Introduce Myself

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hikeCarmel

Introduce Myself

Post by hikeCarmel »

Hi I am Mark

I live in Carmel California and am looking for some like minded people to explore the area with.

Tonights a new moon and thinking of cruising if anyone is interested.

I am not keeping anything just taking pictures.

I have been into reptiles most of my life. After getting my degree in biology from UC Santa Cruz I read all the magazines available and started my library of books and learning as much as I could about the hobby. My first breeding project was some common Boas. I then started collecting colubrids and sold my collection about ten years ago before moving back to Carmel to take care of my mom in Carmel.

To fill the void I have been doing more field herping mostly just hiking not doing much flipping or cruising.

Yesterday while hiking I found a little gopher snake while hiking

I recently went down to Tucson and camped by Red Rock Canyon in the Mojave and did a little looking around.
and saw a few things on that trip. I enjoy the desert and am always looking for someone to explore with.

Not sure if any pictures came out still learning the ropes. I'll post more pictures of my trips and what I've found on some of my hikes in later posts. Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and try to connect with some folks in the area that might want to hangout
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hikeCarmel

Re: Introduce Myself

Post by hikeCarmel »

here is the little gogher snake I saw while hiking last week
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hikeCarmel

Post by hikeCarmel »

This ringneck I found while biking at Ft. Ord. about a two months ago.
hikeCarmel

Post by hikeCarmel »

A nice day at Ft. Ord . It had just rained a couple days before and saw some boards and they looked like a good spot to look.
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Mark,
I live in Oregon, am now 90, and just underwent knee replacement surgery. So I won’t be down to your region soon.

Since 2019, I have traveled to your region of California making searches for the Rubber Boa along the central California coast in Monterey and San Luis Obispo Counties. My last visit was this past Feb. 14th. Due to slides across Hwy. 1, I was not able to get any further down the coast than just south of Big Sur.

No boas were encountered but I did confirm that during the winter time in your region, other species of herp occur under surface objects during the winter months. I came across garter snakes, gopher snakes, S. Alligator Lizards and W. Fence Lizards.

Should by chance you come across a Rubber Boa during your hiking and night driving, please hang onto it an get in touch with me. Two years ago, a physician that lives in Monterey came across a Rubber Boa along Old Coast Road. I was able to get a tissue sample from that specimen. And I have recorded other sightings of the species in both Monterey and San Luis Obispo Counties.

A number of years ago, another herper came across a Rubber Boa and Common Sharp-tailed Snake on Palo Colorado Road down near Turner Creek. He photographed the Sharp-tail but not the boa. That road has been closed about 3 miles inland ever since I made my trips south.

So keep me in mind should you come across a boa or have decent information at to sightings of the species in your region.

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon) ([email protected])
hikeCarmel

Post by hikeCarmel »

Funny you should ask about rubber boas. I have found two on the same hiking trail at the mouth of Carmel Valley. One I found in the fall and the second I found in the early spring. Both I found hiking at about 3pm on cooler days. Both snakes were on the same trail and only about twenty feet apart. The trail is a popular trail and people walked right past the snakes taking no notice. The first I kept a few days to take some pictures, I didn't have my phone with me when I found it. I am pretty sure they were not the same snake. The last picture is the snake I had found in the fall and the other pictures of the one I found in the spring.
Richard F. Hoyer

Hi,
At the bottom of your most recent post is the following:
“You do not have the required permission to view the files attached to this post.”

So if you can do so, could you send me those photos via email? Photographs are now accepted as documented sighting by institutions. So if I had those photos, the approximate locality data (GPS data), and dates of observations, I would like to submit those photos and accompany information to some institution such as the U. Calif. Mus. of Vert Zoology.

There very, very few records of the Rubber Boa from Monterey County and San Luis Obispo County as well. In recent years, there there now have been several photos of boas observed in Montana de Oro State Park on one dead specimen that was found on a hiking / biking trail.

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon [email protected])
Richard F. Hoyer

With my posting a response, those photos of the boas showed up on the forum. But my offer still is as stated.

Richard F. Hoyer