Anything would be awesome.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DCooper

Anything would be awesome.

Post by DCooper »

Hey guys, I'm heading to Virginia Beach this coming weekend with my family and the in-laws. kind of a spur of the moment trip as we just decided today we were going. If anyone could give me some tips on the area It would be much appreciated, Parks and WMAs would be prefered as chances are I will have very little if any herping time but If the chance arises I would love to have a nearby park to shoot for. Common things would be wonderful as many common species from the area would be lifers. Thanks for any info you can give.
brick911

Re: Anything would be awesome.

Post by brick911 »

As many times as I've been to VA Beach, it was when I was a kid and before I had a chance to drive. Not sure how far you could go.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Google Earth has all the parks outlined in green. I am sure you would find something if you went anywhere with some forest habitat.
DCooper

Post by DCooper »

Thanks Guys! I have a few areas in mind at this point. Just thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions. I'm sure I'll see something, even if I don't get a chance to solely go herping at any point. Like I'm sure all of you do, I herp without even thinking about it at this point lol.
Thesee

Post by Thesee »

I was there last week It was too damn hot and I didnt have access to a car so I didnt get much herping in. But I did manage to bike a few miles away found some good looking habitat on the side of the road and went exploring with my camera with in 10 min of looking around three navy police cars pulled up and I was questioned for about ten min on what I was doing, turns out I was too close to the Navy base lol. So watch out for that, and that habitat looks so good too.
Also hit up the dunes near sandbridge there is alot of six-lined racerunners on them that are fun to chase around!
Siobhan

Post by Siobhan »

Thesee wrote:I was there last week It was too damn hot and I didnt have access to a car so I didnt get much herping in. But I did manage to bike a few miles away found some good looking habitat on the side of the road and went exploring with my camera with in 10 min of looking around three navy police cars pulled up and I was questioned for about ten min on what I was doing, turns out I was too close to the Navy base lol. So watch out for that, and that habitat looks so good too.
Also hit up the dunes near sandbridge there is alot of six-lined racerunners on them that are fun to chase around!

We've gotten too close too before, but never stopped and questioned. A friend of mine though, had 2 suited men approach her in the middle of the woods once, just hiking. I think she was too close to camp david. It always makes me nervous up in western md!
DCooper

Post by DCooper »

Thanks again for the tips everyone. I unfortunately I got to do absolutely zero herping due to a wide array of opposing factors. I wasn't happy about it, but as they say, stuff happens. I did manage a southern toad outside of a Golden Corral we ate at though. Better than nothing I guess. Also saw many areas I promised myself I would check out should I return.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

I know that feeing Dylan. I will be in Florida the next few days with no time to herp cept for anoles in the bushes outside my sons apartment.