Plated lizard with eye problem

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrisr

Plated lizard with eye problem

Post by chrisr »

Hello, my Sudanese plated lizard has some kind of stuff in its eyes that almost completely covers them. It looks like retained shed to me, but my vet disagreed. She gave him antibiotics and eye drops which did nothing. He is otherwise healthy and eating.

I have soaked him for half an hour in a plastic tub a few times up to now.

Any ideas of what else I should do?
thanks in advance,
Chris
Kelly Mc

Re: Plated lizard with eye problem

Post by Kelly Mc »

Your images dont come up for me Chris.

Basic Eye Injury/Infection protocol is to remove particulate sub from the environment and check hiding areas for interior repeat contact areas that can re offend the affected eye.

Strong lizards can self injure on artifacts seeking security.

Eye problems cause immense stress, with Plated lizards that means the animal needs to be protected from more self injury, but still have security. Shredded paper towels (Mucho) in his hide and as cover contact media is the best choice in recovery. You can also use piles of small guaze pads. Those are availaible, sold in stacks of 100+ and they are worth it as a time saver from shredding towels and have excellent antisepsis as a rehab sub for animals like this, with sensitive and crucial needs. (Eye Problems)

Short thread cloth towels can make a good liner if his claws dont get caught up, creating more stress.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Dont stop treating the eye and do the full series of the meds prescribed. The only harm that could come with empirical treatment would be to stop it prematurely. No matter what the exact cause is.

Just a note, not knowing your practices - Do not feed live rodents beyond fuzzy size to lizards. In panic of being eaten - there is often a direct shot at gnawing at an eye - EVEN IF IT NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE*

Like many accidents they dont happen, until they do.

It is possible for shed to get in the lining of the eye and irritate membranes, any material that lodges in the lid can open the eye area to infection.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

checking to see if perhaps its just a passing glitch on my end (the images) but still not coming up for me on this thing.

Hey hope your animal gets better. He can. I had a leo brought in with both eyes sealed shut from being in the garbage (not exaggerating - superstitious old person something about it being the color yellow) and it resolved with treatment and I kept it nourished and hydrated with a dosing needle.

Nourishment and hydration is really the determining factor to healing up and over, so its fantastic your plated still has a plated appetite.
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

That is weird, the images were showing for me and now they don't. Here is another try:
I have been keeping the humidity up and feeding regularly. I administered all of the meds, but the eyes seem to be getting worse. Thanks much for your replies.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Oh wow Chris. From what I see in the pics, it looks like corneal opacities, that are lipid deposits that show in the eye and ive seen it in long term captive plumed basilisks, horned frogs, and ackies.

its not an infection but is strongly suspected to be dietary in origin, often mistaken for cataracts.

That's just what it appears to me to be from what I have seen and encountered.
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Ok, thanks much. I currently feed him(?) crickets, mealworms, blueberries, and occasional Vitamin D supplements. Any suggestions as to what to add? This is basically what he has eaten for the past 10 years, but the eye opacities only appeared last year.
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

I agree with Kelly that it looks like an "internal" issue and not something caused by external injury or infection. Is it in both eyes? That would add further evidence to the above.
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Yes, it is in both. Any dietary tips?
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

I forgot to mention that this lizard is at least 13 years old. The vet thought that the eye conditions may be age-related.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Besides lipid deposits metabolic byproduct can accumulate in the organs and the eyes become windows to condition.

If I were you I would switch to uvb sources of d3 provision as a safer and self regulating form of its provision. It may not get better but it may stave progression
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a UVB bulb.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Well, I think you both will dig it,, no matter what. He will strike poses lol
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

If your animal has some version of hypercalcemia, it can be mitigated, it can get better. Lots of water, including wetting his food, good lighting for health and enrichment, especially appreciated on all levels by reptiles near the equator, and dont feel too responsible as the directions on reptile supplements are guess work in their own right, aiming somewhere between nutritional knowledge per the fishery and the poultry industry.
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

I would also add if you can get him outside, even for short periods, nothing beats the sun. Just make sure to do it safely so he has a place to retreat and not overheat. I have seen it work wonders on sick/injured herps. Here is a plated lizard taking advantage of the South African sun:
IMG_6821sized.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Word UP :beer:

what a beautiful sight Kfen
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Folks I really appreciate your help on this. So righteous of you. I'm going to do all these things :)
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Well, I think it takes a certain righteousness to choose and provide for a Plated Lizard. They are under rated lizards and their trust takes special patience. There is a dignity about them.

I hope all is well with you both.
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Hello again,
I am happy to report that the lizard has been very active and hungry over the past year. The UVB light seemed to really have helped stimulate the lizard ,and he recently shed one of the white opacities! The eye still looks cloudy but it seems like he can see a bit with it.

Thanks again,
Chris
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Thanks for the update, that is great news!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

It is. Such underrated lizards and I continue to enjoy that in situ photo.