MA Herper will be in New Mexico July 18-24

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MassHorridus

MA Herper will be in New Mexico July 18-24

Post by MassHorridus »

Greetings Rocky Mountain Chapter!

I work for Sam Adams and have been placed on assignment with our Albuquerque wholesaler from July 19 to the 22nd. I have elected to stay for the weekend to do some herping. I am reaching out to you all for some advice...

I will arrive on Monday the 18th, so a night cruise is not out of the question... Tue to Fri I will be working and partying (tough life) with others from my company so I doubt I will be able to flip. Friday night, Saturday and Sunday morning are mine and I'd love to get some once in a lifetime shots of some NM herps. Keep in mind your junk herps will be my lifers.

Do I rent a car and just explore? And if so, where should I go and what should I know? I will take any advice into consideration. I would like to have a story to tell (with pics to show) when I get home. I will be visiting the Crotalus Museum at some point but I'd love to see one in the wild.

To sweeten the pot... I would like to make an offer...

FREE BEER!!!! (21+) to anybody who can show me around or get me into some action. So If you are planning on going out any of those nights anyway, why not add me to the group and fill your fridge with some Sam?

Yeah, its a bribe. I can live with that. Any takers? Thoughts?

[email protected]

Justin
TimCO

Re: MA Herper will be in New Mexico July 18-24

Post by TimCO »

It could be a tough time unless the rains hit. That said, you may be able to whip up some fun stuff. Good luck.
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

I was thinking west of town or east to medow lake. Am I even thinking straight? Is there a drought? Where shopuld I wanser? petreglyph park? Otherwise I'm just gonna drive aimlessly.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

unfortunately most places to herp are either on fire or closed, if you're interested we could use some help on some surveys we do on Saturday mornings. send me a pm and we can meet up. Beer not necessary :beer: I don't drink, but thanks for the offer.

Josh
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

I'm excited about the survey! Hows that rain?
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Do you have the book "Amphibians and Reptiles of New Mexico"? Its a great way to find good roads to cruise.

Within an hour or so of Albuquerque there is an incredible diversity of herps.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

herpseeker1978 wrote:unfortunately most places to herp are either on fire or closed, if you're interested we could use some help on some surveys we do on Saturday mornings. send me a pm and we can meet up. Beer not necessary :beer: I don't drink, but thanks for the offer.

Josh
I'll take Josh's beer! By the time you come the monsoons should have started. Also, you should contact Chris Anderson here on the forum. He's from Boston and works for a liquor distribution company here in Albuquerque. Maybe the four of us could plan a night of road cruising and I'm available for hiking during the day (one of the perks of being a teacher).

Bill
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

I would be so grateful as I am only in town for a short time! Beers on me following any excursion!

I will try to contact him... Is that his handle on here too?

JB
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

a couple of weather-related sites....

Just click on NM on the map...

http://water.weather.gov/precip/

State Drought Monitor...

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_state.htm?NM,W

I'd be down for possibly cruising that monday night (assuming I have that Tuesdy off) or Saturday night. As Bill hinted, hopefully our monsoons will have started by then as right now we are beyond bone dry. Water restrictions throughout the state are hitting to the point where some cities/municipalities are threatening to completely shut off your water, versus just merely finning you, if found violating the restrictions. According to our great meteorologist, supposedly (crazily shaking arms in the air) if we hit 3 days straight of 47° Dew Point then the monsoons are officially here.

I believe Chris Anderson goes, or went by before the crash as canderson.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

bgorum wrote:
herpseeker1978 wrote:unfortunately most places to herp are either on fire or closed, if you're interested we could use some help on some surveys we do on Saturday mornings. send me a pm and we can meet up. Beer not necessary :beer: I don't drink, but thanks for the offer.

Josh
I'll take Josh's beer! By the time you come the monsoons should have started. Also, you should contact Chris Anderson here on the forum. He's from Boston and works for a liquor distribution company here in Albuquerque. Maybe the four of us could plan a night of road cruising and I'm available for hiking during the day (one of the perks of being a teacher).

Bill
Subocs and trimorphodon on that Saturday?

Josh
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

Thanks so much guys. I have heard the sign guy at the wholesaler I will be working out of was recently reprimanded for keeping Crotes in a bin behind the yard! I have bad timing. I'd much rather get out with you all. Monday will work, but Friday and Saturday are my target nights/mornings. I may be surveying saturday morning out there too! This is very exciting for me.

JB
canderson

Post by canderson »

Hey Justin,

This is my handle! I finally got my password reset as I haven't logged in since the winter. I think I've written with you before. I'm the one who's from Canton, Mass. Sam is wicked good by the way so I'll also happily take you up on the free beer, although I can't put them down quite as fast as Bill Gorum. :D

I'll be sure to keep my weekend open so we can do some cruising. The rains are starting to work in so hopefully more areas will open up; although I can't see the reason why when you usually just roadhunt anyway. All the roads are open. I took a drive two weekends ago and found a Gophersnake!

Look forward to meeting up and maybe dropping some Ah's and adding other's whaya they ahn't! :beer:

Cheers,
Chris
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

Excellent. I get in monday afternoon and I'm free that night (but I wont have beer yet). Then I work til 8 ish all week. Friday looks free and I'm helping a herp survey Saturday morning and the weeknd is free. I will PM my cell. Do you know my cousins... the 3 Dobbyn boys? Canton Bulldogs all the way.
JB
canderson

Post by canderson »

Nope, I haven't heard that name. How old are they? I graduated from Canton High in 1991, so it's been a long while. Though I go back every other year or so. I'll PM you my cell # also. I'll be free Monday night also, we could always pay for beer, it won't kill us, right? I'm afraid my accent is going to come right back with a vengeance... :thumb:
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

Going to the Topes game Thursday and NO WORK FRIDAY... Rattlesnake museum here I come!
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

If you want to do some herping Monday afternoon/evening let me know. What would you like to see while you are here?

Bill
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

Me and Chris A. are likely headed out Monday. Lets all try to go together? I'm styaying at the Courtyard Marriot on Journal Center. I will be all checked in by 3pm with the day off. I am game for whatever. ANYTHING would set me off. Crotes will be TOP on the list, but anything would be a lifer for me. I've always wanted to see a Lyre, trans pecos rat, any lizards... Its just about getting out there for me.

Justin

Thanks in advance guys!
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Pics!
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Let me know what you guys decide. If you or Chris don't have any places in mind already I can suggest some. Next weekend looks good for subocs/Trimorphs. There is supposed to be moisture moving in and the moon won't be rising until around midnight by then.

Bill
canderson

Post by canderson »

So, yeah I think we're all still planning to meet up this afternoon. I should be off at by 5pm. Any one else plan on joining? Let me know and I'll pm you my cell #. Wish I were a teacher with summers off too!
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

where are you guys going?

Josh
canderson

Post by canderson »

Hi Josh,

I PM'd you my phone number. I am planning on heading south, but I won't be able to stay up too late, since I've got to work tomorrow. :sleep:
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

Thanks guys for the best trip of my life. NM beats Costa Rica in my book~!
Cheers!
jb
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Sounds like it was a winner. Congrats.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Josh