Centruroides are now in CA

Field and captive invertebrates discussion forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

lateralis

Centruroides are now in CA

Post by lateralis »

At least in one development but who knows how many others are affected. I was called to assist the local mosquito vector control district last night for a survey and in the span of 20-30 mins we bagged 15 bark scorpions at one house. It was bizarre to see that many in so short a time. Mostly adults but several juvies were also bagged. 3 of the ones not caught were under the eve of the house and just crawled into the attic when spotted. There have been about 100 found in the past 2 years. the homeowners have been hit twice and after telling them what we found I won't be surprised to see them put the house up for sale lol.
BillMcGighan

Re: Centruroides are now in CA

Post by BillMcGighan »

Any idea of species? AZ Bark Scorpions?
gcsnelling

Post by gcsnelling »

I have seen specimens from various locations in Southern California over the years in numbers enough to conclude they were parts of established populations and not just random individuals.
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Hi Bill,
Centruroides are one of two scorpions in the Buthidae family that occur in the US as I understand things. The topic of this post is indeed an AZ bark scorpion, there were 15 vouchers collected at one site the other nite...rather disturbing to see that many in less than 20-30 mins! Ive read in the literature that they are known to occur in CA but apparently are restricted to the Colorado River area in low numbers.
gcsnelling

Post by gcsnelling »

The specimens I have seen were from Long Beach Calif. and the Solana Beach area.
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

GCS that is interesting were they in the field or near habitation?
gcsnelling

Post by gcsnelling »

In all cases they were associated with homes.