South Africa Sept 28-Oct 8, 2011

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rothdigga

South Africa Sept 28-Oct 8, 2011

Post by Rothdigga »

I've got a couple of jobs in the skateboard industry and one of them (judging and organizing pro/am contests) takes me to some awesome places. It also racks me up a ton of frequent flyer miles which I in turn use to go other awesome places (like Peru coming up next April!). One of the contests we run is the Maloof Money Cup, which up until this year was just stateside in OC, NYC, Washington DC. I was excited to learn that they were going overseas with it and we ended up in Kimberley, South Africa, way up in the Northern Cape near the Kalahari.
I got a little advice from some locals before going about road cruising and hiking, but COLD temps hit immediately after I got there. The nights were down in the high 30's. I road cruised 1 day but cold and windy yeilded nothing at all. I did hike every morning before the contest, for 4 days straight from 6am-9am but "only" saw the following things.
Red Hartebeest
I must say it is cool seeing this scene while you're out hiking...
also cool to walk up on some of these...

First herp of the trip was a somewhat recently deceased Tent Tortoise, bummer

Our hotel was directly in fronte of "The Big Hole" which is the largest hand dug hole in the world. It was an active diamond mine from about 1880-1913 or so, very similar to the gold rush in the US. Everyone had small individual plots until after a while they were all bought up and consolidated as a company and formed DeBeers. Interesting and VERY large.
first live herp found next to the hole, unidentified Skink

We did a street contest and also a Vert and Mini-Mega contest. This is what the view is like from the top of the 30ft roll-in on the "mini" mega. There's a much larger version they use of this thing, it's a 70ft roll-in to a 50 or 70ft gap.

I did do a guided night drive at the place I hiked each morning, saw an unusual Aardvark out, crazy looking.

After the contest, we were off on our drive to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. I got some advice to take a little offbeat route there in hopes of seeing some wildlife along the way. We didn't see much until all of a sudden all types of DOR's and 1 alive came along.
First 2 DOR's, Cape Cobras
Right after this I saw a live one on the side of the road. Immediately jumped out to get a photo and it was gone into the grass. Chasing a cobra into tall grass was a fun experience, but it was gone down a hole too quick.

This next one was a heartbreaker too, huge Rock Monitor

In that short stretch of probably 10 miles or less we saw 3 DOR Cape Cobras, 1 AOR Cape Cobra and that monitor. If it wasn't 4 hours from where we were going I would've known exactly where to cruise at dusk.

Saw one of these on our drive as well, African White Backed Vulture

The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park is at the very North tip of South Africa, bordering Bostswana and Namibia. Inside the park they don't allow you to leave your vehicle, due to the abundance of predators in the park, mainly Lions, Leopards, Cheetahs and Hyenas. You can stay in the park but the camps are fenced in and don't allow much freedom with hiking and exploring. Because of this I ended up staying about 15 minutes south at a place called Kalahari Trails. No restrictions (and also no big cats sadly). My wife and I had a pretty sweet private house all to ourselves for 5 days (at about $90/night).

Our routine was pretty much this...park gate opens at 6am so wake up at 4:45, get packed for the day for spending 12 hours in the truck, get camera gear set up and roll out. Back by about 4-5pm and sleep early, repeat.

The park is well known for lots and lots of raptors as well as lots of mammals and predators. Surely by now after a few trip reports by me you're used to an overdose of birds I'm assuming.

Springbok are very plentiful in the park. I did read that 300 years ago their annual migration in Southern Africa was 4km wide and 8km long, whoa. Not as many as their used to be, but still lots to go around.

Steenbok look kind of like the devil

This crazy looking bird is a Kori Bustard, much like a roided out Roadrunner on crack, about 3 feet tall

These dudes have a TV show after them

I couldn't get enough of seeing these, Swallow-tailed Bee Eater. Brilliant.

We saw a Cape Fox family in a den duck underground right when we pulled up, so we waited about 15 minutes with the car off and they slowly came out.
Mom first, then the 3 pups.

Tawny Eagle

Since you can't get out of your car, it's hard to get a good shot of torts from up high in the window. Leopard Tortoise we found on the road, he bolted up this embankment while we watched him.

Not sure of the ID on this Skink I saw on a log.

Spotted Eagle Owl

Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill's are abundant in the park

These Secretary Birds are crazy looking. Like 3.5ft tall and just stomping on the ground looking for snakes and lizards. Wild

Spotted Hyenas trying to stay cool in the heat

Each night we got back I would BBQ and watch/shoot photos of the 6-7 geckos we had on the rocks outside our place.
Bibron's Thick-toed Geckos

I also spent 2 nights out in the dunes trying to shoot Barking Geckos, but to no avail. Very tricky to get find, even though they are "barking" for about 2-3 hours each evening. They post up inside a hole and use it for amplification, so they don't come out too far if at all.

