I'm new to San Luis Obispo herping...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

rms1111

I'm new to San Luis Obispo herping...

Post by rms1111 »

Hey! I am a student currently at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, and I really want to get into the herping around the area. I come from some decent experience in my hometown of San Diego, but I'd especially love to find some crotes out in Montaña De Oro and maybe some other species under artificial cover. From my very basic google earth scour, I've come to the conclusion that SLO has literally almost no junk piles. I'm kind of lost as far as finding boards. Is it even a thing in SLO?

I would really appreciate some help in starting my search around SLO, especially near campus. Feel free to PM me - Thanks!

P.S. - I know my account is super new but it's because I finally figured out how to activate it LOL :D
Richard F. Hoyer

Re: I'm new to San Luis Obispo herping...

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

rms1111
Be advised that certain students from the greater San Diego region have been entered into a required winter and spring term field herpetology course, Sfcb -101, and Sfcb - 102. My information indicates you have been one of the students to have been enrolled in the winter and spring term sequence field courses.

Although the course starts at the beginning of winter term on Jan. 3, actual field work will depend on the prevailing weather and temperature conditions. The same provisions apply to Spring term which begins March 28th. Be advised, you may be required to continue field work during March 19 – 27, the time between the end of the winter term and beginning of the spring term.

This is a self taught course and as such, there will be no mid term exams. The winter term final exam, normally scheduled between March 14 – 18, may be waved depending on the progress reports you submit to your proxy instructor.**

Should any of your progress reports indicate success at the stated course objectives, within 3 –4 days, the proxy instructor would meet with you to provide detailed, hands-on instructions as to the manner in which record data.

*A synopsis of course requirements, the specific identification of both Sfcb – 101* and Sfcb – 102* courses, and other information can be obtained by contacting the proxy instructor.**

** Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon [email protected]) #

# Should the forum not provide my email address, it is the scientific name charinabottae (all lower case) @earthlink.net. Or you can contact me with a PM.
mark buck

Re: I'm new to San Luis Obispo herping...

Post by mark buck »

Richard are you still accepting new students for your Sfcb-101 course???
I need a refresher to prepare for the upcoming season of field work :)

@ rms1111

Listen carefully to any advice/insights Richard gives you! Mr. Hoyer is a treasure trove of useful information.

Rattlesnakes will come easy for you around SLO, crossing trails/roads once things warm up and basking in the rock piles before hand.
As far as the boards go, sounds like you have some work to do! Assuming you'll be in SLO for at least a few years while going to school this should give you plenty of time to set up a few study sites and flip some herps under cover.

When you get a chance you should share some of your San Diego finds here, that would certainly help you in getting more responses .

Welcome to FHF!