Darwin award nominee

Extended discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gordon C. Snelling

Darwin award nominee

Post by Gordon C. Snelling » July 6th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Anyone else want to take a pot shot at this Darwin award nominee. he thinks kissing a Crotalus is a good plan.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthr ... ost1691646

Ross Padilla

Re: DArwin award nominee

Post by Ross Padilla » July 6th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Yeah, thats real smart.

joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen » July 6th, 2010, 5:45 pm

I realize this doesnt compare to kissing a squished crote head, but he's also rather horrible at knowing the names of the herp's he's dealing with. A true proffesional -"don't try this at home kids, daddy's bin drink'n" :beer:

Ian

Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane » July 6th, 2010, 6:01 pm

And that's all I have to say. :o

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla » July 6th, 2010, 6:22 pm

They're cute until they bite you.

chris drake

Re: Darwin award nominee

Post by chris drake » July 6th, 2010, 6:36 pm

He thought it may have slipped him some tongue? Damn shame it didn't slip him some fang. I don't wish ill will on anybody but if that guy gets bit he deserves it. What an irresponsible idiot. Its just a matter of time right? lol

Chris

CrimsonCoils

Post by CrimsonCoils » July 6th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Nothing says respect for a beautiful snake like mocking it... Moron. :roll:

Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah » July 6th, 2010, 7:21 pm

I've been wondering about something for a while, and maybe one of you can answer this for me...

If you are out in the field and you're messing with a venomous snake and get bit, will your medical bills be covered by insurance if they see that you regularly put yourself in harm's way?? So i have videos and pictures galore online right, many of which feature venomous snakes, could i be denied coverage if i'm bit in the field? Does it matter at all that i kind of look for trouble?

I guess i'm just paranoid because in my experience insurance companies deny coverage whenever they can...

Thanks guys

Oh, and that guy kissing the rattlesnake is complete idiot.

Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah » July 6th, 2010, 7:22 pm

...accidental double post*

Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters » July 7th, 2010, 4:59 am

what if the snake is venomoid? He could be doing it just to male you think he's an idiot.

M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton » July 7th, 2010, 11:50 am

He won't pull that stunt many times....

AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor » July 7th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Someone else with an active account should let him know a thing or two, aside from his piss poor id of a few common washington herps, it doesn't matter what kind of hold he had on that snake, it could have SO easily sprang its mouth open or slipped a fang out and stuck him... Nobody corrected his wandering garter. The rattlesnake taxonomy doesn't bother me too much because so many people do it, and it at one point was correct, but still...

Paul White

Post by Paul White » July 7th, 2010, 2:18 pm

What's the taxonomy now? I have to admit I find keeping up with the current latin names a challenge since I'm no longer in college and don't have access to all the journals and publications.

M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton » July 7th, 2010, 2:47 pm

It's Crotalus oreganus oreganus

Paul White

Post by Paul White » July 7th, 2010, 2:55 pm

how many of the old viridus species got split out? I can't say I'm really surprised that it happened but I can't believe I missed it.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » July 7th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Mike Waters wrote:He could be doing it just to male
I do it just to female, but to each his own.

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling » July 7th, 2010, 4:38 pm

His response to my most recent post (as myrmecophile) over there was "If you say so"

This is now posted on the bottom of his posts.

Travis K, Honorary Nominee of the Prestigious Darwin Award!

AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor » July 8th, 2010, 7:41 am

I couldn't help it, I created an account over there and made a post. I tried not to be too insulting so hopefully he gets the message.

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling » July 8th, 2010, 9:32 am

Andy, Your post was perfect. Apparently he got the message finally and has stated in a recent post he will be taking the image down.

M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton » July 8th, 2010, 9:47 am

I just wanted him to know the reality behind this with regards to just how close he came to a huge hospital bill.

I don't really care all that much what people think of herpers or whether he keeps the photo up or not.

TravisK

Post by TravisK » July 8th, 2010, 11:19 am

OK, guys I got the point and now that I am a member of the forum here I plan on soaking up lots of good info and techniques from you.

Color me ignorant, at leaste for the time being. ;)

M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton » July 8th, 2010, 11:32 am

Welcome to the mad house, glad to see you here.

TravisK

Post by TravisK » July 8th, 2010, 12:14 pm

M Wolverton wrote:Welcome to the mad house, glad to see you here.
I guess if I am going to break into this forum this is a great way to do it.

...wait a sec... you are only one day older than me to this forum. I knew that warm welcome was too good to be true.

Edit: NM I see the join dates are all very recent, must be some kind of glitch on the forum or my end.

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling » July 8th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Travis welcome aboard. there was a major forum glitch recently so even those of use that have been here since near the beginning have recent dates.

TravisK

Post by TravisK » July 8th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Gordon C. Snelling wrote:Travis welcome aboard. there was a major forum glitch recently so even those of use that have been here since near the beginning have recent dates.

Either way, sorry I published such foolish behavior. Though I did not feel I was in extreme danger, I do agree that it's not the best thing to be advertising as acceptable herping pratice/behavior.

On a side note, I used to love keeping herps as "pets". But now days I like collecting inverts and just catching herps.

Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters » July 8th, 2010, 1:33 pm

welcome to the forum. Out of curiousity how many times have you succesfuly pulled off that stunt.

TravisK

Post by TravisK » July 8th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Mike Waters wrote:welcome to the forum. Out of curiousity how many times have you succesfuly pulled off that stunt.
Lets just say I am 100% successful at kissing rattle snakes. ;)

I didn't really do it to get attention from people on the internet. It was more for myself it that makes sense. I will say this I am more afraid of handling Scolopendra species than I am venomous snakes.

FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes » July 26th, 2010, 1:57 am

Joe Farah wrote:I've been wondering about something for a while, and maybe one of you can answer this for me...

If you are out in the field and you're messing with a venomous snake and get bit, will your medical bills be covered by insurance if they see that you regularly put yourself in harm's way?
I have never been bitten (and don't currently have insurance - precondition) but my understanding is that they will only cover accidental bites. If you were intentionally handling the snake, they will not cover it.

When I see reports of people being bitten on the arm in the paper and they say things like "I sat down on a rock and when I put my arm at my side, a rattlesnake bit it" I always wonder ...

TravisK

Post by TravisK » July 26th, 2010, 10:44 am

I am going to have to do a search for WA cause I can't remember the last time I have even heard of a Rattlesnake bite up here.

M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton » July 26th, 2010, 3:27 pm

People get bit by rattlesnakes here like they do anywhere else, it usually doesn't make the news. Luckily they are usually bites by smaller snakes.

The last to get killed by a rattlesnake here was in the 1970s IIRC- a well known case at the time. I knew a kid that was nearly killed by a real large one while negligently handling it in the early 1990s. He spent the first eight days of his hospital stay in critical condition.

Northern Pacific rattlesnakes are no joke.

FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes » July 26th, 2010, 4:30 pm

It's stories like this that I wonder about ...
On July 21, 2002, just after my 13th birthday, I was bitten by a Northern Pacific rattlesnake ... The bite occurred when I was sitting on a small boulder at a distance of 4.5 miles from the trailhead with my cabin group at camp. I had my arms dangling at my side, and a 5 foot long rattlesnake bit me in the middle of my left palm.
Maybe that's what happened, but I seriously have to wonder.
My hand now has fully mobility and is about 80% as strong as it was before, thanks to my Dad and I resuming our rock climbing after a 1 year break due to the lack of strength in my left hand. I use it for about 90% of the things I used to do with my left hand (I am right handed). 13 surgeries, $700,000 worth of helicopter flights, surgeries, and hospital stays (paid by my insurance of course), and 20 months later, I am very happy with the outcome of this experience and my good fortune of getting through all this without any significant loss.
http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/

jonathan

Post by jonathan » July 26th, 2010, 7:33 pm

M Wolverton wrote:People get bit by rattlesnakes here like they do anywhere else, it usually doesn't make the news. Luckily they are usually bites by smaller snakes.

The last to get killed by a rattlesnake here was in the 1970s IIRC- a well known case at the time. I knew a kid that was nearly killed by a real large one while negligently handling it in the early 1990s. He spent the first eight days of his hospital stay in critical condition.

I remember someone getting killed in Oregon fairly recently - typical "drunk handling snake" case.

TravisK

Post by TravisK » July 27th, 2010, 8:25 am

M Wolverton wrote:People get bit by rattlesnakes here like they do anywhere else, it usually doesn't make the news. Luckily they are usually bites by smaller snakes.

Can you elaborate on 'negligent handling'?
Did you witness the incident?

Again, sorry about the earlier display of arrogance. That display was totally disrespectful on numerous levels.

M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton » July 27th, 2010, 9:00 am

He was a teenager I knew well because I was good friends with his older brother who told me what happened. He had caught several rattlesnakes and had them loose in the trunk of his car. At some point he opened the trunk and attempted to pick up a 3-3.5 foot one. He picked it up wrong (I got the idea that it was free handling but don't know for sure) and it got him between two fingers with a fang. So, he got half a yield or less.

TravisK

Post by TravisK » July 27th, 2010, 10:43 am

So he didn't pin and grab it by the head then?

AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor » July 27th, 2010, 11:33 am

Not sure what the relevance of that question is Travis, are you looking for examples of people that were bitten while attempting a pin and grab? Those can definitely be provided as it is a pretty widely accepted idea that it's just not safe, as most pit vipers have the fang length and skull/jaw maneuverability to stick the hand the holds them.

rachely476

Post by rachely476 » October 21st, 2010, 5:22 pm

Gordon C. Snelling wrote:Anyone else want to take a pot shot at this Darwin award nominee. he thinks kissing a Crotalus is a good plan.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthr ... ost1691646
Thanks for sharing the link!

stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude » October 26th, 2010, 6:12 am

I suspect a lot of bites that "just happened" were actually the result of someone messing with the snake.

Once bitten the dialogue goes something like this:
Dadpa: "Little Jim Bob Stevens why was you messin with that there thang"
Child: "but grandpa/daddy I wasnt messin with that there thang, it come plumb outta nowhere and bit me"