Cool sign

Ground Agama

Another unknown Skink with a rainbow of fruit flavors on his skin

And this Sandveld Lizard outside our place

This Black-shouldered Kite was looking pretty good

This is what it looked like directly behind our place. I hiked these burned and non-burned portions of dunes looking for snakes but got nothing.

For those of you that like tracks, you can get lost following these ones. The large prints are from Springbok, lots of little ones in there though.

There were about 4-5 of these Skinks outside our place
along with another Ground Agama

Welcome to...can't say I ever thought I would see that sign in my life.

Early one morning we saw these 2 Bat-eared Foxes on the move, super cool looking.

These Martial Eagles are bad ass and HUGE

Verreaux's Eagle Owl

Probably one of my favorite pictures from the trip, Pearl Spotted Owlet

Greater Kestrel, you guys getting tired of birds yet? Don't worry, lots and lots of lizards coming next

Saw this very recenlty and still moving juvenile Mole Snake, people aren't paying attention inside the park either, saw 2 DOR Cape Cobras as well.

The only big cat we saw was this large family of Cheetah. A mom and 4 cubs

Lilac Breasted Roller

Black-backed Jackal

Our last night I shot the Milky Way to show how good the stars are there

After leaving the Kgalagadi, we stopped by Augrabies Falls National Park on the way back to check out what they have there.
A large waterfall...
some Rock Hyrax
Vervet Monkey
and some great lizards in this park.

Augrabies Flat Lizards are brilliantly colored

And some awesome Rock Agamas to round out the trip
and this brilliant male Rock Agama in all his glory

Thanks for making it this far and checking it out. We're doing this contest for 2 more years so I will have another shot at getting some snakes next year while down there, but for sure I need to go out with someone who's from there to find some good roads. The ones I chose were just too busy and didn't work.
Schell

Re: South Africa Sept 28-Oct 8, 2011

Post by Schell »

Awesome shots of some crazy-cool animals. Well done!! Can't wait to get to SA/Namibia.

Cheers,

Rob
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Schell wrote:Awesome shots of some crazy-cool animals. Well done!! Can't wait to get to SA/Namibia.

Cheers,

Rob
It's a long, long flight/drive but worth it. Considering we were about 4 hours from the Kimberley airport, our trip home with the drive took us about 36 hours, ugh. Kimberley-Johannesberg-Paris-LAX, but so awesome.
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Looks like an AWESOME trip to Africa!!! :beer:

Next time, though, can you photograph some LIVE snakes? :lol:
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

croteseeker wrote:Looks like an AWESOME trip to Africa!!! :beer:

Next time, though, can you photograph some LIVE snakes? :lol:
For sure I will. Believe me, both times I missed getting a shot of Cape Cobras, I was just dying inside, knowing I was probably not going to get any more chances. So pissed. But, I won't be denyed next time!
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

My freakin' heart is pounding viewing those photos. You are really spectacular at photography and luck. I get the feeling you weren't there long and got shots of things that many photographers probably dream of... and... skateboarding as a living??????... Only in america.

I'm serious... thank you. I could dream of seeing such stuff let alone getting it on film(?)... ok digital medium.

Can I ask you if you can send me a copy of the Leopard tortoise to use? email me at [email protected]... please.
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Dude. That 2nd DOR cape is a heartbreak!
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

-EJ wrote:My freakin' heart is pounding viewing those photos. You are really spectacular at photography and luck. I get the feeling you weren't there long and got shots of things that many photographers probably dream of... and... skateboarding as a living??????... Only in america.

I'm serious... thank you. I could dream of seeing such stuff let alone getting it on film(?)... ok digital medium.

Can I ask you if you can send me a copy of the Leopard tortoise to use? email me at [email protected]... please.
Thanks for all the kind words. We were actually in the Kgalagadi area for only about 4 days or so, but made the most of it. I made my wife put in some long hours on the roads looking for stuff. Next time I'll have a bit better game plan. Skateboarding has been my life since about 1986, and 1990 for work, so I'm lucky to be a part of it.
I'll email you soon.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Wow! Great assortment of mammals. I sure hope you weren't disappointed with *only* seeing a family of Cheetah. That's quite a privilege. The bat-eared fox are really cool. Thanks for sharing.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

You're killin' me... 4 days???????? You're special.

I have to ask... what photo equipment do you use?
Rothdigga wrote:
-EJ wrote:My freakin' heart is pounding viewing those photos. You are really spectacular at photography and luck. I get the feeling you weren't there long and got shots of things that many photographers probably dream of... and... skateboarding as a living??????... Only in america.

