uromastyx geyri

Captive care and husbandry discussions.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Dane_Zoo

uromastyx geyri

Post by Dane_Zoo »

got this guy from my boss, he was sad wen I got him, but now that he has the right lights, hides, a new cage, and a larger array of food to eat he has perked up a bit

I was also wondering if anyone on here had a bit of experience with these as to wat the best substrate for them is? I've read some stuff about sand and calci sand that has me hesitant on that so Ive stuck to newspaper for now.

Also wat is a nice infrared temp. gun that isn't to expensive?

any help would be great

monklet

Re: uromastyx geyri

Post by monklet »

Bitchen lizard! ...but don't know much about lizard husbandry in general, let alone Uromastyx. Best of luck with him!

Berkeley Boone

Re: uromastyx geyri

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Very cool, Dane. Glad you got him into a better set-up.

I have had no problems with sand as the substrate in Uromastyx enclosures. They are pretty good at seperating the food from the substrate if you are worried about that kind of thing. I think many people (in the books and in the other reptile forums) are too much into babying their animals a lot....but I'm not getting on that soapbox right now.

You can also mix in some gravel, clay or top/potting soil for a different soil type too. But I do agree- I am not a fan of calci-sand. THAT causes impactions, in my opinion.

--Berkeley