Fall Snake Road Trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

bitis2

Fall Snake Road Trip

Post by bitis2 »

I am starting to plan a fall trip down to snake road. This will be my first trip there and I am looking for some insight. Would like to pick the brains of those who have been there on such things as best dates, other good herping sights, etc. I am looking forward to the trip and the chance to photograph some herps. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Mike Pingleton

Re: Fall Snake Road Trip

Post by Mike Pingleton »

October is your best month down on SR. You might consider posting on the NAFHA Midwest Chapter forum - a lot of guys on there make the trip down every year.

Mike

DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

Mike Pingleton wrote:Image
I love seeing that.
justinm

Post by justinm »

They really changed the signage when I went down in May I was surprised to see that someone appears to be paying attention to that area. I'm happy for that, as I keep seeing a lot of knuckleheads doing things they really shouldn't. If you didn't know this is the only ecological area in Illinois that has protection for all species. You still see people roughhousing hots though. I have been hearing of more tickets being handed out so maybe it will start to lose appeal to those folks. If you go read the rules and follow them. Most importantly, no collecting, no bags, no hooks. Take only pictures folks.
Knightkrawler5

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

Yeah and watch where you put your feet and hands...cottonmouths are everywhere! I can't wait to go back down this October
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

justinm wrote: If you go read the rules and follow them. Most importantly, no collecting, no bags, no hooks. Take only pictures folks.
So is everyone strolling around with a shepherd's crook walking stick? :lol:
justinm

Post by justinm »

You do see a lot of Walking Sticks... I don't want the area closed to foot traffic so I'm kind of a prick when I see people breaking the rules down there.
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

I too will be making my first trip down there this October. I've been mega excited all year! It sucks that I'll have to leave my hook in the car, but I'll be sure to respect the rules.
Ian
Wayne_MO

Post by Wayne_MO »

justinm wrote:You do see a lot of Walking Sticks... I don't want the area closed to foot traffic so I'm kind of a prick when I see people breaking the rules down there.
As well you should be. Snake Road is a terrific public resource. Snakes are abundant enough there that everyone can get some really good in situ pictures, so leaving the hook at home is a pretty minor sacrifice to afford the snakes minimum harassment and to offer herpers an unusual site where herps are actually given priority.
Wayne_MO

Post by Wayne_MO »

bitis2 wrote:I am starting to plan a fall trip down to snake road. This will be my first trip there and I am looking for some insight. Would like to pick the brains of those who have been there on such things as best dates, other good herping sights, etc. I am looking forward to the trip and the chance to photograph some herps. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Early to mid-October is ideal. There are other good sites in the area, but it is easy to work the snake road area and nowhere else for 3 or 4 straight days and never get bored. While I sometimes explore other sites in the area (especially if accompanied by people who know those other sites) it is kind of hard to beat just concentrating most or all of your effort on the road and the bluffs and swamps near the road.

Of course being on the road you also run into people who might offer to show you other places, so if you do get bored of the road (you won't) the road is still a good place to network for those other places.
bitis2

Post by bitis2 »

Thanks all for the info and hope to see some of you all this fall.
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

Im actually going to snake road tommorow, I just like going to the road, I know I will probably only see like one cottonmouth but its worth it. Th scenery is just amazing.
ahockenberry

Post by ahockenberry »

Excellent Cottonmouth!