Thanks for all the kind words. We were actually in the Kgalagadi area for only about 4 days or so, but made the most of it. I made my wife put in some long hours on the roads looking for stuff. Next time I'll have a bit better game plan. Skateboarding has been my life since about 1986, and 1990 for work, so I'm lucky to be a part of it.
I'll email you soon.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

That looks like it was a great trip. That Aardvark is particularly nice, and not the easiest animal to see. That Tent Tortoise would have been a heart breaker for me.

Your Duiker may be a Steenbok. I'm on the road and don't have a field guide on me, but I'm pretty sure.

Curtis
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Damn dude, that's awesome. That bee-eater is beautiful and capturing those Cape foxes like you did was stunning. I can't even imagine rolling up on a cobra while road driving! Youv'e been putting that 17-40 to good use also.

Congratulations...and I still hate you :beer:
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Kevin Price wrote:Damn dude, that's awesome. That bee-eater is beautiful and capturing those Cape foxes like you did was stunning. I can't even imagine rolling up on a cobra while road driving! Youv'e been putting that 17-40 to good use also.

Congratulations...and I still hate you :beer:
Just wait till I go to Peru and into the Manu Reserve, then you can hate me even more. Thanks for checking those out.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

[quote="-EJ"]You're killin' me... 4 days???????? You're special.

I have to ask... what photo equipment do you use?

I've got a Canon 5d Mk II, got one right when it came out about 2-3 years ago now. Love that camera.
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Another interesting and wonderful post, nice.

This Verreaux's Eagle Owl is outstanding. Thanks for the post.

-Dell

p.s.
Do you know Tony Alva? Just kidding around. ;)
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Dell Despain wrote:Another interesting and wonderful post, nice.

This Verreaux's Eagle Owl is outstanding. Thanks for the post.

-Dell

p.s.
Do you know Tony Alva? Just kidding around. ;)
I was pretty interested in finding some of the 6 Owl species they had around there and was pleased by finding this. Although it was so windy, it wouldn't open it's eyes to look at me.
Tony was a bit before my time, but I know quite a few others, ha.
WW**

Post by WW** »

Rothdigga wrote: I got a little advice from some locals before going about road cruising and hiking, but COLD temps hit immediately after I got there. The nights were down in the high 30's. I road cruised 1 day but cold and windy yeilded nothing at all.
South Africa is good at arranging weather like that for visiting herpers. I remember being followed by cold fronts for 3 weeks solid while travelling the length and breadth of the country and seeing very little as a result, despite it being their mid-summer.

Superb photos of mammals, birds and lizards though. And those DOR cobras are real heart-breakers!
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

Great post and wonderful photography.
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

Wow, that looked like a very cool trip. I especially like some of those lizards! Thanks for sharing.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Great post, great photos. That first cobra is amazing. I think the juvi molesnake would have torn my heart out.

The PS Owlet is a great photo, but the last Cape Fox juvi is really awesome. You could certainly sell someone that photo.

Chris
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

EPIC.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post. Your photography is excellent. I wouldn't worry about too many bird or mammal pics :beer:

what a trip. thanks!

-Mike
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Mike Pingleton wrote:EPIC.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post. Your photography is excellent. I wouldn't worry about too many bird or mammal pics :beer:

what a trip. thanks!

-Mike
Mike- You seem to go on quite a few good trips yourself so I appreciate the compliments. I think I have a few more bird photos that I'll throw up in the birding section soon when I get to that.

Chrish- I knew you would be digging the bird photos in here. I was pretty excited to shoot the foxes for so long. They would dart into their burrow at each click of the shutter for the first 5 minutes or so then they stopped caring. I got some good video as well.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Curtis Hart wrote:

Your Duiker may be a Steenbok. I'm on the road and don't have a field guide on me, but I'm pretty sure.

Curtis
Curtis, I think you're right. It is a Steenbok. Much skinnier than the chunky Duiker.
Thanks!
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Awesome post! You have some serious photography skills. Im going to South Africa next week so this was perfect!
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Kfen wrote:Awesome post! You have some serious photography skills. Im going to South Africa next week so this was perfect!
Good timing to get you pumped up! Good luck, I hope you have much better luck than I did with snakes while there.
SnakeStick

Post by SnakeStick »

Awesome herps and great photography. Thanks for posting. Your unidentified skink might be a striped skink,Trachylepsis striata.
mrichardson

Post by mrichardson »

Great post. I visited the same places in May of this year. Was the Aardvark at Marrick Safari? I did two night drives there and failed to see one! I was pretty pissed but still had an awesome time. Your Aardvark photo is one of the best I've seen!

