Recommendations for Snake Cage Sellers

Captive care and husbandry.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrisr

Recommendations for Snake Cage Sellers

Post by chrisr »

Hello all,
it's been a while since I shopped for a cage. This will be a display enclosure. Who do you all recommend these days for a 9' plus Papuan carpet python? I am thinking the cage should be at least 6' long.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
stlouisdude

Re: Recommendations for Snake Cage Sellers

Post by stlouisdude »

I don't know anything about pythons so I cannot comment on the size. For large colubrids, I have purchased cages from animal plastics and boamaster.

Animal plastics cages were priced well, light weight, hold up very well. I liked them a lot and they stack well with stacking pins.

Boamaster I bought a melamine cage. Well it's melamine so obviously it's very heavy so you can't easily move it around, they have a huge range of cage sizes, and it's probably one of the least expensive options. Did I mention it's heavy? I have never tried their PVC cages but I believe animal plastics gets a little better reviews. I only have one of these, so it's hard for me to comment extensively on them but it is useable and I've not had any particular problem.

For heat, I like the radiant heat panels better than heat tape, I use dual themostats to prevent a disaster. One themostat plugs into the second, Both probes are in the cage. If one fails the other will still control the heat. That and I try to pick the right size to begin with.

Most important when I am getting any new snake, I am listening to any respiratory issues and checking the skin for any fungal issues (like small white nodules) and around the eyes and under chin for any signs of mites.
hcarlton

Post by hcarlton »

Having had recent experience with Animal Plastics, I cannot recommend them. Have had Boamaster recommended recently to me however.
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Thanks much for the suggestions! This is a snake that I have had for 19 years by the way :)
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Im excited for you and your snake Chris. Home sweet home.