Fall Survey - Mills Canyon NM Sept 2-5

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TimCO

Fall Survey - Mills Canyon NM Sept 2-5

Post by TimCO »

It's time for another survey. This time it's Mills Canyon in Harding County, New Mexico. An oasis in the high plains, it holds the northernmost Rocky Mountain distribution for several species, including Crotalus atrox, Salvadora grahamiae and Thamnophis proximus diabolicus. It has plenty of room to herp, and is home to many other interesting species. Perhaps we can entice NM members Bill and Chris to join us. Accommodations will be camping, look forward to a fun weekend.
Springsherper

Re: Fall Survey - Mills Canyon NM Sept 2-5

Post by Springsherper »

I'm in. Love that area!

John
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

I'm in!
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

Work schedule might be a little tough from what I understand around then....gotta love the retail world.
Springsherper

Post by Springsherper »

Tim asked me to throw out a more comprehensive list of target species since I have visited Mills Canyon about twice a year for the last 4 years. Degenhardt, Painter and Price, 1996 (DPP) list; A. tigrinum, S. bombifrons, S. multiplicata. A, punctatus, A. woodhousi, H. arenicolor, P triseriatra, L. blairi, C. serpentina, A. spiniferus, P douglasii, S. undulatus, A. exsanguis, A. velox, D. puncatus, C. flagellum, C. taeniatus, T. cyrtopsis, T. proximus diabolicus, T. elegans, C. atrox.

Mills Canyon is also in the center of of an interesting 'hole' in numerous distributional maps in DPP. The canyon holds favorable habitat to species that are found only 35 linear miles away at Conchas Reservoir and with very little elevation change (about 200 meters) and several have distributions that 'wrap' the canyon rim's surrounding raised elevations; being found south, east and north. Those are; T. ornata, A. tesselatus, A. sexlineatus, P. obselatus, L. dulcis, A. elegans, C. constrictor, P. emoryi, H. nasicus, H. jani, L. triangulum, P. catenifer sayi, R. lecontei, S. semiannulata, C. viridis and Salvadora grahamiae. Several of these I have personally observed but before I had a digital camera and a GPS.

Its a pretty cool place with an opportunity for, if not true range extensions, filling in some gaps. There are also a couple of interesting roads to cruise as well. Just a couple words about conditions. The canyon bottom has about 5 official sites with a pit toilet and picnic tables. The canyon rim campground is about the same.The Canadian River that runs through the canyon is downstream from cattle ranches so bring water!! and Roy, the nearest town, has limited resources. Towns with full services,Springer and Wagon Mound, are both about 45 miles (1 hour) from camp. I am thinking about brewing some beer for the trip. Any requests?

Hope to see you there!

John
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Here is a species list that was compiled by Ted Brown. It was created in 2002, so the taxonomy has changed since then, but still an accurate portrayal of what is there and possible.

Josh
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

I'm surprised getula isn't on that list.
Springsherper

Post by Springsherper »

I believe there is a good shot at lecontei, as well, given the predominence on Aspidoscelis in the area and the elevation is essentially the same as its CO distribution.

John
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

TimCO wrote:I'm surprised getula isn't on that list.
It should be there...

http://home.comcast.net/~herpsofnm/Spec ... Getula.htm

Another critter possibly nearby and would be an official specimen if found would be a certain snake species found in Oct 2009 just outside of Tucumcari. Gastrophryne could be another nearby candidate.
Springsherper wrote:I am thinking about brewing some beer for the trip. Any requests?
Oktoberfest? I haven't had a good "home" brew (High Desert Micro Brewery) one since leaving Las Cruces in 2009.

Tim...my fiancée has already requested the time off. I'll be doing the same tomorrow. I should get the request given I've not used any of my 2 weeks vacation yet.
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

ChrisNM wrote:
TimCO wrote:I'm surprised getula isn't on that list.
It should be there...

http://home.comcast.net/~herpsofnm/Spec ... Getula.htm

Another critter possibly nearby and would be an official specimen if found would be a certain snake species found in Oct 2009 just outside of Tucumcari. Gastrophryne could be another nearby candidate.
Springsherper wrote:I am thinking about brewing some beer for the trip. Any requests?
Oktoberfest? I haven't had a good "home" brew (High Desert Micro Brewery) one since leaving Las Cruces in 2009.