I had much better luck in the Kgalagadi with Puff Adder and Cape Cobra sightings. I also came across the usual DOR including a Rock Monitor between Upington and KTP.

By the way, the Kgalagadi skinks are Karasburg Tree Skinks Trachylepis sparsa.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

mrichardson wrote:Great post. I visited the same places in May of this year. Was the Aardvark at Marrick Safari? I did two night drives there and failed to see one! I was pretty pissed but still had an awesome time. Your Aardvark photo is one of the best I've seen!

I had much better luck in the Kgalagadi with Puff Adder and Cape Cobra sightings. I also came across the usual DOR including a Rock Monitor between Upington and KTP.

By the way, the Kgalagadi skinks are Karasburg Tree Skinks Trachylepis sparsa.
Yeah, the aardvark was at Marrick. We saw 2 on our night drive. I also hiked there each morning while in Kimberley for 4 days straight. I was actually bummed on the mega glare in the aardvark's eye, but there's no way around it.
Thanks for the info on the skinks, i will update that.
mrichardson

Post by mrichardson »

I've seen quite a few Aardvark photos taken at Marrick (usually the back end of a grey lump)- I wouldn't worry too much about the eye glare!

If you're interested my Kgalagadi trip report can be found here (skip past the intro). http://wildlifewanderer.co.uk/2011Kalahari.aspx Not uploaded the Marrick part yet.
frogshot

Post by frogshot »

Awesome post and great photos. It must have been amazing to see the bat eared foxes. The Platysaurus were a great find.
pete

Post by pete »

That post was FANTASTIC!! Loved the birds n mammals mixed in! :thumb:
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

mrichardson wrote:I've seen quite a few Aardvark photos taken at Marrick (usually the back end of a grey lump)- I wouldn't worry too much about the eye glare!

If you're interested my Kgalagadi trip report can be found here (skip past the intro). http://wildlifewanderer.co.uk/2011Kalahari.aspx Not uploaded the Marrick part yet.
Funny, I searched Bibron's Gecko's on Flickr and you and I are just about the only ones with photos of them on there. I saw yours before you wrote this. You saw some great stuff, awesome photos from your trip, thanks for sending the link.

Frogshot- It was cool to see all the foxes. Usually here in the states we just see them running across the road late at night and never out in the open like that.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Outstanding camera work, especially the birds. ...not to mention, what and adventure!!! :thumb: :shock: 8-)
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Excellent photos of beautiful animals!
Scott Lupien

Post by Scott Lupien »

Hey, Rothdigga! Very, very cool! I just posted my own South African herp post and then noticed yours (which is much better, by the way!) You do have an awesome job! One of my good buddies (neighbor and classmate) growing up was Tony Hawk and we used to skate together (though I was never very good at it.) Do you know him?

My job is also very cool. I live in Beijing and have my own safari company (see www.52safari.com) I take wealthy Chinese on safaris around the world -- but mostly to South Africa.

If you are interested, I have lots of mammal shots that I can post. So far I've only posted the herps, given that this is a herping forum. But I see that everyone enjoyed your non-herp photos so perhaps I will share mine.

Regards,

Scott
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Scott Lupien wrote:Hey, Rothdigga! Very, very cool! I just posted my own South African herp post and then noticed yours (which is much better, by the way!) You do have an awesome job! One of my good buddies (neighbor and classmate) growing up was Tony Hawk and we used to skate together (though I was never very good at it.) Do you know him?

My job is also very cool. I live in Beijing and have my own safari company (see http://www.52safari.com) I take wealthy Chinese on safaris around the world -- but mostly to South Africa.

If you are interested, I have lots of mammal shots that I can post. So far I've only posted the herps, given that this is a herping forum. But I see that everyone enjoyed your non-herp photos so perhaps I will share mine.

Regards,

Scott
Thanks Scott. For sure throw up those Mammal photos on your post. I was reluctant to post birds/mammals but everyone is hyped on here to see all the stuff so post away my friend. I do know Tony, I was only pro during the 90's and never got to last as long as him, but got to skate with him and a bunch of guys who skated for his company.
You do have a fun job, I'm actually envious of what you do. I was just in China this year running a skate contest in Shanghai for Nike. We'll be there next summer again for the "Nike Festival Of Sport".
Scott Lupien

Post by Scott Lupien »

Ok, I will post some of them. If you see Tony again, please say hello from Scott Lupien. I've not seen him since 7th grade in San Diego! And if you make it back to China, let me know in advance. As Kevin can attest, I have some really great herping spots outside of Beijing!!
Regards,
Scott