"Venomous" Bites from Non-Venomous Snakes, Critical Analysis

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

craigb

Post by craigb »

Robert Hansen

Re: "Venomous" Bites from Non-Venomous Snakes, Critical Anal

Post by Robert Hansen »

craigb wrote:It looks like a great book. But it is something like $243 U.S. Dollars to purchase though. Out of my price range right now....

craig
US $73.08 from Amazon. FHF just saved you $170!

Cheers,

BH
craigb

Post by craigb »

justinm

Post by justinm »

You didn't think of going to Amazon.com for a herp book? Where do you get your herp books? I have a modest collection, most of them came from online sites, majority of them Amazon.com.

Here's a pic of what I don't have boxed up, or on the porcelain throne.

craigb

Post by craigb »

Robert Hansen

Post by Robert Hansen »

Just a heads up to anyone contemplating a purchase of this book. Although this is a nice hard-bound book with a color cover, ALL of the internal figures/photos, etc. are in black & white, rendering them much less effective and interesting. The book was designed to be published electronically, and the e-version should be available soon and will be in full color...but it will cost more! The lead author related the following in an email: "If you know anyone interested in the book, I would suggest that they obtain the e-book (this was intended as a lead e-book series as the goal is to maintain a periodically updated database of critically analyzed bites rather than a limited edition print version) as the e-book has color photos and a fine search function, while the print is in black and white and lacks an index (due to the e-book lead production). Also, a few of the osteology photos were of low resolution, but were included due to their relative rarity, and these are clearer in the e-book (only available from elsevierdirect.com and a bit more expensive at $100.00)."

Word to the wise...don't waste your funds on the physical book version.

Cheers,

BH
craigb

Post by craigb »

Talusman

Post by Talusman »

[quote="justinm"]You didn't think of going to Amazon.com for a herp book? Where do you get your herp books? I have a modest collection, most of them came from online sites, majority of them Amazon.com.

I purchase my books from Eric at Zoo Books Sales. He has a great selection of new and used books. If Eric doesn't have what you are looking for, he will let you know where to find it.

http://www.zoobooksales.com/
justinm

Post by justinm »

Talusman,

I've bookmarked it, thank you for the link.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

http://www.herplitsales.com is another great place for herp books. I have nothing against Amazon, and buy plenty of stuff from them, but I always prefer to buy from specialty booksellers when possible to do my small part in staving off the future world where Amazon is the only vendor left standing.

John
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

I recently acquired this book and it is an excellent and currently unparalleled repository of case studies for "colubrid" bites. It also synthesises much of the current toxinological and morphological knowledge of "colubrid" venom systems.

As you might guess from the last phrase of the above sentence, I don't agree with all the terminology used in the book, but that doesn't mean it isn't a very valuable resource that fills a gap that desperately needed filling.

I bought the kindle version, which I wouldn't recommend because some of the tables and figures are impossible to view in full (argh!). I will probably buy the e-book from Elsevier in the future.
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

For anyone not familiar with it, "addall used books search" (used.addall.com) is an excellent place to find books, herp or otherwise.

JimM
rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

Robert Hansen wrote:Just a heads up to anyone contemplating a purchase of this book. Although this is a nice hard-bound book with a color cover, ALL of the internal figures/photos, etc. are in black & white
I just want to clarify that your comments pertain to the colubrid-bite-book that prompted this thread, and NOT to the rosy boa book referenced in the post preceding yours. Virtually all the pix in the Rosy Boa book ("Rosy Boas: Patterns In Time", by Limburg, Montoya and Merker) are in full color. It's an extraordinary book imho. I thought the juxtaposition of the two posts might confuse some people.
Robert Hansen

Post by Robert Hansen »

rtdunham wrote:
Robert Hansen wrote:Just a heads up to anyone contemplating a purchase of this book. Although this is a nice hard-bound book with a color cover, ALL of the internal figures/photos, etc. are in black & white
I just want to clarify that your comments pertain to the colubrid-bite-book that prompted this thread, and NOT to the rosy boa book referenced in the post preceding yours. Virtually all the pix in the Rosy Boa book ("Rosy Boas: Patterns In Time", by Limburg, Montoya and Merker) are in full color. It's an extraordinary book imho. I thought the juxtaposition of the two posts might confuse some people.
Correct...my comments were in ref to the colubrid bite book. The Rosy Boas book is very nicely done, btw, as I've got my signed copy from the three amigos.

Cheers,

Bob
SAW

Post by SAW »

The attached link below includes access to several papers that are related to discussion of our book, "'Venomous Bites From Non-Venomous Snakes: A Critical Analysis of Risk and Management of "Colubrid" Snake Bites". This includes a recent paper by Fry et al. that criticises our use of classic terminology and defining criteria for "venoms", as well as our replies to those criticisms, some of which I note earlier in this string. I understand that a link to the paper by Fry et al. was posted some weeks ago elsewhere in this forum, thus it is also important that both sides of the discussion be available to interested readers. Although I am not posting this here to debate the topic as most of both sides of the discussion are included in the posted papers, readers of our book and some forum visitors may find the discussion interesting. However, I will add that we are most definitely not "venom deniers" as I have been told that we have been called by some; rather, we fully expect the definition of "venom" and "venomous" to be modified, but advocate that this be patiently done by interdisciplinary consensus. There has been confusion in the literature and inconsistent use of these terms for years, but, in our opinion, formal change should involve the aforementioned broad-based process and not due to views solely based on a given single hypothesis.

http://www.toxinology.com/fusebox.cfm?s ... nology.htm
gbin

Post by gbin »

I haven't bought a new or used book without looking for the best available price via a price-comparing search engine in years now. I've used a number of these search engines (as I've occasionally shopped for rather rare or at least very limited-distribution books), and my favorite overall is: http://www.bookfinder.com/

And yes, sometimes a much better deal turns up elsewhere, but Amazon does generally come up cheapest. ;)

Gerry