Just Herping - An artistic journey into the mind of boredom induced road cruising

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

Just Herping - An artistic journey into the mind of boredom induced road cruising

Post by Porter »

This is my first attempt at a normalized standard Field Herping narration video... a Random and unrehearsed explorational drive through the realm of unpredictability. Buckle in for a nice visual treat of artistic cinematic beauty, comedic freestyle commentary, and bits of explanatory insight to some local Northern California Central Valley inhabitants. Enjoy :mrgreen:

Viewer Discretion is Advised...

Just a heads up... Quality is at only 360p right now. So, it will be better to watch later tonight

⚙️ (quality settings at the bottom of the vid - 4k) ⚙️

Porter

Re: Just Herping - An artistic journey into the mind of boredom induced road cruising

Post by Porter »

Aright... Here's the next edition in continuing the theme for non-music video content. You may however decide that you actually prefer the unorthodox alternative... after 20 minutes of listening to me babytalk little non-English speaking creatures... while attempting to sell the idea of misunderstood beauty to a solo audience of romantic interest... through an incoherent dream state mindset commentary induced by self-imposed exhaustion :crazyeyes: :sleep:

Some of you may recognize these finds from a compilation 3 part video I posted to the forum in 2019. This is all the extra footage to that trip... aside from some clips of a sidewinder that I must have deleted to save space (it was dark & didn't turn out good. Just a quick scoot out of the road before a car comes). Also, the road was crawling with striped sphinx moth caterpillars that morning, of different sizes and color. I had some great footage of those! However, I must have deleted it back then or my phone did automatically :cry: They were really cool looking with-a thorn sticking outta their arse.

On a sidenote... any chance that is a melanistic collard lizard? ..Or is it normal for them to be darker in color when they first wake up & warm up?

Porter

Re: Just Herping - An artistic journey into the mind of boredom induced road cruising

Post by Porter »

This is the first & ONLY video footage recorded and made available to the public of salamander metamorph first emergence-migration...
So, it's pretty rad :thumb: ..and you should WATCH IT..! Lol

Porter

Post by Porter »

I took a bunch of 720p footage and rendered it at 1080p to get a sharper image... Which resulted in a ridiculously HUGE file size of 39 GB (my 4k videos are usually around 2 - 4 gigabytes). It plays on my laptop, but my phone auto selects 360p unless I change the playback setting. It should look pretty good at a 1080p! Let me know if anyone has any problem playing it... Enjoy :beer:

Porter

Post by Porter »

Flew to Ohio to see my girlfriend (at the time) and did some herping in the downtime... Yoda is hiding somewhere in this video. Can you find him...?

Porter

Post by Porter »

Let me just say... I apologize for the narration :lol: Understand, all of these herp/video trips occurred on a Saturday following a 12-15 hr Friday nightshift. So, I would go to work Friday at 6pm. Get off work Saturday morning around 6am - 9am. Drive straight from work to the Sierras or wherever else I was going (sometimes, home first to chance clothes and wash my face). Then, spend all day hiking and flipping rocks with no sleep. Mostly, the audience in my head was my girlfriend at the time, who was not a fan of snakes... I can't really explain how difficult it is to think of something intelligent to say in those settings, when I'm..

1) at about 20-30% or my normal brain power...
2) filming and trying to get artistic angles while talking...
3) making sure the color is coming out good by angle to the sun...
4) focusing my iPhone camera by pinch expanding the touchscreen...
5) trying to get the snake to cooperate without hurting it...
6) trying to convince my girl they're not creepy lol...

...all without any practice or preparation. So, I'm basically just trying to gather and express some kind of thought process in the background of the more important tasks at hand :crazyeyes: I'm so tired and in a dreamlike state of mind... every now & then, some random fact will rise to the surface as if I'm talking to a field herper. Anyways, fair warning...lol Enjoy :thumb:

Porter

Post by Porter »

I think around this time, my audience was shifting from being solely my girlfriend... to my Instagram followers. Which included some younger field herper kids, my now ex-girlfriend who had a new boyfriend, a married woman a few years younger who did nature photog (who IS NOT the girl situation referenced in The Old Ass Rex Show. Nor was it my exgirlfriend), a church girl who had killed a rattlesnake on her property and friended me after I taught her a deeper understanding of the species, two other church girls (one from a dating site), a few more romantic interests (girls) who were animal lovers (not really into snakes), and a couple dating site girls, a couple of dudes who followed me because of skateboarding, ect...

I'm aware how now, that my voice is being heard in this footage for the first time... can be applied and taken out of context by certain people. It's a kick to the heart to say the least, but because I've experienced internet cancel culture to the fullest degree... let me just attempt to keep the peace and say... THIS is not about you... AND I'm not thinking about OR talking about, or talking to, you... in these videos.

AND the most difficult part about trying to convey that... is that the person most likely to be attached to whom I may seem to be referring to, ironically is not the person. Lol

But yeah

Thank god I had enough sense to delete that Fn' instagram :thumb:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Ok, here's the next addition to the non-music sesh... I've got a ton of 2020 footage that was a part of a quick one day Bay trip, to test out my new iPhone (Bay area being the worse conditions for color capture. As everyone knows). I don't wanna hog up the top spot. So, I'll add additional films to this box as I weed through it. I originally was only posting to instagram at this time... so, I had to sum up the trip into a one minute video (instagram only allowed a one minute running time for a post). There's a lot of quality footage, so check back later if that something your into! (I’ve got some great interesting western toad behavior on footage)

Porter

Post by Porter »

1st is Tiger Lilies, 2nd sweet peas…. Anyone knows the 3rd?