Large Alligator Killed in Georgie

Press clippings from around the world.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Large Alligator Killed in Georgie

Post by chris_mcmartin »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 039780002/

My concerns:

1. Forced-perspective shot. A gator this big needs no exaggeration...I'd lay down on top of or in front of it.

2. Article says it was euthanized due to its "poor condition," mentioning a few old gunshot wounds. It made it this long; I wonder what prompted killing it?

The biologist's name sounds familiar; if he's on the forum, could he provide more context?
Kelly Mc

Re: Large Alligator Killed in Georgie

Post by Kelly Mc »

Forced perspectives are a bummer.

I too wonder what they meant by poor condition. That gator looks like its been able to catch and find food, not underfleshed and I would think they would show the wounds if they warranted the animals' destruction.

I remember coming across something about crocodilians having some specific resistance to infections .
They also seem to bounce back from even limb loss pretty regularly.

Man what a glorious beast.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Chris, I'm of the belief that people involved with putting down such an animal, and making it public, should make themselves available to answer questions about it.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Kelly Mc wrote: March 16th, 2019, 7:26 am Chris, I'm of the belief that people involved with putting down such an animal, and making it public, should make themselves available to answer questions about it.
I understand the idea behind this but I can see it quickly becoming an interrogation that the biologist and agency can't win in the eyes of the public.

If it was me, I would release findings from the report and probably not take random questions from the public.

As a state agency, their constituency is really to the people of the state and not to the general public.

Also a southern state with a very utilitarian wildlife agency, they may worry a lot less than you and I that this was a justified decision. If I was a betting person, I would lay a 50$ that there isn't even a necropsy report for this case.....

Kind of random, discombobulated thoughts. Sorry for that.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Oh yeah - absolutely. Random questions would be a slippery mess. A report would be nice.

I guess I was a bit put off by the optical of the photo, it was too much like click bait.

Coincidentally I started watching a film on a suspected man eater Nile Croc in Lake Tanganyika. They havent caught him yet but the snares and trap cage they made look harmful to a giant thrashing animal.

Why dont they just put signs up.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

The photo was definitely click bait.

Forced perspective or not, that is a magnificent and monstrous beast....