Vet Bills

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kettlerr

Vet Bills

Post by Kettlerr »

What are you guys generally paying when you take a snake to a vet?
btskanks

Re: Vet Bills

Post by btskanks »

It depends on so much, least, for a virdis with an infection-$75 to 4x that for a sic retic >12 ft. many vets add an "exotics fee" for all herps!Ron
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Depends on the vet and the malady. Out here in AZ I take mine to Dr Kevin Wright and Dr Jay Johnson at Arizona Exotic Animal and he charges $54 for a visit, plus any extras (drugs, x-rays ,etc). They makes house calls too if your herp is too big to transport!

Dave Weber
Kettlerr

Post by Kettlerr »

I just asked because my grandfather said when he collected snakes as a boy the vets didn't charge anything to treat a snake because they were really happy to see something unusual, I guess those days are gone lol
Gyri

Post by Gyri »

Some vets charge different rates for "wildlife" than for pets. When I bring one of my captives to the vet the visit is $60 plus whatever meds and treatment is required. My vet charges half the visit fee for wild animals, such as the endangered snake I brought in that had been badly injured in bird netting around a fruit tree.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

60ish sounds right to me, for a basic visit, but I don't take many in. There's not any great vets around one, one decent one I've found...although she couldn't save 2 of the animals I took in (an old savanna and a kingsnake with lesions in the stomach).
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

When I live out in Utah I ended up paying around a total of 50 bucks for the visit and the meds for my Ball Python. After that first visit any call about a respiratory infection ended up with me getting the snake weighed, picking up the meds and doing the injections myself for around 30-35 bucks. Haven't had to visit a vet here, but up in NY for a retained eyecap (when I just got into snakes) cost me around $75! Of course there were no exotic vets in my area, so they charged as high as they wanted.
Steve Barten

Post by Steve Barten »

joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

You have Dr. Wright at your disposal? Consider yourself blessed, he is a wonderfull doctor. You could say I'm a fan - he's often on the VIN and has an outdated but still leading Amphibian Medicine text.

Ian
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Post subject: Re: Vet Bills

You have Dr. Wright at your disposal? Consider yourself blessed, he is a wonderfull doctor. You could say I'm a fan - he's often on the VIN and has an outdated but still leading Amphibian Medicine text.

Ian

Ian

I agree. We are blessed here in the Phoenix area. Dr Wright is a great doctor as well as a great person.

Dave