Q on handling, post shed...

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tim Borski

Q on handling, post shed...

Post by Tim Borski »

I have a Pine snake I just watched shed. (they make quicker work of it than I'd have thought)
Anyone have an opinion on how long I should wait before handling her?
Just curious and thanks,
Tim
Paul White

Re: Q on handling, post shed...

Post by Paul White »

I've handled the day of a shed plenty of times with plenty of snakes...I've never actually been there to watch a whole shed though (something always comes up, or it happens when asleep or at work or...)
monklet

Post by monklet »

Hey Tim, never even thought NOT to handle immediately post shed. In fact, I've often assisted snakes with fragmented sheds - very very gently with water of course. Has anyone ever heard of issues in handling post shed?
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

As far as I know you could let the snake shed its skin right in your hands. Where did you get the impression you couldn't handle them post shed?
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I have never heard that snakes shouldn't be handled after shedding either, I have handled snakes I own before, during, and after shedding with no ill effects.
As far as I know you could let the snake shed its skin right in your hands.
Yep I have done that once and no problems of any sort.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Thanks guys. (I have no idea where I got that from.) Sounded silly now when I went back and reread my Q. for some reason, I assumed they'd need time for the new one to dry? harden? toughen up?...oh forget it, I'm digging myself deeper... :lol:

Thanks again
Tim
monklet

Post by monklet »

Tim Borski wrote:Thanks guys. (I have no idea where I got that from.) Sounded silly now when I went back and reread my Q. for some reason, I assumed they'd need time for the new one to dry? harden? toughen up?...oh forget it, I'm digging myself deeper... :lol:

Thanks again
Tim
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...I know the feeling :)
quasimoto

Post by quasimoto »

I just found my 7' red tail boa shedding a few days ago, and it was down at her vent and sorta stuck. . . .gently pulled her out of the cage and helped her roll it off nice and easy, and presto! fully removed shed. I've handled snakes during/directly after shedding a few times, like others have stated, with no issues that i have noticed. It's not a bad idea to wash your hands before and after handling, but that applies regardless of if the snake is shedding. . .

Personally, I like how much more slick a snake feel right after it sheds. . .
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

hey, if we were talking inverts you'd be dead right :) scorps and spiders need time after molting...although they're even less handling type pets than snakes are

about 6 of mine are in shed...3 kings, one retic, 2 balls...my rat may be in that part of the shed cycle right before the eyes cloud over (he looks a little white)
DMong

Post by DMong »

Like the others have already mentioned, there are absolutely zero issues with handling any snake post shed. The ONLY possible issues I have ever noticed with any snakes are always PRE-shed in nature. When a snake just sheds, it is "brand-new" and totally good to go!. I have handled countless thousands of snakes newly post-shed over the decades. I can even "MAKE" them shed if the time is right, and the skin is ready to be sloughed, but they haven't quite gotten active and done it themselves yet. :D

~Doug