RFI. Table Rock Lake, MO. area

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

nhherp

RFI. Table Rock Lake, MO. area

Post by nhherp »

Hoping for some direction in the area of Table Rock Lake , MO
Not collecting. I will be visiting later in spring with family and will have an afternoon open to get out.
PM me if you should choose to want to share.

-N-
stlouisdude

Re: RFI. Table Rock Lake, MO. area

Post by stlouisdude »

Can't help you with table rock specifically but May is usually the best month for me finding colubrids in MO. Looking for flat rocks in open fields or even small opening in forests should be productive. If you're coming later in the summer, it might be better to focus on pit vipers. Late June/July gets hot and dry so flipping out in the open is trickier, pit vipers will be in rock crevices. I've also had some luck finding them by walking power line cuts at dark but is a bit dangerous since you're wandering around in tall grass peeking around old telephone posts, rock cuts and the snakes are often in the grass itself. I have not tried this myself but some people have told them they have luck shining at night in creeks for water snakes and one person sent me a video of snorkling with a cottonmouth in a stream at dusk which seemed interesting. September flipping will likely be good again.