Tim...my fiancée has already requested the time off. I'll be doing the same tomorrow. I should get the request given I've not used any of my 2 weeks vacation yet.
Good deal Chris. Nice site too.

That certain species would be a real treat, may be a little high for that bugger, but I'm not discounting it entirely.

I'm saying a nice wheat.
ewostl

Post by ewostl »

Lined Snakes can be found there as well, didn't see them on any of the lists above. Some good birds show up there from time to time as well so I would suggest bringing some binoculars. Sounds fun, one of my favorite places.

Cheers

EW
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

I just got back from our monthly meeting for the New Mexico Herpetological Society. They have decided on doing their fall field trip in conjunction with ours to Mills Canyon. If you have ever read Amphibians and Reptiles of New Mexico, I'm sure you've seen a few names of possible attendees: Ted Brown will be attending and Bill Degenhardt may be. NMHS has done three field trips to Mills and I have the reports from the two most recent. They have recently had some rain, so it should be good, but a lot can change in a week. If anyone is in the Albuquerque area on September 1, we will be having a meeting at 7:00pm at the Rattlesnake Museum and Ted Brown will be showing some slides from previous trips to Mills, both wet and dry years. I also believe Bill Gorum will be showing some pictures that night as well.

Josh
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Here is the species found from the 2002 trip:

Josh
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I guess it'd be OK if I came but left Sunday? I don't think I'll be able to take more time off work.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

come when you want, leave when you want, we're pretty informal.

Josh
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

given that I love NM I really should know this, but this is near Mills, NM in Harding county right? IIRC part of Cibola?

Pending approval of that Friday/monday off and barring major financial issues I'll be there. Its less than 200 miles from me. Never done an offical survey. How does this work? We go in groups, do lots of hiking, take lots of pictures?
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Yes, Mills Canyon in Harding County.

Lots of hiking and documenting every herp observed, even DORs.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

schweet. We're staying on the campgrounds there? Bring all our own food and stuff?

/starts looking at packing list. I'm pending approval on PTO. Todays my managers last day but we have a replacement she's been training so we'll see how it goes. I'm optimistic she'll approve it.
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Yes, we'll be at the campground. Bring all of your gear, food etc.

http://www.summitpost.org/canadian-rive ... yon/276153
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

We get the Canadian in my neck of the woods; it's incredibly scenic in places.

I got approved so far for hte PTO so I'll be there. Is there a gas station in Mills? I seem to remember a *really* dead little town, like maybe Mosquero or Roy being the closest gas stations/restaurants. Would it be better to just bring a 5 or 10 gallon tank of gasoline?

edit: and should I bring any sacks/carrying gear? are we bringing finds back to the central camp or just photographing them in place?

and do those campgrounds have any potable water source? If not I'll need to bring in a *lot* more water (I go through about 2 gallons a day doing stuff like this).
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

No need for a gas can, there is a 24 hour station in Roy.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Beautiful Place Wish I could be there..

Fundad
Springsherper

Post by Springsherper »

As far as the homebrew goes I was not able to brew in time for it to be ready for Mills. I got admitted to the hospital due to pnuemonia the day after my birthday so it knocked me down for a couple of weeks. That said it is BYO for just about everything including water (and beer). I don't know how good everyone's filtration system is but I am not going to trust mine. The Canadian is very silted and downstream from cattle ranches so bringing you own water for the weekend is not only highly recommended but I would say recquired. I called Town Hall in Roy and they do have 24 hour gas and a general store. From what I remember it is VERY general. Not a lot of variety. Those of you with particular diets will want to stock up before leaving or at the very least stop in Springer or Las Vegas, depending on which direction you are coming from. Camping conditions are primitive; no electricity, no cell service, pit toilets, and as mentioned no potable water. I was asked about getting a pop up down the canyon. The road in is definitely one lane for most of the 2 miles from the rim to campground with one particular 150 degree hairpin turn about 200 yards in. That 200 yards in the beginning is one lane and some of the steepest so unless you car is less than 15 feet and you pop up is less than ten feet long I wouldn't attempt it. There are sites to camp at on the rim, a couple of possible site part way down. 4-5 official sites in the canyon, 2 or 3 unoffical sites on the East side of the river and room for several cars to the West of the river if you have the nerve to cross the funky, 'underwater' dam. Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Canadian is also salty as all hell. Really wouldn't want to try to drink from it even filtered. Yuck.

