North Carolina in September

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jacobleecd

North Carolina in September

Post by jacobleecd »

Hi all,
I'm gonna be visiting Durham, North Carolina September 3rd - Sept 17th to decide if we're going to move there, and I'm hoping I might get some solid herping in while I'm there.

Outside of my current state of California, I haven't had much experience herping north of Georgia. I could definitely use any advice that anyone has to offer, particularly in relationship to what technique, habitat and species expectations might work in early September around the triangle. Obviously, I'm not specifically requesting any exact locations. In the off chance that anyone would like to meet up, please feel free pm me.

I can't get too far out of the triangle, but I would be thrilled to see Eastern Hognose Snakes, Eastern Kings, Mole Kings and possibly Spotted, Red and Marbled Salamanders (among others). Of course, I'd be happy with anything. My plan right now is just to try and hike up things or flip natural cover, largely because I don't know the area and what roads I can find nearby look like they receive decent traffic.