Advices for South Africa herping trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kevinrobert

Advices for South Africa herping trip

Post by kevinrobert »

Hi eveybody!

One friend and I are planning a trip in march to South Africa (east part).
We're especially interested by photographing snakes and other reptiles.
We like to be free, self guided and discover animals by ourself. I have the feeling that in South Africa, all is in the reserves with no permission to herp during the night and mandatory guide . Am I right?
Do you know some interesting places where we're free to go as we want?

Best Regards
Rob
Kfen

Re: Advices for South Africa herping trip

Post by Kfen »

I visited SA once in 2010. You might be able to find my post here by searching, I dont remember if that was pre or post crash. I traveled more around the western cape and there were plenty of opportunites to herp on your own. Im not sure if it is the same in the east. In the eastern part, I only visited Kruger. You can visit Kruger on your own. While you are not allowed to exit your vehicle in most places, there are some areas you are allowed and herps can be found. I also did very well herping the grounds of the camps. For example we found a mozambique spitter, stiletto, chameleons, and more inside the camps. Pick some of the more primitive camps and you can do well. Kruger was incredible and I hightly recommend it. Good luck. Be sure to post here, I hope this website begins a revival of the glory days.