I'll try to bring a flat or two of bottled water as well as 5-6 gallon jugs+my camel back and a handful of frozen 2 liter bottles. Just to have some extra for myself and anyone that runs a wee bit short.

Is there one particular camp site we're all supposed to use or place to meet at in the canyon?

There's a total burn ban in effect right? If so I'm just backing loads of fruit, veggies and cheese. 3 oz of cheese+2 large pears and a few crackers=one hell of a good meal.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

I heard from Ted Brown who contacted the forest service or whatever agency is responsible for Mills and they said there is a new campground on the rim, no water or anything like that, but tent pads and such. If someone wanted to bring a camper, they would definitely want to camp on the rim. As far as I know burn restrictions are stage 2. Stage 2 fire restrictions include:
http://nmfireinfo.wordpress.com/information/stage-ii-fire-restrictions/ wrote:STAGE II FIRE RESTRICTIONS
PROHIBITIONS:
Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or stove fire.
Smoking.
Using fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices.
Operating a chainsaw, or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, is prohibited.
Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order.
Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
Possessing or using a motor vehicle off roads on federal lands, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
Violating any state law, that specifically concerns burning, fires, or that which is for the purpose of preventing or restricting the spread of fire
EXEMPTIONS:
There are a few, very specific exemptions from these prohibitions. Please contact the land manager for the area of interest, to see if you meet the criteria for an exemption.
VIOLATIONS:
Violations of these regulations is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months or both.
Josh
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

oh yeah, anyone actually seen a patchnosed there? That or a milk would be most desired outta those :D

I'm bringing Degenhart's book with me; think he'd sign it if he shows? :D
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

if he shows, he would, he signed mine at a field trip a couple years ago.

Josh
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Paul, I know several people that have seen Salvadora there.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

sweeet :D I've never seen one of those in person but the photos make them look pretty neat. I think pretty much all the other snakes and chelonians I have in my area (well, not the blackneck garter) but any place that's a bit different is neat.
cayrip

Post by cayrip »

herpseeker1978 wrote:I heard from Ted Brown who contacted the forest service or whatever agency is responsible for Mills and they said there is a new campground on the rim, no water or anything like that, but tent pads and such. If someone wanted to bring a camper, they would definitely want to camp on the rim. As far as I know burn restrictions are stage 2. Stage 2 fire restrictions include:
http://nmfireinfo.wordpress.com/information/stage-ii-fire-restrictions/ wrote:STAGE II FIRE RESTRICTIONS
PROHIBITIONS:
Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or stove fire.
Smoking.
Using fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices.
Operating a chainsaw, or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, is prohibited.
Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order.
Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
Possessing or using a motor vehicle off roads on federal lands, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
Violating any state law, that specifically concerns burning, fires, or that which is for the purpose of preventing or restricting the spread of fire
EXEMPTIONS:
There are a few, very specific exemptions from these prohibitions. Please contact the land manager for the area of interest, to see if you meet the criteria for an exemption.
VIOLATIONS:
Violations of these regulations is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months or both.
Josh
No stoves??? I was going to bring my boys but they will refuse to live off of rabbit food and jerky for 3 days. Hmmmm.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

what about cheese? That's not rabbit food or jerky.

I'm trying to work out a (safe) way to bring meat--some lunch meat might last a day or so safely in a good ice chest I guess and I really do love a cold chicken sandwich. I would bring bacon (because who doesn't love it) but without stoves yeah.

