Rattlesnake Symposium in Loma Linda in 2005

Rich

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 1:34 pm 

Correcamino wrote:
Quote:

You are confusing them. One was Esther, one was Hannah. Jerry knew them both. Esther was the one from N.Y. She liked lizards. Hannah was in CA. and did a boa hunt with Fundad. You and I met Hannah at the Rattlesnake Symposium in Loma Linda in 2005

Rich

I knew you'd remember Rich! Those were the two I was talking about. Then we had MsTT the venom expert. Got tagged while she was out here collecting venom samples. LOL

Brick I always tune in when the LECH's make a westward trek. I grew up as a LECH and spent all but the last 10 years living in the east. I have to admit though, the only time I read the threads from back east are when someone like DBD, Dave P or the likes posts on timber dens. I like a handful of others have a serious herp bias towards crotes. I wouldn't call it elitist either, just personal preference. And I respect anyone who comes out to AZ and finds specks on their own the first try!! Nice work dude.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 6:34 pm 

Haha... So you remember. Yeah, that's what I call luck because I had absolutely no clue what I was doing.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2010, 6:20 am 

justinm wrote:
I would like to make a word for the lame posts that I see of herps on asphalt or better yet smashed, quished or otherwise dead on the road.

I would recommend Lazy Grubbing Backroads Tourist, but the acronym might sound a bit . . . intolerant.

You could always use BFH-- Brake Foot Herper.

Of course you have my permission to use either on me as A) I am not averse to carefully posing herps on blacktop, and B) I am quite secure in my batting stance.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: June 30th, 2010, 11:52 am 

David O wrote:
justinm wrote:
I would like to make a word for the lame posts that I see of herps on asphalt or better yet smashed, quished or otherwise dead on the road.

I would recommend Lazy Grubbing Backroads Tourist, but the acronym might sound a bit . . . intolerant.

You could always use BFH-- Brake Foot Herper.

Of course you have my permission to use either on me as A) I am not averse to carefully posing herps on blacktop, and B) I am quite secure in my batting stance.

Maybe I could coin the term CRAP. Crummy Roadcruising Animal People, I know it's a stretch...

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next