My god the smell at this campsite will be horrible :lol:
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

A member from NMHS is planning on bringing a camper that has a stove and things. She might let people use it. If not, just bring zappable stuff and use the microwave at a gas station :P or buy it at the gas station, assuming they have a microwave.

Josh
Springsherper

Post by Springsherper »

I have seen Salvadora in Mills.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

I did some searching online and found this:
http://publiclands.org/firenews/NM.php#contentEEuFluklEpdlPOVucv wrote:Stage TWO Restrictions:

NO OPEN FIRES!!! Which means that "building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, broiler, coal, or wood stove fire is prohibited" anywhere in the restricted jurisdiction- even in developed recreation sites. Public lands users are allowed to use pressurized liquid or gas stoves, lanterns, or space-heating devices - check your gear before heading out to be sure it operates safely.

Smoking is only allowed inside an enclosed vehicle.

NO motor vehicles can be taken off road, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
Parking overnight in developed campgrounds and trailheads is usually allowed.

Internal or external combustion engines must have properly installed, maintained, and working spark arrestors.

Explosives (including fireworks) are prohibited.

Operating chainsaws, other equipment powered by an internal
combustion engines, and welding is usually restricted as well.
It appears to me that gas stoves are allowed. I will be bringing one.

Josh
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I don't own one so I won't. I have 2 ice chest to fill up with rabbit food though :D Keep me losing weight and regular despite primitive facilities.
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Uh-oh found a problem with the area we are going to I read this under safety precautions:
http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regions/southwestern/MillsCanyon/index.shtml wrote:Safety First: During the summer months, rattlesnakes are common in the rocky terrain; pay attention to where you walk and place your hands
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Josh
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

I just found this blog about Mills: http://nmherps.blogspot.com/2006/06/mil ... river.html

Josh
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

ooh that was a pretty coachwhip! and Salvadora!

I may wind up being asked to go to NC or NY next week, depending. Hopefully not. But during major multistate disasters they tend to call for...anyone...that handles disaster relief because big events like this are a major resource drain. If they call for help for a week or two and my boss lets me I'm going to go, otherwise I'll see ya'll at NM :)
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

I just wanted to get a head count on the field trip, please reply if you are for sure going, if you are not sure, just say you're not sure.

Josh
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Erika and I will be there Friday night.
ColdBloodedHerps

Post by ColdBloodedHerps »

John and I will be there Friday night. Thanks John for hooking me up with a ride. :beer:
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

My fiancée and I should be there Fri evening assuming I get the new gears in my truck's rear axle broke in with correct mileage. Probably only sticking around Fri and Sat, possibly Sun morning.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Irene was *not* as bad as advertised so definitely there. w00t! I'll see all of ya'll Friday. May get there Thursday night or wait till Friday.

Here's hoping baby snakes are out. How awesome would a baby salvadora or thamnophis be?
cayrip

Post by cayrip »

I am arriving with my 3 boys Thursday night and staying until Saturday. Bringing a pop-up so will be parked on the rim.

Cameron
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

getula and Arizona should be on there as well.

Also, 5-day weather http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/USNM0203
10-day weather http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USNM0203

Josh
cayrip

Post by cayrip »

Since I will likely be one of the first ones there, I want to know what you want me to do with roadkills. I plan to photo document and record UTMs. The question is: do I throw them off the road so we don't double count them or leave them there to see if anyone else can find them? I plan on pickling (formalin unless someone screams they want the DNA first) any high quality specimens found DOR but the rest I do not want to keep. I will keep them for others if they want them.

Just yell and I can follow any established DOR protocol.

Cameron
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Voucher pics and GPS is the standard protocol. Then dispose of them.
cayrip

Post by cayrip »

TimCO wrote:Voucher pics and GPS is the standard protocol. Then dispose of them.

10-4
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

If the dor is a significant find, we can donate to the unm museum. I can handle those.

Josh
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I'd like to take a handful of common DORs of decent quality--I need practice probing and I want to dissect one or two to see if I can learn anything.

I'll be there tomorrow night. All my crap is packed up on my table so I can grab & go after work :mrgreen: too much CRAP but 90% of it is water/food. Blech. Why is water so heavy again?

LOL